The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Splurchers!!

EMILY

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Noticed an advertisement in the Western Dailt Press on Saturday for some Splurcher puppies - did not say the exact breeding, but guess they are Springer Spaniel X Lurcher! Ideal countrymans companion supposedly!! Anyway the pups are £450 each!!!!!!????? :b :- " :(

HOW MUCH ????????

surely theres a missprint lol

I thought there must have been a mis-print too, but I honestly think the breeders think these pups are worth the money being asked! Have to say I personally don't like to think of the lurcher being crossed in this way, but each to his own! :- "

SPLURCHER Puppies, ultimate country companions, very elegant with adorable characters. Superbly tempered black smooth coat dog/bitch puppies. E-mail photos avail. £475 each. Telephone *******. **************near Ross on Wye

whippet.kd said:
SPLURCHER Puppies, ultimate country companions, very elegant with adorable characters. Superbly tempered black smooth coat dog/bitch puppies. E-mail photos avail. £475 each. Telephone *******. **************near Ross on Wye

Thanks Kim - they are even more than I remember and I had to look twice at the ad when I first saw it to check I wasn't seeing things! Would be interesting to see what the pups look like though! :- "

The more they cost the more desirable to some people I suppose , once upon a time they would have been called MONGRELS or MUTTS m but I suppose in the strictest definitions of the term they are still lurchers :- "

Best_friends_small.jpg

Hi all,

I am new on here, but guess what I have a splurcher. He is 2 now and he is oh so handsome.

I will put a pic on here for all to see. Dad is a brindle lurcher and mum is a black cocker.

Hope that attachment worked, if not let me know and I will try again.

Love Lisa

They've been bred over here in Ireland a few time's,but alway's Springerxgreyhound,they apparently make great ferreting dog's,though where they get the lightning speed that a good ferreting dog need's,beet's me. Are pretty good on the lamp,though some tend to hunt the rabbit's on,after missing.Acardinal sin,(if there's any such thing)in a lamp dog.I can see some avenue's where they would be very usefull,as they would be great stayer's,with exelent nose,and soft mouth.Think i'll stick to what i have though. ...Billy... Forgot to add,the fetch about 30/50 quid.

Last edited by a moderator:
006.JPGHi Billy,

They are great runners, Scrappy can really move, he does have a very soft mouth and his sense of smell is like nothing else. We also have a lab called Betty and a border collie called Guinness.

I am not into hunting personally, we have horses too and my sis and b-in-law go hunting, lamping, ferreting etc. They breed ferrets and lurchers and there is also a rabbit on the go in there kitchen. :rant:

008.JPGwouldnt let me do anothe picture so I will show off Betty on this one. They are all beautiful and we have 3 cats too that they get on with. Our latest addition is Tinkerbell, she is about 10 weeks old now and she is a lovely kittie kat, she was wrapped up in a carpet and dumped in a wheelie. :rant:

We paid £250 for Scrappy, he is worth every penny. I love lurchers and spaniels so for me the ideal mix. He def has the american cocker trait though of being a barker and growler.

splurchers-mum said:
We paid £250 for Scrappy, he is worth every penny. I love lurchers and spaniels so for me the ideal mix. He def has the american cocker trait though of being a barker and growler.
bred my first litter of lurcher x springer spaniel xgsp back in the early 90s.what agood alrounder,would work fur or feather,and stay all day or night.lady p ,somerset lurchers.

ladyp said:
splurchers-mum said:
bred my first litter of lurcher x springer spaniel xgsp back in the early 90s.what agood alrounder,would work fur or feather,and stay all day or night.lady p ,somerset lurchers.

Did you? We only brought him because he was a friends litter and we wanted someone for Betty at the time, we had not long lost our yorkie, I love both lurchers and spaniels so decision made. Never knew though at the time that splurchers would become kind of trendy, they have over the past few months, like the doodles I suppose.

Scrappy is a beauty though.

Lisa. X

hi lisa just got the pm and just seen your other pics all your dogs are :wub: julie

I guess a splurcher would make a good working dog but it seems there`s a growing demand for "designer dogs" with labradoodles fetching upto £950!They`re also being sold as ideal for those who are allergic to dogs,which apparently is a myth as most shed hair like any other dog!

Obviously you can charge a fortune for a crossbreed/mongrel if you can produce an amusing name containing bit of both breed names.

I`m also told that labradoodle pups can now come with a certificate purchased from the kennel club for £20-god knows what that is!

A labradoodle owner i know proudly boasts its kennel name-i thought that was only available to pure bred dogs? The mind boggles.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Fynns Fan said:
I guess a splurcher would make a good working dog but it seems there`s a growing demand for "designer dogs" with labradoodles fetching upto £950!They`re also being sold as ideal for those who are allergic to dogs,which apparently is a myth as most shed hair like any other dog!Obviously you can charge a fortune for a crossbreed/mongrel if you can produce an amusing name containing bit of both breed names.

I`m also told that labradoodle pups can now come with a certificate purchased from the kennel club for £20-god knows what that is!

A labradoodle owner i know proudly boasts its kennel name-i thought that was only available to pure bred dogs? The mind boggles.....

They are good workers, they have 2 good workers in them. Believe me though they shed hair. Scraps sheds more than the other 2, the 3 cats, the rabbit and the 3 horses put together.

The kc does recognise them and doodles now I have been told.

I am not into all the showing stuff though, I find it unnatural, no offence to anyone who is. My dogs are my family as are all my other animals and I would never be without any of them.

Lisa. X

I should imagine splurchers are less laid back having the spaniel mix!

I`ve never met a splurcher and will now keep my eyes peeled on my travels...

Hi there, am new here, but was directed to this thread when I googled "splurchers" lol

Just wanted to say, that my friend has a splurcher, she's nine years old (there abouts) and is a truely lovely dog. To say that you dont like the "breed" being mixed in this way... could be true of any breed. Indeed a "lurcher" was once a mix of breeds in itself until the Kennel Club recognised them as a breed..the original lurchers were crosses between, a greyhound and a deerhound... it had the speed of the G/hound, and the hunting capabilities of the D/hound. and were popular with Gypsies, for poaching.

I have met many types of Lurchers, including a Collie x Saluki (fast and quick witted) my friends dog, splurcher (spaniel x lurcher) some of the mixes are just gorgeous

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back