The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Steroid use on dogs

Jen37

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
HI my little lady has skin allergies and is has been on and off steriods I don't peculiar want to continue down this path as I have read the serious side effects is there an alternative ???? Change of diet creams, sprays etc its heartbreaking watching her itch so much I wash her with just cool water sometimes when she itchs to much it seems to be her pads more any thoughts guys thanks

Sorry not to be more helpful but your vet is the only person who can advise properly. There re alternatives like soothing washes, antihistamines and drugs like apoquel but there may be good reason why your vet has not suggested these. There is a product called Stinky Stuff (and a related one produced because Stinky Stuff stinks; called Non Stinky Stuff) that might help ease it, but not necessarily resolve it Natural dog remedies - itchy skin, minor wounds, ticks, mites and fleas

Ideally you would be able to find out the cause of the itching, and eliminate that - whether it is food, mites, or environmental factors. A surprising number of dogs are allergic to chicken for example so finding a food with a single novel protein such as kangaroo, and feeding only that (no treats unless they are also kangaroo) for at least six weeks, would help establish if it is food related. If she does better, you can gradually add back one new food at a time: again over a six week period to identify what the trigger is. Many people find their dogs do better on raw - what are you feeding?

A skin scrape would help identify her mite load - all dogs have mites (as do we) but there are treatments if it is high.

Changing your household cleaning products and an environment with hard floors and leather furniture might help if she is allergic to dust mites although redecorating the house for the dog is a little extreme!

If it is mainly her pads, could it be a grass allergy?

Last edited:
Sorry not to be more helpful but your vet is the only person who can advise properly. There re alternatives like soothing washes, antihistamines and drugs like apoquel but there may be good reason why your vet has not suggested these. There is a product called Stinky Stuff (and a related one produced because Stinky Stuff stinks; called Non Stinky Stuff) that might help ease it, but not necessarily resolve it Natural dog remedies - itchy skin, minor wounds, ticks, mites and fleas

Ideally you would be able to find out the cause of the itching, and eliminate that - whether it is food, mites, or environmental factors. A surprising number of dogs are allergic to chicken for example so finding a food with a single novel protein such as kangaroo, and feeding only that (no treats unless they are also kangaroo) for at least six weeks, would help establish if it is food related. If she does better, you can gradually add back one new food at a time: again over a six week period to identify what the trigger is. Many people find their dogs do better on raw - what are you feeding?

A skin scrape would help identify her mite load - all dogs have mites (as do we) but there are treatments if it is high.

Changing your household cleaning products and an environment with hard floors and leather furniture might help if she is allergic to dust mites although redecorating the house for the dog is a little extreme!

If it is mainly her pads, could it be a grass allergy?

Hi thanks for your reply im currently feeding her dry food called orlando I did try her on tails but that didng help my vet just prescibed steroids she has been to the vets several times and he has said that identifying the actual allergy is not 100percent guaranteed and generally isnt I have her insured but it dosent cover her skin allergy as it was a pre excisting condition I really dont want her on steriods as a dogs life is short enough so I want to try alternatives I will take ur advice and change her food where can I buy kangaroo food thank you

Orlando isn't a great food to be honest. Akela does a kangaroo range but that was only an example - something she is unlikely to have had before. You might be able to use fish as an easier alternative but I really would suggest rethinking Orlando.

Have a look at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

It is an independent dog food comparison website which scores all types of foods (dry, raw, wet) on a scale of 0 to 5. You can set filters for your dog's weight, age etc, avoiding things like grain and chicken, and choose to view only the foods scoring, say, 4 and above (one of the Orlando foods scores 0.1 - as low as you can get :eek:). Then you can show them listed according to daily feeding cost so you can see what gives you best value for money.

Last edited:
Thank you I will definitely be changing her food on that score its just a case of trial and error now I just want her to be comfortable thanks for your help

Hi,
Speak to your vet about any more of the below topics..

Some long term affects of using steriods include:

• increased susceptibility to opportunistic or secondry bacterial infections
  • Poor wound healing ability
  • And development of thin skin, blackheads, and poor thin hair coat.
Does your dog use prednisone? ¨Prednisone is the most potent anti-inflammatory and anti-itch steroid and is used often for treating allergies.¨

Would DERMagic be a concideration for your dog? It´s a four-step process to eliminate itching of any sorts without the use of steriods. But according to reviews its good but has a discusting smell, but if it is affective then I think you could deal with the smell.

Woukd you also consider adding vitamin C to the dogs food, at least 100 mg per day - speak to your vet before administering vitamin C.

What diet/food does your dog eat? Has she always been itchy or has this just suddenly happend?

Does your dog chew her paws? If so it is reccomended to change her usual processed diet for a RAW diet. If she does chew her paws frequently then speak to your vet about a couple of tests they can do; Urine test for a kidney problem, and could also be a good idea to test for thyroid problem.
In regards to a suppliment Pets@Home sell a suppliment called YuMega Itchy Skin Dog Suppliment. It has great reviews.
I really hope this helps if you would like to know more about raw feeding im sure @excuseme would be happy to help as she raw feeds her dogs. I hope your dog gets better soon - Violet :))
Source-www.allergydogcentral.com

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply im going to change to a raw diet I think bella and duke is what im gonna try im feeding her a dry mix called Orlando which I have just found it is not as good as thought I will also try the DERMagic I will not be bothered by the smell I will try and test what I can to make her comfortable as she is very precious to me thank you

Your very welcome, anything to make you and your sweet dog better :)

Hi,
I have had a look at your first thread and would like to help you and your dog..
Speak to your vet about any more of the below topics..

Some long term affects of using steriods include:

• increased susceptibility to opportunistic or secondry bacterial infections
  • Poor wound healing ability
  • And development of thin skin, blackheads, and poor thin hair coat.
Does your dog use prednisone? ¨Prednisone is the most potent anti-inflammatory and anti-itch steroid and is used often for treating allergies.¨

Would DERMagic be a concideration for your dog? It´s a four-step process to eliminate itching of any sorts without the use of steriods. But according to reviews its good but has a discusting smell, but if it is affective then I think you could deal with the smell.

Woukd you also consider adding vitamin C to the dogs food, at least 100 mg per day - speak to your vet before administering vitamin C.

What diet/food does your dog eat? Has she always been itchy or has this just suddenly happend?

Does your dog chew her paws? If so it is reccomended to change her usual processed diet for a RAW diet. If she does chew her paws frequently then speak to your vet about a couple of tests they can do; Urine test for a kidney problem, and could also be a good idea to test for thyroid problem.
In regards to a suppliment Pets@Home sell a suppliment called YuMega Itchy Skin Dog Suppliment. It has great reviews.
I really hope this helps if you would like to know more about raw feeding im sure @excuseme would be happy to help as she raw feeds her dogs. I hope your dog gets better soon - Violet :

Please can you add where you got this information Violet? It does come across that you are a vet when you say ‘ I have read your first thread and I would like to help you and your dog’

Sorry @Josie i have edited my post and added the source. I am sorry that i sound like a vet its just i have never got out of that life style even to this day still. And have a silly brain that doesnt make me think straight :) I will definatly remember Source Source Source...! But is the information okay what i put down?Some things above i do just know but others i dont so i forget to add the sources. Also i am currently typing via my TV, as my laptop had some updates it needed to do, so if there is typos sorry and when i get back to work i will edit it all and make sure it sounds Aokay

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back