The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Stud Fee's

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Vicky said:
kris said:
dunno about it being cheap to have a stud dog but in  dobermanns we had to have them xrayed for hip dysplasia and  scored for cervical spondylosis and that wasnt cheap i can tell you. (w00t) i know theres no comparison between that and the money it costs  to rear a litter of pups (and thats without the vets bills!) but in most pedigree dogs these days noone will use a dog unless its been tested and scored for all the  breed problems that can occur in a breed.also you can be held legally liable these days for breeding a pup with inheirited disorders so its better to be safe than sorry as any puppy owner taking a breeder to court  would have an extremely good case in law if the breeder didnt use a dog at stud that had been tested and scored.it amounts to negligence in a legal case. :)
Obviously in non ped whippets non of the above is necessary and the cost of putting a dog at stud is nothing in comparison to raising a litter well.

very true, but without wishing to start any arguements, just because a dog is non ped doesnt exclude it from certain conditions. papers or not, surely any responsible breeder would want to only use the healthiest stud?

on epupz i've seen a non kc reg staff stud whose owner still paid out for an eye test.

but on the flip side, i've also seen on champdogs a kc reg staff stud being offered out despite NO eyetest, as well as being one balled :wacko:

oh well. at the end of the day, everyone makes their own choices.

hellbound said:
Vicky said:
But a stud dog could mate say 30 bitches and a brood bitch only have 2 litters, so i think stud dogs owners are getting a fair enough deal as it is.  Also people are saying about what people are charging for pups in relation to the stud fee, the bitch's owners put a lot more into it than the stud's owner, they feed the bitch (hopefully the best they can) for 9 weeks and then the same for the pups for the next 6-8 weeks, worming, dewclaws etc and most of all time.

this is true but if the brood bitch had 7 pups each time and they are sold for £150 each thats £2100,

a stud dog mating 30 bitches at £50 a time £1500,

the stud dog would after mate 42 bitches to make £2100,

30 bitches is very good amount for any stud dog to line,if they are lucky enough to get them that is.

7 isn't an average litter though is it, if you went off 5 in two litters it'd work out the same. Marillion / Dream Vision and the like would have mated more than 30 bitches.

lalena said:
very true, but without wishing to start any arguements, just because a dog is non ped doesnt exclude it from certain conditions. papers or not, surely any responsible breeder would want to only use the healthiest stud?on epupz i've seen a non kc reg staff stud whose owner still paid out for an eye test.

but on the flip side, i've also seen on champdogs a kc reg staff stud being offered out despite NO eyetest, as well as being one balled :wacko:

What conditions do you know of in non ped whippets then that are going to stop them doing the job they were bred for and that could be tested for in a stud dog?

Vicky said:
lalena said:
very true, but without wishing to start any arguements, just because a dog is non ped doesnt exclude it from certain conditions. papers or not, surely any responsible breeder would want to only use the healthiest stud?on epupz i've seen a non kc reg staff stud whose owner still paid out for an eye test.

What conditions do you know of in non ped whippets then that are going to stop them doing the job they were bred for and that could be tested for in a stud dog?

i'm the first to admit ignorance in whippet conditions :b i was making a generalised statement. every breed has its own problems, be it hips, eyes, cryptorchidism etc etc. my uncle had a briard that suffered an inherited back complaint :( i know of a stud that threw many cleft palates, but his owner kept it quiet :angry: imagine having to cull an entire litter :(

if a breed is genetically prone to a condition, and a test is available, its only sensible to use it.

i'd be interested in Neil,s veiws are on his topic as i believe his first mating with his greyhound bitch was to a greyhound stud dog costing £500 with the same risk attached ie will the pups make the grade just the same as will whippet pups make the grade.

lalena said:
i'm the first to admit ignorance in whippet conditions :b i was making a generalised statement. every breed has its own problems, be it hips, eyes, cryptorchidism etc etc. my uncle had a briard that suffered an inherited back complaint :(   i know of a stud that threw many cleft palates, but his owner kept it quiet :angry: imagine having to cull an entire litter :( if a breed is genetically prone to a condition, and a test is available, its only sensible to use it.

I think whippets as a breed have stayed pretty much free of any hereditary problems, the only thing which seems to be quite a problem is Monorchid/chryptorchid pups produced from stud dogs with the same problem. I presume the gene pool is so small anyway and with serious lack of stud dogs people are continuing to use stud dogs with that condition.

Vicky said:
lalena said:
i'm the first to admit ignorance in whippet conditions :b i was making a generalised statement. every breed has its own problems, be it hips, eyes, cryptorchidism etc etc. my uncle had a briard that suffered an inherited back complaint :(   i know of a stud that threw many cleft palates, but his owner kept it quiet :angry: imagine having to cull an entire litter :( if a breed is genetically prone to a condition, and a test is available, its only sensible to use it.

I think whippets as a breed have stayed pretty much free of any hereditary problems, the only thing which seems to be quite a problem is Monorchid/chryptorchid pups produced from stud dogs with the same problem. I presume the gene pool is so small anyway and with serious lack of stud dogs people are continuing to use stud dogs with that condition.

thats good :thumbsup: breaks my heart when a breed gets to the point that it cannot be bred without pup fatality and/or c section :( a couple i sold a pup to used to show/breed english bulldogs. they gave it up because they couldnt keep going, that once a bitch did take, out of on average four pups, two or three died at birth :(

Vicky said:
But a stud dog could mate say 30 bitches and a brood bitch only have 2 litters, so i think stud dogs owners are getting a fair enough deal as it is.  Also people are saying about what people are charging for pups in relation to the stud fee, the bitch's owners put a lot more into it than the stud's owner, they feed the bitch (hopefully the best they can) for 9 weeks and then the same for the pups for the next 6-8 weeks, worming, dewclaws etc and most of all time.

:bitches owners put alot more into them : feed them 9 weeks up to when they have pups??? so if the bitch was not in pup u wouldent feed her :- " so what happens in the wild were there were no special feedin for 9 months lol

when the pups are born they are on the bitch 3 weeks correct me if im wrong

:teehee:

;wormin ; puppy multy wormer £6 a bottle

;dew claws: whats that cost ???? do erm yerself

if u want a pup out off your bitch and u want the right dog u will pay the stud fee

u making it sound vicky as u have a litter to make money out of it and the end off the day (U BREED FOR YERSELF)

upto a tun is more then anouth for a stud fee :wacko:

Your right andy breed for yourself. My first litter cost £50 stud had 2 i kept them both. Second litter no stud fee but had to go to to portsmouth 8 hour drive there and back 1 pup which i kept. Last litter £50 plus £100 vet fee's before she was mated plus petrol then she had a c-section. Sold 2 of the pups and kept 3 myself. So the 3 litters i've had i've been out of pocket, but i breed for myself and no body else. I still wouldn't have been able to buy 6 pups for the price it cost me to breed my own.

Last edited by a moderator:
we only breed for ourselfs ...it nice when friends order a pup and the bitch has enough to go round, but as i said only breed for ourselfs

Vicky said:
hellbound said:
Vicky said:

this is true but if the brood bitch had 7 pups each time and they are sold for £150 each thats £2100,

a stud dog mating 30 bitches at £50 a time £1500,

the stud dog would after mate 42 bitches to make £2100,

30 bitches is very good amount for any stud dog to line,if they are lucky enough to get them that is.

7 isn't an average litter though is it, if you went off 5 in two litters it'd work out the same. Marillion / Dream Vision and the like would have mated more than 30 bitches.

like you point out stud dogs 10 year ago would have mated 30 or more bitch's, alot more people were racing then,

Spellbound's mated 14 / 15 bitch's and all but 2 litter's have produced champion, Sup Ch's and Ch of Ch's, the 2 litter's that hav'nt, 1 litter only produced one pups, this went to a pet home, and the other litter, one of the pups got runner up at the New nwrf bend champs this year, so still have time to get title's, so from what people are saying i.e pups produced / from amount of bitch's mated, he's a brilliant stud dog

cracked it's, mated more bitch than Spellbound, around 20 / 21, bitch's and produced to many champion's / Sup Rch and Ch of Chs to list, from the bitch's he's mating, thats why hes top stud dog again in 2005, and i'm sure will have alot more champion next year, :luck:

along with Rch /Nch outbound and Ch of Ch's / Sup Nch Hellbound our other 2 stud dogs :thumbsup:

do agree with Andy most people in racing do breed because they want a pup

but its can be just as much trouble for the owner of the stud dog, if like me, you like to make sure that when someone wants to mate there bitch to one of my dogs i will do all i can to help, i.e i will and have kept the bitch at my house for upto a week to make sure it been mated on the right day, i have also travelled some miles to meet people if they want my dogs and then you get people saying they are coming with their bitch and don't turn up, :b

AndrewPocket said:
Vicky said:

:bitches owners put alot more into them : feed them 9 weeks up to when they have pups??? so if the bitch was not in pup u wouldent feed her :- " so what happens in the wild were there were no special feedin for 9 months lol

when the pups are born they are on the bitch 3 weeks correct me if im wrong

:teehee:

;wormin ; puppy multy wormer £6 a bottle

;dew claws: whats that cost ???? do erm yerself

if u want a pup out off your bitch and u want the right dog u will pay the stud fee

u making it sound vicky as u have a litter to make money out of it and the end off the day (U BREED FOR YERSELF)

upto a tun is more then anouth for a stud fee :wacko:

Bollocks Andy!!!!

People were making out that stud dogs are getting a duff deal and i was stating a fact, anyone who's litter is costing them less than the stud fee is doing something wrong, the only thing i was trying to point out was it costs more to rear a litter properly than to stand trying to mate a bitch with your stud dog!

I bred solely for myself and cost wasn't an issue, the pups got the best of everything and i'd do it all again tomorrow.

I think people breed for different reasons --some for themselves others do breed for the chance to make money--I bred for me no one else--not to make money ---breeding for money was never on my mind-- the welfare of the bitch-dog and pups always first and formost ---I would sooner give them to good pet homes rather than sell them to bad racing homes-- I will say if done right i cant see anyone making money out of breeding ---and thats my view from my own expeirences of breeding --- I have my own stud dogs so no fees required. Stud fees are what breeder is prepared to pay---without biitches ----NO STUD DOGS REQUIRED .

steve

kipper fluke said:
I will say if done right i cant see anyone making money out of breeding ---and thats my view from my own expeirences of breeding
Exactly, that was my point.

I paid £50 stud fee 19yrs ago to Vern & Joyces brinny (Country Music)! so IMO £150 stud fee nowdays is a fair price.

lalena quote

i'm the first to admit ignorance in whippet conditions i was making a generalised statement. every breed has its own problems, be it hips, eyes, cryptorchidism etc etc. my uncle had a briard that suffered an inherited back complaint i know of a stud that threw many cleft palates, but his owner kept it quiet imagine having to cull an entire litter

if a breed is genetically prone to a condition, and a test is available, its only sensible to use it.

:- "

that is a big problem in the kc pedigree side of breeding defomities in the offspring ,it's all caused by line breeding mother with son ect, the non ped whippet breeders try to get away as far as possible when breeding but that is becoming more & more difficult . :oops:

at the end of the day if you want a certain breeding you`ll pay the fee no matter what :p

i know its about whippet stud fees but go and look at some of the ghd stud fees!!!!

yes me and ritchie payed £500 stud fee,but think it takes alot more money to rear greyhound pups than whippets.i kept 2 wether they wil make owt who knows,but believe me it costs alot of money to rear a greyhound pup,not knowing if it will be any good or not. £150 stud fee for non ped whippet too much i think fletch.

NEILPEM said:
yes me and ritchie payed £500 stud fee,but think it takes alot more money to rear greyhound pups than whippets.i kept 2 wether they wil make owt who knows,but believe me it costs alot of money to rear a greyhound pup,not knowing if it will be any good or not.  £150 stud fee for non ped whippet too much i think fletch.
TIGHT ARSE

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back