The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Suggestions On Whippet Diet, Please!!

Ivan G

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

I'm new to the site, and after some suggestions. I have a 7 Month old Whippet, and we're experiencing a few problems with her stomach. I think its possibly down to my feeding more than anything else. She refuses to eat any dog food, as does our Jack Russell. What they are feed on is mixture of Ox Liver, Ox Heart and bakers complete biscuits. The Jack Russell is fine on this, However the whippet seems to be having the poos (sorry can't spell Diorreoh) about once a week. Looks like its time to change the diet a bit and would like some suggestions.

Cheers

Ivan

Hi there, welcome to k9. You'll find lots of whippet people here all happy to share their experiences and try to help where possible. I'm quite new to k9 too, but have owned whippets for the past 5yrs. Here's what worked for my boy Eli..... would suggest keeping your girl's diet very bland for the next few weeks, plain boiled rice & chicken being the obvious choice, perhaps a little scrambled egg. Should you wish to supplement with a complete food, i would go for Burns, which has no artificial additives and is recommended for sensitive tummies. Give her little tummy plenty of time to settle and if/when you feel the time is right to introduce other foods do it gradually, a tiny amount at a time (which i'm sure you already know). If the problem continues or worstens, a check up with the vet is in order, as there's a risk of dehydration, and to rule out anything more serious. Good luck!

Hi

I have had similar feeding problems to you but don't feel qualified to give too much advice as I'm still learning myself.

The only thing I would suggest is to stop feeding the Bakers Complete, it gave mine the runs too, and also to check out the FAQ pages on this website....but prepare to be baffled by it all!!!!

Good luck :luck:

Lucy

Hi we feed beef/tripe or chicken/tripe mixed with grated raw veg & pasta sometimes complete foods can have to much protine this can cause the runs as can over feeding hope everything turns out ok & welcome to k9 :luck:

i agree with what's been said about having too much protein there (I made that mistake in the beginning too, I didn't realise that feeding a complete, and adding extra protein was not good) - try swapping the baker's complete for a plain wholemeal mixer biscuit, and add in some veggies of your own (pulped is best, you can do a batch and freeze them in ice cube trays).

Try this link for previous discussions on diet in FAQ: http://www.k9community.co.uk/forums/index....showtopic=11525

Let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Welcome to K9 :cheers:

Everyone has their own views on this,but all my dogs have always been fed on Eukanuba as pups then moveing on to Iams when adult,this is what works for us ALWAYS. I have tried other foods including fresh meat,but found that it caused skin problems in a couple of my Whippets :(

We have had dogs for about 20yrs & bred on & off for about 15 of those & can honestly say that none of our dogs,adults or pups have suffered with runny tummys :x I also like the fact of knowing that you're feeding something that already has all the vits & mins in it that your dog needs so you don't have to mess about with supplements,what is'nt eaten goes back in the storage tin and where it does have to be left out say for a litter or lactating bitch,it does'nt attract flies (w00t) Also there is less end product & it is solid with very little smell :teehee:

All round I personally find it much easier to feed an extruded dog food of good quality, Burns as ponygirl said is a very good choice too as it was originally developed by a vet specifically for Westies, as they tend to suffer with skin allergies,so there is only Chicken,brown rice & sunflower oil in it. :D

The above is only my own preferance,but I must say after many years of trying different foods on different breeds of dogs (my husband had Gundogs as well as Danes) we have settled on the Eukanuba & Iams because it DOES EXACTLY WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN or in this case bag :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good luck with the search :luck: I know it takes a lot of time & patience to find a food that suits both you & your dog, so all the best :cheers:

05whippet said:
Hi, Welcome to K9  :cheers:
Everyone has their own views on this,but all my dogs  have always been fed on Eukanuba as pups then moveing on to Iams when adult,this is what works for us ALWAYS. I have tried other foods including fresh meat,but found that it caused skin problems in a couple of my Whippets  :(

We have had dogs for about 20yrs & bred on & off for about 15 of those & can honestly say that none of our dogs,adults or pups have suffered with runny tummys  :x   I also like the fact of knowing that you're feeding something that already has all the vits & mins in it that your dog needs so you don't have to mess about with supplements,what is'nt eaten goes back in the storage tin and where it does have to be left out say for a litter or lactating bitch,it does'nt attract flies  (w00t) Also there is less end product & it is solid with very little smell  :teehee:

All round I personally find it much easier to feed an extruded dog food of good quality, Burns as ponygirl said is a very good choice too as it was originally developed by a vet specifically for Westies, as they tend to suffer with skin allergies,so there is only Chicken,brown rice & sunflower oil in it.  :D

The above is only my own preferance,but I must say after many years of trying different foods on different breeds of dogs (my husband had Gundogs as well as Danes) we have settled on the Eukanuba & Iams because it DOES EXACTLY WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN or in this case bag  :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:

Good luck with the search  :luck:   I know it takes a lot of time & patience to find a food that suits both you & your dog, so all the best  :cheers:

Mmmmmmm ! Have you read about Iams

Iams/Eukanuba

Did you know that proctor & Gamble,who own Eukanuba,use & kill thousands of animals every year?

Here's the link for those interested.

http://www.uncaged.co.uk/iams.htm

Just thought i'd mention it for those who wish to have a clear conscience :thumbsup:

No I had'nt seen any of this...........Thanks!! :thumbsup:

BUT I have to say that honestly,after reading it I am STILL NOT against hunting,sorry!! The vivisection YES!! AND THE REST!!

Our Whippets are working dogs.......it's what the dog was bred to do,my husband & both hunt on horseback and until recently partook in Gundog trials & roughshooting,so for those of you out there that don't agree with hunting I'm sorry! but it's what we do & have done for years ,dont' mean to offend anyone :unsure:

Agree about the protein but just wanted to add that sometimes too much liver can cause diorrhea in my experience, I usually only give it once a week and that's combined with their usual diet of beef. The ox heart is fine with mine though.

alfyn said:
Millie said:
alfyn said:
Did you know that  proctor & Gamble,who own Eukanuba,use & kill thousands of animals every year?Here's the link for those interested.

http://www.uncaged.co.uk/iams.htm

Just thought i'd mention it for those who wish to have a clear conscience :thumbsup:

SNAP LOL :lol:

Great minds think alike! :D

Thanks for the inclusion of this kind of thought-provoking information - I've just added it in to FAQ, so if there are any other similar sites that people know of, please let me know - or feel free to add them yourself! They are really good subjects for discussion :thumbsup:

I also think that if you did a search and found out what actually went in to some (not all) commercially-produced pet foods, you wouldn't really want your pet consuming them :( I'll see if I can find some links ;)

05whippet said:
No I had'nt seen any of this...........Thanks!! :thumbsup:
BUT I have to say that honestly,after reading it I am STILL NOT  against hunting,sorry!! The vivisection YES!! AND THE REST!!

Our Whippets are working dogs.......it's what the dog was bred to do,my husband & both hunt on horseback and until recently partook in Gundog trials & roughshooting,so for those of you out there that don't agree with hunting I'm sorry! but it's what we do & have done for years ,dont' mean to offend anyone :unsure:

I'm not against hunting either, just cannot see why animals should be treated in this way just to produce dog food. :(

I'm not agains't hunting either, hunting has nothing to do with vivisection & what crap goes into dog food

No it has'nt, but that was NOT my point.

The site very obviously is run by people against anything to do with what THEY believe is people being cruel to animals.Which by the way I AM against,but also most of our animal & human pharmasueticals (don't know if that is correct spelling or not) are tested on animals,the raw meat that you feed to your dogs & yourself (though raw I hope not :x ) comes from animals that don't have brilliant lives NOR deaths, abbotoires are horrific places & an outlet for a lot of sick& twisted people,this I know for a fact,plus the make-up that is worn,not to mention the leather shoes,bags,clothing, dogs collars & leads etc, all are derived from animals

that have a far from perfect life and a long drawn out death.Please note before I offend the entire farming community that there are farmers out there that do look after their animals & try their best to do right by them,but there are also many who DON'T!!!!!!!!!

I AM NOT CONDONING ANY OF THE ABOVE!!!!! :rant: BUT am just pointing out that a lot of people & companies contribute to the same as the Proctor & Gamble Group. And as for the R.S.P.C.A..............Well don't get me started on them!!

They are called the U.S.P.C.A over here & are run by complete idiots.I watched them on the news the other day,a programme about people breeding Bull breed dogs for fighting, and there was a dog lying dead in the yard they were saying how horrific this was-which it is!- and then proceeded to stumble about with a large bin liner trying & I say TRYING to get this poor dog into the bag,it was a complete disaster & these people are supposedly in charge of animal welfare,it's a joke!!!So them with drawing support from Proctor & Gamble is laughable.

A lot of these Antis are against everything & that DOES include hunting which IS mentioned on that link/site,which is why I brought it up.

Again thanks for the insight I did not know any of this before about the group.

I'm so glad to read that people who are not feeding commercial dog food are only feeding organic and free range produced meat and vegetables.

Also that they are present when those animals are killed so that they know that they are slaughtered humanely AND of course that they have never had to endure the terror of being transported and sold at a market.

If you can't say yes to this honestly then you are NOT in a position to preach morals and ethics re pet feeding to anyone else.

Too much liver causes the runs in dogs with sensitive tums...I have found this out to my cost. It caused one of my dogs a severe bout of colitis. I know it was the liver because that was the only thing different I had given them that day, and a rather generous quantity at that. Boy did I pay for that mistake!!!! (w00t)

I feed Meat/Veg as I got sick of paying for compleat dog food thats nothing more than bulking agents & vitamins.

since changing over to a natural food my dogs have better coats more energy and seem to enjoy their food a lot more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately I can't feed fresh meat to any of my dogs as it affects their skin quite badly,otherwise I would..............I do feed fresh (raw) fruit & veg which they love.Incidently even Tripe set off the Skin on a couple of my lot,so had to stop that too,now got a freezer half full of tripe!!! (w00t)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back