The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Suggestions On Whippet Diet, Please!!

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Nicola said:
Too much liver causes the runs in dogs with sensitive tums...I have found this out to my cost. It caused one of my dogs a severe bout of colitis. I know it was the liver because that was the only thing different I had given them that day, and a rather generous quantity at that. Boy did I pay for that mistake!!!! (w00t)
I agree. When I was feeding a home made diet I included something like liver, kidney, heart once or twice a fortnight.

I fed mainly ox cheek with vegetables or chicken wings. Also eggs because I kept my own fowl.

However what I never did was set myself up as being better or knowing more than anyone else. I've never in my life made such a comment as this.

[SIZE=14pt]Just thought i'd mention it for those who wish to have a clear conscience [/SIZE]

IMO such a very arrogant thing to have posted.

05whippet said:
Unfortunately I can't feed fresh meat to any of my dogs as it affects their skin quite badly,otherwise I would..............I do feed fresh (raw) fruit & veg which they love.Incidently even Tripe set off the Skin on a couple of my lot,so had to stop that too,now got a freezer half full of tripe!!!  (w00t)
That's very odd. The only thing that I've fed that didn't suit my dogs was Burns complete.

I've raised pups on complete and on BARF and on cooked meat with raw veggies. They've all done well on it. I honestly hand on heart don't think that it's made any difference to them at all.

If I could get hold of a good regular supply of free range, organic meat AND if I could afford to feed my dogs on it then I would feed that. Not for any objective reason though. Just 'cause it seems a nicer way to feed them. :D

~Helen~ said:
alfyn said:
Millie said:
alfyn said:
Did you know that  proctor & Gamble,who own Eukanuba,use & kill thousands of animals every year?Here's the link for those interested.

http://www.uncaged.co.uk/iams.htm

Just thought i'd mention it for those who wish to have a clear conscience :thumbsup:

SNAP LOL :lol:

Great minds think alike! :D

Thanks for the inclusion of this kind of thought-provoking information - I've just added it in to FAQ, so if there are any other similar sites that people know of, please let me know - or feel free to add them yourself! They are really good subjects for discussion :thumbsup:

I also think that if you did a search and found out what actually went in to some (not all) commercially-produced pet foods, you wouldn't really want your pet consuming them :( I'll see if I can find some links ;)

I think you might feel that if you searched what went into your own & how it was reared/produced.

BeeJay said:
05whippet said:
Unfortunately I can't feed fresh meat to any of my dogs as it affects their skin quite badly,otherwise I would..............I do feed fresh (raw) fruit & veg which they love.Incidently even Tripe set off the Skin on a couple of my lot,so had to stop that too,now got a freezer half full of tripe!!!  (w00t)
That's very odd. The only thing that I've fed that didn't suit my dogs was Burns complete.

I've raised pups on complete and on BARF and on cooked meat with raw veggies. They've all done well on it. I honestly hand on heart don't think that it's made any difference to them at all.

If I could get hold of a good regular supply of free range, organic meat AND if I could afford to feed my dogs on it then I would feed that. Not for any objective reason though. Just 'cause it seems a nicer way to feed them. :D

I would too,but the expense would be astronomical. To answer you on the "that's very odd" I know it is,but I have no idea why our dogs have probs with meat,I just know they do!!

05whippet said:
~Helen~ said:
alfyn said:
Millie said:
alfyn said:
Did you know that  proctor & Gamble,who own Eukanuba,use & kill thousands of animals every year?Here's the link for those interested.

http://www.uncaged.co.uk/iams.htm

Just thought i'd mention it for those who wish to have a clear conscience :thumbsup:

SNAP LOL :lol:

Great minds think alike! :D

Thanks for the inclusion of this kind of thought-provoking information - I've just added it in to FAQ, so if there are any other similar sites that people know of, please let me know - or feel free to add them yourself! They are really good subjects for discussion :thumbsup:

I also think that if you did a search and found out what actually went in to some (not all) commercially-produced pet foods, you wouldn't really want your pet consuming them :( I'll see if I can find some links ;)

I think you might feel that if you searched what went into your own & how it was reared/produced.

You're absolutely right - which is why I source as much as possible of my family's food from organic, local, free-range or fresh-from-producer sources. In the real world that's not possible 100% of the time, but I do look into what I buy :) it costs more, but as long as I can afford it, I will. I think the high cost is the real cost, unsubsidised by inhumane methods of mass production.

I'm not saying that you should do the same. I'm just saying what I do :)

In my humble opinion i think it should be each to their own & what suits one dog may not suit another. Some may be more sensitive to things where as others can tolerate it perfectly well.

I have a breed that is renown for having VERY sensitive tummies, i have never been a fan of complete diets but this is because having dogs for 25-30 years we have always fed fresh food & seen the best results & to be honest the breed i have are quite hard to rear & personally i can see it in their coat condition those that are fed on a dried diet & those that are not, for some reason the dried diet seems to scour their coats, maybe its beacuse they are such a delicate breed.

I feed my whippets the same diet, a combination of chicken, breast of lamb, mince steak, liver, hearts, scrambled eggs, cheese all mixed with either rice, pasta, fresh veg & a small amount of bonemeal & a dollop of butter. It works for mine, they all eat heartily & very rarely ever have a dodgy tummy.

Having said this i know plenty of people who do feed complete diets whatever the make & are happy with the results.

If you know what you are doing you can see for yourself in the condition of your dog what suits them & what doesnt. You also have to take in to account financial situations & lifestyles whether some have the money & time to spend cooking for their dogs & what number they are providing for.

My advice to anyone would be within your limitations experiment with small amounts until you find something that suits both your dogs & you, if you are happy with it & your dogs continue to be fit & healthy then run with it, if not try something else.

If something that didnt suit your dogs suits someone else's, hey dont knock it just think unlucky it didnt work for you BUT good its working for them.

At the end of the day we are all trying to do the best by our dogs but like us humans i am sure they all have different tastes & different tolerances.

Nina

Thanks all for the suggestions will try changing the bakers complete, and exclude the liver from the diet for now. Its not much fun scrapping the patio

Cheers

Ivan

Bakers and liver are very rich .........I feed my lot on a good quality complete and add fresh meat .......They all love it and are doing really well ........I do add a bit of baked chopped liver to a meal or 2 a week, but literally a teaspoon full ...... :luck: :luck: ..........I also add a table spoon of natural live yogurt to my lot's main meal as this help's with the enzymes needed in their stomach's .......

..........I also add a table spoon of natural live yogurt to my lot's main meal as this help's with the enzymes needed in their stomach's .......
Great tip Hannah, we've used natural yogart a few times when our dogs have had upset tummies or have been on Antibiotics.

Mark Roberts said:
..........I also add a table spoon of natural live yogurt to my lot's main meal as this help's with the enzymes needed in their stomach's .......
Great tip Hannah, we've used natural yogart a few times when our dogs have had upset tummies or have been on Antibiotics.

Who'd think that a bit of yogurt could do soooo much good ?? ......but it's priceless when you have a dog on AB's ........and it certainly help's to settle stomach upset's ..........Fab and completly under rated IMHO ........Tell you what else is good for bad tummies .......Live brewers yeast ........Fabby :thumbsup:

:eek: Blimey Ivan, bet you didn't expect to open up quite such a can of worms with your first posting! A very emotive subject, worthy of much debate.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back