The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Sup Championship Run Offs

Paws123

NNWRF TREASURER
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
One for you all seen as the heats on over weighs

I think at Championship events there should be two sup run offs

Up to 25lb and up to 35lb dog/bitch ... or upto 24lb & 32lb

Reasons being over the years i have raced and attended probably 99% of straight champs , once a dog/bitch is over 26lb most pull out ...same as bends with the light weighs on long bend tracks

Some will say make the straight 1/2 yard lb , but then its unfair to people whom only breed buy smaller dogs.... and some people prefer the larger dog over 26lb to 35lb

To me this would make racing more funny and give the 26lb and over a chance of winning sup on the straights (just my opinion)

So lets have some constructive comments

Last edited by a moderator:
one of the reasons the original NWRF STOPPED the supreme run off at champs was they thought it took the glory from those who had won their ch titles on the day this is where the Golden Jacket opens came into being by winning 5 weight classes at a G/J open of which there are 3 in a year it would take a dog at least 2 years to earn the supreme ch title as hard as it is to gain this award it gives all weight groups an even chance.

I think it was done for 1 year then members asked for the run offs to be reinstated hence the title CH of CH's

To me 2 foot per lb seems a fairer handicap to all 16 lb to 32 lb, you dont stop any good dog from winning at this handicap, where as you only get an exceptional heavy weight dog winning at 1 yard per lb, the results speak for themselves, but i except the conditions when i enter a championship event, but when the handicap from 1yard per lb 16 lbs to 28 lbs was extended to 32 lbs or 35 lbs in the case of the fed the handicap of a yard per lb wasn't changed, and to be fair to the bigger dogs it should have been. Just my opinion.

I think most people would still pull the larger dogs out at 2" lb , as some fear there dogs hurting the little ones... at 2 sup run offs there would be none of this... and why should people pull there dogs out... we pull bally spot out of finals this year for the same reason...we go to champs and if theres only a straight final in that class she only is getting one run...but on the other hand we have ran rapid stag and other members have put 32lb in final ...tag turned and was stood on the lure and was smashed into ...

A few years ago mark (storm bird) with his heavy weigh vet ( sorry unsure of its racing name now) would ask if we minded him running his dog in big main finals as we had blue goblin in ..we never objected but she never went into lure....why should owners of heavier dogs pull out ...esp at straight champs as these are the best dog in there class in the country that day.. one run for months of hard work and fine tuning

Just think it would make the champs alot more interesting when the finals are run and give the heavier dogs the honors they deserve

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry i don't agree i think supreme should be just that 'supreme' of the day the best dog overall on that day and if you have two classes then i dont think it could be called a 'supreme' it would be just the same as a l/w final win. Just my opinion. I also think the lil 15lb/16lbers win very few overalls but we don't do things to favor them.

Guess i'm old fashioned and believe whippet racing at its best is yd/lb racing up to 32lb. Whilst im on a rant I also think we do too many races in weight groups 20/24/28/32 (or odd weight groups) as we very often know what dogs we will be up against each week where as if we had more all in together we would probably draw different dogs and with the luck of the draw maybe we would get different winners as the same dogs wouldnt be knocking the same dogs out week in week out.

Ok not very constructive sorry Dee but my opinion Karen out out the co. bit if we have to give names :thumbsup:

an interseting topic i can c where karen is coming from by saying supreme shud b just that supreme (bit like no limit means no limit) and i can also see where dee is coming from if u have a 32lb dog u wud b unlikely 2 put it in a supreme run off against a good 20lber yards for pounds. wot about making the supreme run off 2 foot a pound or i wud say half a yard per pound but then people wud say that favours the heavyweights, so 2 foot a pound is always the fairest way isnt it?

so u cud say 2 supreme finals up to 25lb up to 35lb yards for pounds or

one supreme final as now but make it 2ft per 1lb. just my opinion

I would vote all day long for the supreme to stay as just the ONE final - kind of defeats the object by splitting it up. However i do think something more should be done with the handicap format so that the heavier dogs don't have to either break their hearts attempting to make up a ridiculous amount of yardage or the owners feel they have to pull out from the supreme run off. Speaking as someone with a dog at either end of the handicap i would rather have less start with the 18lber and run off with all that have qualified rather than be out at front with the heavyweight withdrawn.

I'm the same Vicky got dogs at both end of the scale. I pull the bigger dog out every time at ypp like with Cindy at old hall no way was i giving 12 yds away. With me it could be personal though because Mimo finished racing when her spine and lower back was broke and dislocated after been hit by a 32lb who ran off, I wouldn't like to see that happen to someone elses dog. Personally I think all weight classes should be ran ypp and finals either 1/2ypp or 2ft a lb even at champs.

Vicky said:
I would vote all day long for the supreme to stay as just the ONE final - kind of defeats the object by splitting it up.  However i do think something more should be done with the handicap format so that the heavier dogs don't have to either break their hearts attempting to make up a ridiculous amount of yardage or the owners feel they have to pull out from the supreme run off.  Speaking as someone with a dog at either end of the handicap i would rather have less start with the 18lber and run off with all that have qualified rather than be out at front with the heavyweight withdrawn.
Still not very fair on your average 16lb though...

Just re-read my 1st post it should say To me this would make racing more fun and give the 26lb and over a chance of winning sup on the straights (just my opinion)
So lets have some constructive comments

DENISE BAILEY said:
Don't get that Dee.

If "your average 16lber" got through to the Supreme Final of a fed event (winner of the 25lb final against winner of the 35lb final) as it is currently handicapped it would be getting more start from the back dog. With the handicap you propose Supreme up to 25lb, the 16lber is getting even less start / running a longer distance.

it takes a flying machine at 16 pound to win anything other than classes or titles :- " theres been a few that were but not many :)

Vicky said:
DENISE BAILEY said:
Don't get that Dee.

If "your average 16lber" got through to the Supreme Final of a fed event (winner of the 25lb final against winner of the 35lb final) as it is currently handicapped it would be getting more start from the back dog. With the handicap you propose Supreme up to 25lb, the 16lber is getting even less start / running a longer distance.

Sorry Vicky i meant to quote carole must of hit the wrong button ...and should of said 2"lb not very fair on your average 16lb though...

my mistake :oops:

yard a pound not fair on your average 32+lb

2ftt a 1lb not fair on 16lb? so half a yard a pound deffo wudnt b fair on average 16lb so u cant win unless u split the supreme run off which nobody seems 2 want. imo if have 2ft per 1lb and everyone runs off u r less likely to have big dogs running into little ones becoz @ 2ftt a 1lb imo they will b going over the line a lot closer than @ yds per pound just my opinion and u r less likely of anyone withdrawing making for better racing a proper supreme with all running off.

sherry said:
yard a pound not fair on your average 32+lb2ftt a 1lb not fair on 16lb? so half a yard a pound deffo wudnt b fair on average 16lb so u cant win unless u split the supreme run off which nobody seems 2 want. imo if have 2ft per 1lb and everyone runs off u r less likely to have big dogs running into little ones becoz @ 2ftt a 1lb imo they will b going over the line a lot closer than @ yds per pound just my opinion and u r less likely of anyone withdrawing making for better racing a proper supreme with all running off.

Totally agree with every thing you say Carole, but still not fair on some class one way or the other...some people only buy and breed small dogs so 2ft lb not fair

just thought i would put this out to k9 members as its a letter Ive had sent in about 2 sup run offs ...just wanted to see what people thought

Maybe you can't always make it fair?? :)) Isn't it sometimes just luck? :- " ..............you could alternate any of the variables that we race with i.e. distance, weight groups, yd's /lb etc, but would it give everybody an equal chance? :blink: I doubt it! Maybe accept the new ideas and go with them for a trial? What have we got to lose?? But let's not get hung up on the idea we can control everything that goes into creating a champion or winner! :D

chris

I would still say at 2ft lb on straights you would get a lot less lightweights withdrawing that what you currently get heavyweights withdrawing be it BWRA or NNWRF.

IMO it's not the weight splits that needs changing it's the handicap :thumbsup:

Can we change the format to improve the amount of dogs running off ..or are a lot afraid of change ?

The handicap needs to be staggered in the supreme to give all weights an equal chance;

1ft/lb for 28-32lb

2ft/lb for 24-28lb

3ft/lb for 18 -24lb

4ftlb for under 18lb

How does that work Tony? ( soz if I'm being thick :blink: and it's obvious :- " )

chris

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back