The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Sup Championship Run Offs

Okay chris a quick question for you ......you have won all sorts this year with weardale spot ...how many dogs/bitches over 26lb have raced against you in finals or sup's on the straights

Same question for vicky with mochara except bend finals with her

DENISE BAILEY said:
Okay chris a quick question for you ......you have won all sorts this year with weardale spot ...how many dogs/bitches over 26lb have raced against you in finals or sup's on the straights

ok our many little ones ran off and won on bends when acca was right ?

ahorsnall said:
DENISE BAILEY said:

ok our many little ones ran off and won on bends when acca was right ?

exactly , probably all ran off on the bends as the handicap suits all better ..but bet it was a closer finish ...without bigger dogs run into little ones and injuring them

Last edited by a moderator:
ahorsnall said:
i think the ghd kill whippet racing might as well all go flapping
Get your self a couple of peds chris, then you won't have this problem with the input of greyhound in our sport :- " :lol: at the end of the day it's the good old greyhound x ped whippet thats makes our dogs be categorized as non-peds.

But its knowing when to draw the line with the input of greyhound being used in our breeding programe.

I personally breed a dog to race on the straights and bends for scratch racing.

ps I've yet to see a bull looking greyhound, but that depends what you define as bully.

Geoff

QUOTE(Tony Taylor @ Dec 30 2007, 06:57 PM)

Heavyweights can win yd per lb on the straights if they are good enough

Not true. There are no legitimate examples of a heavyweight ever winning supreme at a major straight event yd per lb.

If we are going to bring up Mo Evil at least mention the fact that the lightweight had 3 extra runs and was on it's eighth run of the day

Me being the sad person i am after reading Tony's post thought i'd take a look back see if we still had this programme knowing that i was in attendance at this meeting (a mere 17 year old at the time ) and lo and behold i found it.

The dog final was Mo Evil 32 (5th run), Firewood 26 (7th run), Tiny Touch 16(3rd run) (the middleweight in this had had 2 extra runs to Mo Evil having dead heated twice with So What the lightweight was a straight final so was only on his third run)

Bitch final Arctic Queen 32, Notts Forest 22 Soft Touch 16

Supreme run off Mo Evil 32, Notts Forest 22 (Mo Evil having had one extra run to the bitch as the dog final had been run off wrong marks so had to be a re run).

Interesting that very few dogs w/d from the races in these days !

Total bitches on the program that day 149, Total dogs 133 + 282 Whippets wow!!!! (The good old days )

sadieandco said:
Interesting that very few dogs w/d from the races in these days !
Total bitches on the program that day 149, Total dogs 133 + 282 Whippets wow!!!! (The good old days  )

That could be as some one has stated the littler dogs were not as fast then....

Personally i don't believe that

robpoole said:
My own soft touch was a 15/16 lbs and a phenonemoen winning the true test of consistency 'The Whippet news Top Ten' with the handicap of being based in London. She won the Midlands Triple Crown over 175 at Hinkley and 100 dog open at Woolsthorpe over 200 yards. She consistently run 8.60/8.70 s over 150 yards. There is no way the smaller dogs of yesteryear are slower than todays runners and anybody lucky enough to see the likes of Roberta D, Cherry, Dasher, Wendygo, IBM, What a maid & Kelly Gold would agree. By the way the best of the lot was Another Maid who i was lucky enough to house for a sort period.

i may be wrong but when did Another Maid run in a same race as Cherry? i would have thought Cherry was well over the hill when another maid started running as she was born in 1968 Another Maid was i think 1975 ---1976---if your really looking for the best of all time it has to be Peter Fitton's Good As Gold dogs or bitches ---and even Peter would tell you that they are faster now than then if you were to ask him---

steve

Karen-Coral said:
robpoole said:
My own soft touch was a 15/16 lbs and a phenonemoen winning the true test of consistency 'The Whippet news Top Ten' with the handicap of being based in London. She won the Midlands Triple Crown over 175 at Hinkley and 100 dog open at Woolsthorpe over 200 yards. She consistently run 8.60/8.70 s over 150 yards. There is no way the smaller dogs of yesteryear are slower than todays runners and anybody lucky enough to see the likes of Roberta D, Cherry, Dasher, Wendygo, IBM, What a maid & Kelly Gold would agree. By the way the best of the lot was Another Maid who i was lucky enough to house for a sort period.

i may be wrong but when did Another Maid run in a same race as Cherry? i would have thought Cherry was well over the hill when another maid started running as she was born in 1968 Another Maid was i think 1975 ---1976---if your really looking for the best of all time it has to be Peter Fitton's Good As Gold dogs or bitches ---and even Peter would tell you that they are faster now than then if you were to ask him---

steve

but did good as gold use a kickboard i cannot remember it running of one could this be the reason steave

Karen-Coral said:
robpoole said:

steve

Agree Soft Touch was a phenominal 15/16lber one of the exceptional dogs that come around every so often like the ones mentioned above.

Sorry Steve i dint see where Rob had said Cherry and Another Maid had run together or have i missed something there? thought he was just naming some of the greats in his opinion.

The thing is whether they are faster or not today doesnt really matter these were the dogs of that time like we have ones that dominate the scene at the moment and in racing it will always come about that a few at a time or maybe one particular dog will win almost everything for a while, until the next one comes along. These dogs are the ones that we ALL remember and strive to be lucky enough to have one day - well thats my hope one day ;)

Kickboards not then Graham :wacko:

sadieandco said:
Karen-Coral said:
robpoole said:

steve

Agree Soft Touch was a phenominal 15/16lber one of the exceptional dogs that come around every so often like the ones mentioned above.

Sorry Steve i dint see where Rob had said Cherry and Another Maid had run together or have i missed something there? thought he was just naming some of the greats in his opinion.

The thing is whether they are faster or not today doesnt really matter these were the dogs of that time like we have ones that dominate the scene at the moment and in racing it will always come about that a few at a time or maybe one particular dog will win almost everything for a while, until the next one comes along. These dogs are the ones that we ALL remember and strive to be lucky enough to have one day - well thats my hope one day ;)

Kickboards not then Graham :wacko:

thanks i knew i could rely on u your a wise old girl. :thumbsup:

robpoole said:

Karen sorry i agree Rob did not say that they had run together in his post

i took it to read that it was around at the same time as it mentions Cherry just before it states by the way the best of the lot ----was---Another Maid---

like Graham says can trust the old girl

steve

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back