The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Takeover Bid.....what Do You Think?

AnnSa

The one and Only ....
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have noticed just lately that Zana spends more and more

time trying to pull Sada about by her neck and as someone

(Jane) has noticed it from some pictures i posted earlier. So

i thought i'd ask.......what do you think is going on ?

Is it just playing about or is Zana trying it on?

Sada is three in October and spayed.

Kaya is 2 in June and has always done the neck thing with

Sada but if Sada tells her of she will stop straight away.

They had a bit of a scrap last week but i put that down to

K being in season and a bit grumpy.

Zana on the other hand is just 8 months and doesnt always

stop when Sada tells her and pushes it until Sada gets really

mad with her or i stop her.

sea6.jpg

sea1.jpg

good question ann its a question id like an answer to as isla is forever doing it to angel and she never seems to tell her off im just woried it could turn into a full blown argument one day :(

Hi

I thought that it was a dominance thing for a dog to touch or bite the back of the neck of another dog??

Deb x

Hi, my girl Verity does the same with her brother Alfie- she is the only bitch and dominant over both boys, although she does not do this with Billy. I think it is playful as well as dominant- it doesnt provoke any reaction in Alfie, although he is well used to his position of bottom of the pecking order!! :lol:

My 2 girls have had the odd serious ruck (though not for a while) and usually over something one of them has or because one takes the other by surprise. I would say that they are both equal in the back of the neck play fighting now and can keep it up for hours, snarling away for Engalnd, but this necking is never a preamble to a serious ruck.

if you come here you can see 6 whipets hanging of each others necks for hours lacey who is my domnit bitch and top dog undre us never does it she will play chase about but never neck restles

No one else got any ideas ?

Like i'd expect any from you Dibley :p

Drama does this in play to her mother and one of her Aunties, but with her it's about being a bratty baby sister and trying to bug and play, it's not about dominance. If any of your dogs aren't happy with Zana doing this then YOU can reinforce their dislike by telling her 'off' or 'no' and stopping her when she's doing it. Obviously let them tell her first but if she continues then you reinforce THEM by stopping her.

Drama bugs the heck out of all the others in my house (like I said she's a bratty baby sister) and usually respects when they've told her seriously (rather than just playign the game with her). But I've decided that after a certain time of day she's not allowed to bug them as they're trying to settle in for the evening.

So maybe you need to set some boundaries for Zana in line with what your older dogs are trying to tell her.

I don't necessarily think it's a bid for dominance but it does sound like she's not respecting when they say NO - and she's at the age where she's trying to find her boundaries so you need to help make them clear.

Hope this helps

Wendy

Thanks Wendy..........funnily enough i said to my friend

only yesterday that Zana has no manners yet. It makes

sense that she needs to be taught some respect for the

older girls.

I try not to step in too much as i like them to sort it out

themselves but i have lately that i have had to step in

more and more often. There's no malice in her just the

devil :lol:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back