The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Terrified Collie

Collie Owner

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi Everyone,

I have a collie who is almost 2 years old. He is very playful and happy, everything else is perfect but he is absolutely terrified of cars.

When we go on walks he is fine until a car passes and then he pulls back on the lead and actually attempts to run in front of the cars.

Because of this, the harness/collar (tried both) comes over his head and he has managed to get free several times. I have just been extremely lucky to get him back and that drivers were travelling slow.

It has now become extremely distressing to walk him and I find myself getting overly anxious before walks.

I really don’t know what to do anymore, can anyone offer any ideas? Or know how I can prevent the harness slipping over his head when he pulls behind me?

His current harness was £50 and is K9 one, it’s a perfect fit but his silky coat makes it easy for it to slip over his head.

Walking him somewhere secluded with no cars is not an option as I currently have health issues meaning I am unable to drive anywhere else. I live in a quiet town as it is but cars are everywhere!

Are you able to sit somewhere with him - even in your front garden - where he can see occasional cars go by, but at a distance he feels comfortable with? If so, you could give him a treat whenever a car appears. When he gets to the point when, if a car appears, he happily turns to you for a treat, you could move slightly closer to the road and start again. You could also make sure you have the most wonderful, stinkiest treat ever to distract him when a car passes (if it doesn't work, you're too close).

In the meantime, you could make sure he gets the exercise and mental stimulation he needs by training/games in your garden & house, e.g. set up a small agility course. Would you be able to afford a dog walker who could drive him to car-free places for an occasional walk?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back