The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Chasing Instinct

Ok here goes, 4th attempt at replying!

Firstly, there's no issues with Hubble's enthusiasm for the lure, he's mad keen now. He was a slow starter basicly due to the fact he was obsessed with Emma and he's had a few setbacks with injuries. I'm sure the comment about a hedgehog on the lure was said tongue in cheek.

With regards to coursing live stuff, we choose to discourage it with our dogs, for one, i've never had problems with getting them keen (the total opposite in fact) i'd always see a kill as being the last option, and two, i think it's a bad move to make with dogs who've been bred for pure speed to chase a rag for generations, imo non ped whippets are too fast & don't have the brain to get away unscathed (Geoff, Mouse & the Squirrel comes to mind lol), we spend enough as it is on osteopaths & vets without asking for trouble. I can count on one hand how many times these lot have chased live stuff and it's always been by accident.

Now the lurcher racing, i think most folk on the non ped section have had some experience of lurcher racing and there's a reason those people don't lurcher race, there's also a reason people come from lurcher racing into non peds and not the other way round. For me i don't like the fact there's nothing regulating it, there's no set rules, most tracks are poor without proper fencing (and there's always one idiot who's dog slips it's lead mid race), ANY dogs can enter (these could be fighters or dogs that have never ran in company before) and then to top it all, one of em grabs the lure at the end and they all end up running back down to the start :sweating: - we've all seen it done.

What you said Diane about you can tell in the lurcher racing the dogs that have chased live stuff before, they're the ones that are mad keen on the lure whilst the others mess about, yet i've heard a lot of lurcher lads reckon their dogs wont chase a plastic bag because they know the difference between that and live stuff?

This is getting silly now, I only gave some advise to a fellow dog owner and was having a laugh, so what if i let my dogs chase the ODD squirrel, (it's my life and i'm not hurting anyone else) perhaps i should try dog fighting then everyone could really have a go. :rant:

Some people need to get a life. :teehee:

Off to kill some fox's now, and maybe a badger tomorrow. :- (w00t)

My opinion FWIW.

Non-peds in my view are dogs that have come from sighthounds that posess a strong chase instinct however, as many of these dogs were trained to run to their owners, a lot of these dogs have a strong urge to please their owners. This urge with some dogs, I feel supercedes their chasing instinct and there's nothing wrong with that whatsoever because ultimately it can be used to the owners advantage providing they are committed to exploiting this.

The only reason some dogs chasing instinct is improved after hunting quarry is because the more primeval instinct is being stimulated however, with those dogs that have an inseperable bond to their owner, persuading them to chase quarry can be just as futile as getting them to chase the lure.

However, with careful, repetitive training and positive feedback from an owner I do personally believe any dog can be persuaded to chase the lure sheerly through willingness to please. Someone recently spoke to me and said the thrill for them with owning a dog was finding out what makes them 'tick', I think they're comment was spot on.

Taking dogs lurcher racing IMO is a good way of building bad habits into a dog, it would be the last place I would take a non-ped whippet that had any sort of issue. For one (and I know some will dispute) the dogs have been bred for sprint racing and those that are fast simply do not have the ability to safely negotiate a lure course. Speed wise between peds and non-peds is probably about 8-10mph and anyone who's took a bend in their car at 10mph faster than they would normally knows that loosing control of your vehicle is highly likely. I personally think the same physics applies with racing dogs and it's probably why greyhound racing bodies are contemplating altering their own track bends because the greyhound is evolving into a faster breed too. My other issue with lurcher racing is the quality of ground, the lack of barrier protection to tracks and the dogs themselves, many of which are poorly trained for racing because lets face it anyone can enter a dog at a lurcher event and there are no governing bodies to protect the dogs. I've raced peds at lurcher events and can honestly say I feel a lot happier using them to train non-ped racers at club racing. I think this says it all really.

In my experience of owning dogs, I'd say no two are the same, they're all different and very much the individual and what works for your first dog may not work for your second, third etc.

As for Hubble, well as I'm quite familiar with him and his relatives, I'd say hunting ain't going to wake up his synapses. I'm also a bit perplexed as to why Emma's posted because the dog has been showing a gradual, positive interest in the lure. I actually think he's doing well considering his albeit limited time at the track and I expect with perseverance and commitment he'll be an excellent racing dog. I suspect Emma was meerly jesting at the fact he's got so excited with his first encounter with a hedgehog but it's been perceived that the dog isn't running for the lure and opened up an open debate for how to get a dog chasing the lure when really this isn't the case.

Vicky get out my head woman lol!!! :lol:

Just spent 20 mins typing so I'm buggered if I'm gona edit it to '' what she said'' lol!

some dogs are not interested in chasing a plastic lure after having live kill :) we did it years back trying to keen a bitch up and ended up that she wouldnt chase lure but would take rabits hares the lott :) personaly i dont have a problem with hunting but what vicky just said makes sence to me. plus i wouldnt delibratly put any of my whippets on live chases simply because of injuries. but wouldnt mind a whippy cross beddy just for hunting :D

Oh that funny both mine are whippetxbeddy. :-

If non peds are to fast to lurcher race why is there so many at lurcher shows???

If some dogs won't case a bag, why can't we have a rabbit skin as a lure at these so called game and country fairs then???

How can you really enjoy a dog if every time you go for a walk, (that's if you walk your dogs) if you are always worried about injuries.???

I've heard of more dogs braking their legs or getting a serious injury in non ped racing than i have lurchers, so it can't be that safe.

And if anyone want to know why i came into non ped racing, i'm beginning to wonder that myself.,

Got to go now the dogs are eating next doors cat. :- (w00t)

I only posted this i thought it was quite funny that the first thing Hubble has shown a mad keen interest in was a hedgehog, in the past he has walked past rabbits and squirrels and hid behind my legs. I wasnt implying that Hubble doesnt chase the lure or that i was any way concerned about the way hes schooling is going. It amazes me, as a newbie into whippet racing, how even the most innocent of posts can have you all falling out.

Oh that funny both mine are whippetxbeddy. :- If non peds are to fast to lurcher race why is there so many at lurcher shows???

If some dogs won't case a bag, why can't we have a rabbit skin as a lure at these so called game and country fairs then???

How can you really enjoy a dog if every time you go for a walk, (that's if you walk your dogs) if you are always worried about injuries.???

I've heard of more dogs braking their legs or getting a serious injury in non ped racing than i have lurchers, so it can't be that safe.

And if anyone want to know why i came into non ped racing, i'm beginning to wonder that myself.,

:lol: next doors cat my arse :lol:

I only posted this i thought it was quite funny that the first thing Hubble has shown a mad keen interest in was a hedgehog, in the past he has walked past rabbits and squirrels and hid behind my legs. I wasnt implying that Hubble doesnt chase the lure or that i was any way concerned about the way hes schooling is going. It amazes me, as a newbie into whippet racing, how even the most innocent of posts can have you all falling out.

am i the only one on here that took the initial post as a JOKE? heck i dont even know uggybug but i just presumed it was a joke must b my sense of humour :clown:

Last edited by a moderator:

am i the only one on here that took the initial post as a JOKE? heck i dont even know uggybug but i just presumed it was a joke must b my sense of humour :clown:

No Sherry, your not alone i took it as a joke too. :thumbsup:

me too lol lol

Sorry i replied to your post, :lol: I'm new to non ped racing as well but don't worry it me all the crap is aimed at. ;) (just have fun with your dog). life's to short, ;) Di

wasnt having a go di when i said about injuries i just meant if i hunted with them they could pick more injuries up wich effects there racing i agree this is getting silly now

Oh that funny both mine are whippetxbeddy. :- If non peds are to fast to lurcher race why is there so many at lurcher shows???

:lol: next doors cat my arse :lol:

They haven't now Geoff. :lol: ( sorry anty Hazel for leaving the gate open on Saturday) :teehee: now you say sorry for sitting on my tin. :lol: :thumbsup: Di

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back