The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Dog Cafe

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Lounge' started by Josie, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Biker John

Biker John Well-Known Member Registered

Frinsky, all my life I have been around dogs of many different types. To date the only one that has ever bit me was a Peake, I think I was about 13 or 14, saw my first Peake and had to go up to say hello, The lady that was with it did not try to stop me stroking it and without warning it bit my hand. OK with the type of dog it did not cause a lot of damage but it hurt. Another lady friend had a large German Shepard that she used to take to working trials and thus it had been trained to speak. One evening at dusk she was out with the dog off lead she realised a fella was following her so she whistled her dog, it came up to her she told it to speak and it started barking. The fella turned round and went away. Now he might have been a perfectly innocent chap that decided he did not want to go near a large barking dog, or he might have had bad intentions she had no way of knowing, but the dog sure got more than its usual fussing and treats that night.

Finsky and Flobo like this.
  2. JudyN

JudyN Well-Known Member Registered

Walking on my own has never bothered me, but I do quite like having a large dog by my side, just in case :) Though when I have him with me, the most desirable thing I have with me is the large dog by my side.....

Finsky and Biker John like this.
  3. Ari_RR

Ari_RR Well-Known Member Registered

I often walked with my previous Ridgeback in town, during evening hours. We tried to chose different routes, just to keep things interesting, see new streets, buildings.. I noticed quite often good town folks crossing the street when seeing us coming up. I always attributed that to the appearance of my RR. But now, looking at some of my recent photos with Baby Miles, I wonder if perhaps it was me :eek:

Josie, Biker John and Finsky like this.
  4. Buddy1

Buddy1 Active Member Registered

Our dog would agree with this. He is oblivious to most dogs, but one bark from a chihuahua and our dog legs it:rolleyes:

Finsky likes this.
  5. Finsky

Finsky Member Registered

LOL...it must a breed with the biggest ego compared its body size. :D We've got fair few over here where I walk my dogs, and every single one makes you know they are there and not to be approach without care. Though when they are physically so small it is understandable that they need to make sure nobody don't think them as a snack on the legs.

6. Finsky

Finsky Member Registered

Nor me, and I don't feel I need to rely my dogs presence. Though I don't doubt that if something unsavoury would happen, I'm sure at least my older one would definitely do something. But I am quite confident person myself and can't run far for my life....so I've learned that in case of trouble, I better put my big lungs into work, make lots of noise and either defend or attack. I've done bit of self defence and tai chi so there is some useful things to know..;)

7. JudyN

In his younger days Jasper was never happier than when he had a little terrier snapping at his heels, because he could easily keep just a couple of feet in front... so if I wasn't careful he'd rile them up on purpose. Nowadays he's more likely to act like the big wuss he is if one is a bit snarky.

We had a wet, windy and muddy walk this afternoon. My friend and I bumped into an acquaintance whose dog had run off on the heath and had been missing for half an hour, so when we got to the end of our planned route we thought we'd do an extra loop round the area he was last seen. It was very muddy and squelchy... when we got to the end, I realised I'd dropped my poo bag and not wanting to be the sort of person who bags up poo and then leaves the bag behind, back we went, squelch, squelch, squelch... Found the bag, walked back to the end of the walk, when my friend spotted a black dog back the way we'd been... so back we went, squelch, squelch, squelch, calling the dog. He disappeared, and we could also see a person in the same direction, who was probably that dog's owner. So I messaged my son's girlfriend, who is friends with the acquaintance's daughter, just in case this was her dog, and we went home. I had a text back a couple of hours later to say that the missing dog was now home, so all's well that ends well :)

I'm running out of non-muddy jeans though...

Finsky likes this.
  8. JudyN

Haha, I'm 5 foot nothing and weak as a kitten, resistance would be futile :eek: I have this horrible feeling that if I was attacked, Jasper's reaction would be 'This is really scary, I need to bite someone... Not sure I'm brave enough to bite that scary person - I know, I'll bite Mum instead' :confused:

9. Finsky

Finsky Member Registered

We went to forest for a walkies today, knowing that it is relatively dry there and not busy with other dogs once out of the parking area.
    Our little one has just started her first season and is still on the 'red stage', not on heat..so we decided that as the public walks are out of question very soon..and the weather turning bad, we shall venture out.
    Couple curious dogs had quick curious sniff when coming to greet but not further interested was raised than that and she was picked up for 'just in case' anyway. Once further out, there was nobody about so it was 'safe' to let her down to walk on the lead.
    One dog walker, a breeder who had several of BIG boy dogs (and off lead on the car park)...all running about all over the place..gave us right nasty look when finding out about our girl. And other walker 'advised' putting Dettol on my pups bottom to distract from other dogs! :eek: Never heard anything like it...DETTOL!
    Well thank you very much for the 'advise'..if they are so superior with their knowledge they should have realised none of their dogs were showing much interest, just curiosity...everything was under control..and the forest is big enough for all of us. I nearly opened my mouth and said what I thought, but no...I am generally easy going person and wish to be thought so too..but if push comes to shove...
    But yes, otherwise our walk was lovely..plenty of squirrels to spot and holes to dig :D
    Now it will be 2 weeks of 'no out into public' time for the pup and older one gets taken walkies on her own.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020 at 6:13 PM
  10. Buddy1

Buddy1 Active Member Registered

Reading this reminds me of the children’s picture book “We’re going on a bear hunt”
    Could a possible sequel be “We’re going on a dog hunt”?
    Although, with a story line that goes “We’re off to find the lost poo bag…we’re not scared…” maybe not:confused:

Sorry, if you aren’t familiar with the book that will make no sense!

Biker John likes this.