The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Dog Cafe

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Frinsky, all my life I have been around dogs of many different types. To date the only one that has ever bit me was a Peake, I think I was about 13 or 14, saw my first Peake and had to go up to say hello, The lady that was with it did not try to stop me stroking it and without warning it bit my hand. OK with the type of dog it did not cause a lot of damage but it hurt. Another lady friend had a large German Shepard that she used to take to working trials and thus it had been trained to speak. One evening at dusk she was out with the dog off lead she realised a fella was following her so she whistled her dog, it came up to her she told it to speak and it started barking. The fella turned round and went away. Now he might have been a perfectly innocent chap that decided he did not want to go near a large barking dog, or he might have had bad intentions she had no way of knowing, but the dog sure got more than its usual fussing and treats that night.

Walking on my own has never bothered me, but I do quite like having a large dog by my side, just in case :) Though when I have him with me, the most desirable thing I have with me is the large dog by my side.....

I often walked with my previous Ridgeback in town, during evening hours. We tried to chose different routes, just to keep things interesting, see new streets, buildings.. I noticed quite often good town folks crossing the street when seeing us coming up. I always attributed that to the appearance of my RR. But now, looking at some of my recent photos with Baby Miles, I wonder if perhaps it was me :eek:

When being on the receiving end of 'attention' of a small dog, their sharp and snappy reaction does make anybody to jump for sure!

Our dog would agree with this. He is oblivious to most dogs, but one bark from a chihuahua and our dog legs it:rolleyes:

Our dog would agree with this. He is oblivious to most dogs, but one bark from a chihuahua and our dog legs it:rolleyes:
LOL...it must a breed with the biggest ego compared its body size. :D We've got fair few over here where I walk my dogs, and every single one makes you know they are there and not to be approach without care. Though when they are physically so small it is understandable that they need to make sure nobody don't think them as a snack on the legs.

Walking on my own has never bothered me, but I do quite like having a large dog by my side, just in case :) Though when I have him with me, the most desirable thing I have with me is the large dog by my side.....
Nor me, and I don't feel I need to rely my dogs presence. Though I don't doubt that if something unsavoury would happen, I'm sure at least my older one would definitely do something. But I am quite confident person myself and can't run far for my life....so I've learned that in case of trouble, I better put my big lungs into work, make lots of noise and either defend or attack. I've done bit of self defence and tai chi so there is some useful things to know..;)

In his younger days Jasper was never happier than when he had a little terrier snapping at his heels, because he could easily keep just a couple of feet in front... so if I wasn't careful he'd rile them up on purpose. Nowadays he's more likely to act like the big wuss he is if one is a bit snarky.

We had a wet, windy and muddy walk this afternoon. My friend and I bumped into an acquaintance whose dog had run off on the heath and had been missing for half an hour, so when we got to the end of our planned route we thought we'd do an extra loop round the area he was last seen. It was very muddy and squelchy... when we got to the end, I realised I'd dropped my poo bag and not wanting to be the sort of person who bags up poo and then leaves the bag behind, back we went, squelch, squelch, squelch... Found the bag, walked back to the end of the walk, when my friend spotted a black dog back the way we'd been... so back we went, squelch, squelch, squelch, calling the dog. He disappeared, and we could also see a person in the same direction, who was probably that dog's owner. So I messaged my son's girlfriend, who is friends with the acquaintance's daughter, just in case this was her dog, and we went home. I had a text back a couple of hours later to say that the missing dog was now home, so all's well that ends well :)

I'm running out of non-muddy jeans though...

so I've learned that in case of trouble, I better put my big lungs into work, make lots of noise and either defend or attack. I've done bit of self defence and tai chi so there is some useful things to know..;)

Haha, I'm 5 foot nothing and weak as a kitten, resistance would be futile :eek: I have this horrible feeling that if I was attacked, Jasper's reaction would be 'This is really scary, I need to bite someone... Not sure I'm brave enough to bite that scary person - I know, I'll bite Mum instead' :confused:

In his younger days Jasper was never happier than when he had a little terrier snapping at his heels, because he could easily keep just a couple of feet in front... so if I wasn't careful he'd rile them up on purpose. Nowadays he's more likely to act like the big wuss he is if one is a bit snarky.

We had a wet, windy and muddy walk this afternoon. My friend and I bumped into an acquaintance whose dog had run off on the heath and had been missing for half an hour, so when we got to the end of our planned route we thought we'd do an extra loop round the area he was last seen. It was very muddy and squelchy... when we got to the end, I realised I'd dropped my poo bag and not wanting to be the sort of person who bags up poo and then leaves the bag behind, back we went, squelch, squelch, squelch... Found the bag, walked back to the end of the walk, when my friend spotted a black dog back the way we'd been... so back we went, squelch, squelch, squelch, calling the dog. He disappeared, and we could also see a person in the same direction, who was probably that dog's owner. So I messaged my son's girlfriend, who is friends with the acquaintance's daughter, just in case this was her dog, and we went home. I had a text back a couple of hours later to say that the missing dog was now home, so all's well that ends well :)

I'm running out of non-muddy jeans though...
We went to forest for a walkies today, knowing that it is relatively dry there and not busy with other dogs once out of the parking area.
Our little one has just started her first season and is still on the 'red stage', not on heat..so we decided that as the public walks are out of question very soon..and the weather turning bad, we shall venture out.
Couple curious dogs had quick curious sniff when coming to greet but not further interested was raised than that and she was picked up for 'just in case' anyway. Once further out, there was nobody about so it was 'safe' to let her down to walk on the lead.
One dog walker, a breeder who had several of BIG boy dogs (and off lead on the car park)...all running about all over the place..gave us right nasty look when finding out about our girl. And other walker 'advised' putting Dettol on my pups bottom to distract from other dogs! :eek: Never heard anything like it...DETTOL!
Well thank you very much for the 'advise'..if they are so superior with their knowledge they should have realised none of their dogs were showing much interest, just curiosity...everything was under control..and the forest is big enough for all of us. I nearly opened my mouth and said what I thought, but no...I am generally easy going person and wish to be thought so too..but if push comes to shove...
But yes, otherwise our walk was lovely..plenty of squirrels to spot and holes to dig :D
Now it will be 2 weeks of 'no out into public' time for the pup and older one gets taken walkies on her own.

Last edited:

Reading this reminds me of the children’s picture book “We’re going on a bear hunt”
Could a possible sequel be “We’re going on a dog hunt”?
Although, with a story line that goes “We’re off to find the lost poo bag…we’re not scared…” maybe not:confused:

Sorry, if you aren’t familiar with the book that will make no sense!

I went on a walk with my friend and the reactive dog, H, she walks this afternoon. I've had to be very careful with Jasper as he loves my friend but I can't let him get too close to him. However, H showed real signs of improvement today and at points they were sniffing the same bit of undergrowth with no problems.

Other dogs are a different matter, of course, and people do keep letting their dogs go straight up to H despite the fact that they can see she's leading him out of the way and getting him to focus on her. After H snarked at a dog this afternoon, the man muttered as he passed that she should get H a muzzle.

Now, my friend is lovely, salt of the earth, would spend her last fiver in the world on dog food and go hungry herself, but she can be a bit Jeremy Springer. Or is it Jeremy Kyle, I've never watched either. She turned to him and sai 'WHAT did you say?' and within moments it had escalated, him telling her that she needed a muzzle, and her telling him he needed a lobotomy:eek: And Jasper and me keeping out the way, looking at the clouds, the sky, the trees.....:oops: She has said to me in the past she wanted to get a muzzle for him, and I'd also mentioned the Yellow Dog scheme... but I wasn't sure that this was the right moment to bring it up again:confused:

Any suggestions for keeping the peace in future would be very welcome! Can I just tell her she needs to rise above it? Set a good example to H?

What are the chances of meeting him again versus the possible reaction of your friend to suggestions you might make about handling this sort of situation?

We're not that likely to see him again, but there will always be another - a similar thing happened the other day, though this time the man was clearly unpleasant and sneering from the start. I might broach the subject with her sometime... carefully! But she knows she can be, to put it politely, blunt, so she doesn't mind if I'm blunt with her (usually when I'm telling her that H isn't ready for more interactions and he won't just 'get used to' other dogs).

She may well have been more reactive herself today because she's building up to asking her vet to come round and euthanase her old dog. From what she says the time is right and she shouldn't hold off, but she needs to prepare herself mentally. So not a good time for her :(

I would try to focus her on, and give a good thought to the negative effects this kind of uncontrolled emotions have on dogs, including her own. If that doesn't convince her (her being a dog lover) - I am afraid not much else will.

Good idea, Ari - it can't do H much good to have her snarking at people when their dogs have come up to him. And I might just point out that her reactions won't help change the behaviour of the other owners.

Good idea, Ari - it can't do H much good to have her snarking at people when their dogs have come up to him. And I might just point out that her reactions won't help change the behaviour of the other owners.
I'm afraid I'm not the best adviser on these sort of situations for being relatively blunt person myself. Sometimes it drives me to desperation when some don't say anything to defend themselves when a comment or two is due. But saying that, I've trained myself to smile and give a person a one chance..we all have our bad days and sore points can bring unexpected reactions out of us.
When you friend has made her best to show other dog owners she doesn't want their dogs coming near...and yet they still don't take the hint..yep, I can see where she is coming from. I would have struggled not to say anything too.
It is not the dogs fault they come to meet and see who is coming and more often than not they are not worried if other dog is not friendly and snap at them (without contact). It is their owners that are more shuck if anything.

If the reactive dog is not running loose, in my mind she has all the right to comment back..(why do I feel like devils advocate..:cool:).
From blunt person to other...when such a moment is just about to happen, say to your friend..."hold it! ..I tell you later..! (or something along those lines) Something sharp and short.
It is easier to explain your thoughts how you read the situation and your opinion afterwards than maybe for her to able to react positively that particular moment. Positive reactions takes training...:rolleyes:
She might not be able to see any other point of view for things until you've had chance to talk it through and she has calmed down.
I was brought up in a society where any sort of back answering or confrontation was not seen acceptable..being placid, polite and humble attitude was good. So the temper bubbling inside didn't do any good until one day I did stood up against bullies and boy did it feel good. Once the emotional restrictions were broken, my lesson in life was to be fair with my reactions. Nobody couldn't talk to me to it..it had to be learned. I am still itching to give my peace of mind when I come of across such a people, but I am now able to save it for when it is really due and necessary...I certainly hope so..;)

I was thinking this morning... If a dog gives H the dirty eye what she wants him to do isn't to snark, but to roll his eyes and say 'whatever' - and to a certain degree that's what I've achieved with Jasper. So I'm going to suggest that she should react how she would like H to react. Rolling her eyes and saying 'whatever' still conveys that she thinks the person is a bit of a [insert word of choice] but if it does escalate, then they're to blame and not her. So she makes her point but still holds the moral high ground.

So she makes her point but still holds the moral high ground.
Wow.. I feel quite inferior :oops: To me, protecting the dog from rising tension would take priority over holding moral high ground, hands down... plus I have very limited energy for arguments, spending it on weird strangers in the woods is wasteful... plus I usually give folks the benefit of the doubt (maybe having a bad day, rather than just being an a-hole?)
But the same end result! Deescalation and moving on is much better approach, IMHO.

Have I told this story yet?

On the off leash beach... a gentleman with a Scottie on leash, a lady with a small dog on leash, and yours truly with Baby Miles running free.

Baby Miles comes over to Scottie. Politely, but still towering over him. Scottie doesn’t seem very interested, but doesn’t seem to mind either.

Lady with a small dog waves her arms and tells Baby Mile to get away.

Baby Miles, like the good boy he can be sometimes, walks away.

Lady to Yours Truly - “you should not let your dog just come over to another dog, it’s bad manners, and also this is a Scottish Terrier, he is a killer!”

Yours Truly to Lady - “sorry, ma’am, you are right, and thank you for stepping in and saving my giant puppy”

Lady (happily) - “you are very welcome, dear!”

Scottie’s Gentleman - “a killer?? He is not a killer, he is actually a very nice and friendly dog...”

go figure... I guess everyone had good intentions, including Baby Miles, but it didn’t come out right. Still humans managed to be nice to each other and everyone was happy at the end. That I like.

Last edited:
We went on a group hound walk with the rescue charity Forever Hounds this morning, in the ridiculously scenic Corfe Castle (that's the name of both the castle and the village). Not quite so scenic today as it was grey and rainy... and muddy!

49443472538_7285184901_c.jpg

My boots at the end of the walk...

49443495218_228a0ddf08_c.jpg

The best bit of a hound walk is when they are all first let off lead and have a mad run. Even Jasper joined in! He thinks that any group hound walk must really be a deerhunting expedition, though, so soon he was running off to the sides of the fields, scoping out the horizon for any sign of them. Luckily there's not too many round there, and we didn't spot any, so he didn't do a disappearing act.

Most people were going for a pub lunch at the aptly named Greyhound, but we headed home. Jasper doesn't like crowded pubs and can get the collie-wobbles if anyone bangs a door - we've had to abandon meals a couple of times because he's got upset. Plus we were out at the local Nepalese restaurant last night so wouldn't have done a publ lunch justice anyway.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back