The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Dog Whisperer

oohh cesar millan....

hes my hero, i watch it and tape it evey week....love him :wub:

midlanderkeith said:
FifeJillandIan said:
Anyone watch this on TV?  That guy certainly seems to understand dogs!

I watch every episode, good isnt he

keith

Did you see it last night? I realised that a lot of the things that Rottweiler was doing (apart from the agression) were ringing bells as Blue ( my 7 month old whippet) lunges at passing bikes when we're out for a walk. He also likes to dive up at me - it always seems very cute and friendly but I'm realising it's also a sign of dominance and I shouldn't really be encouraging that kind of behaviour. He also dominates our greyhound who puts up with an awful lot. When he's off the lead for a good run, he'll run at us full tilt and body slam into our legs (we have bruises to show for it). Of course, while I'm watching The Dog Whisperer Blue is curled up on the couch snoozing away like a wee angel! :- "

FifeJillandIan said:
hely said:
oohh cesar millan....

Have you seen his book? It's called Cesar's Way. I've only just started it but it's interesting so far. :)

got it :thumbsup:

read it twice...its now doing the rounds at my mums and sisters house :thumbsup:

hely said:
FifeJillandIan said:
hely said:
oohh cesar millan....

Have you seen his book? It's called Cesar's Way. I've only just started it but it's interesting so far. :)

got it :thumbsup:

read it twice...its now doing the rounds at my mums and sisters house :thumbsup:

Do you think it will help me tame my little angel? o:)

Isn't he great at calming the owners too . I have a very head strong shiba male who went OTT when my boxer died . I have used some of Cesars techniques on him and he is responding better again - thank goodness !!! :wacko:

I think if you really stick to it then yes, my mum has watched his programmes and has just finished the book and is just starting to sort her dog out using cesar's methods!

as long as they know who's pack leader you can do just about anything with them, its just a case of letting them know whos boss :))

let me know how you get on and good luck :luck:

JAXASS14D said:
Isn't he great at calming the owners too . I have a very head strong shiba male who went OTT when my boxer died . I have used some of Cesars techniques on him and he is responding better again - thank goodness !!! :wacko:
most of the time its the owners fault that the dog has the problems in the first case,

he always says "its the people that needs training not the dog"

i use some of his techniques as well, and they have certainly worked for me :thumbsup:

The way he explains things it just seems so obvious and common sense. Then you realise you've maybe been getting it wrong! Blue's actually a great wee guy considering he's only 7 months old but it wouldn't do him any harm to realise that I'm the pack leader, not him! :blink:

FifeJillandIan said:
The way he explains things it just seems so obvious and common sense.  Then you realise you've maybe been getting it wrong!  Blue's actually a great wee guy considering he's only 7 months old but it wouldn't do him any harm to realise that I'm the pack leader, not him!  :blink:
i know what you mean..he looks at things like a dog would and not from the way we do.................i sit and chat to gypsy and sometimes think..................lol she cant understand a word im saying :lol:

the only problem i have with my gypsy is the recall, shes not to bad but doesnt always come back on the first call, other wise shes a little o:)

good luck :thumbsup:

Hmmm, I'm obviously in a minority here, but I can't stand Cesar Millan or his methods. He's got a 'one size fits all' explanation which puts everything down to 'dominance' which over-simplifies dog behaviour and is frankly about 10 years behind modern theories and methods.

His aggressive techniques such as 'flooding' may cow a dog into some sort of submission which temporarily makes a dog appear more docile, but there is lots of evidence that the effects don't last because the underlying problems aren't being addressed.

NY Times article on Cesar Millan

Before deciding Cesar Milan is good, read Jean Donaldson's 'The Culture Clash' - much better in terms of understanding and modifying dog behaviour imo.

i can understand he's not for everyone, but i still thinks he's very good :thumbsup:

Ive read both and 10 years behind the times is not a bad thing imo!!!! Jan

FeeFee said:
Before deciding Cesar Milan is good, read Jean Donaldson's 'The Culture Clash' - much better in terms of understanding and modifying dog behaviour imo.
It's a real shame that knowledgeable people like Jean Donaldson, aren't better known - she's excellent and someone who I do respect.

She really knows her stuff.

hely said:
oohh cesar millan....

i'll second that!

but i do agree he's not for everyone but since reading his book and watching him on tv i have much better control over my dogs and they walk really well together off their leads! but i would love to see him walk a big pack of whippets through a field full of bunnies without leads! i would be very impressed then :lol:

I' ve been reading Jean Donaldson and Suzanne Clothier, but really struggled with them. Do you need to read their books a few times to understand them?

I think he is fantastic. He is only putting right what the owners have allowed to happen. When you look at the pack he has running loose including Pit bulls all of whom were given up on living side by side I think it is incredible. I cant belive there is an Italian Greyhound living amongst that pack either.

He wont be for everyone but horse for courses

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back