The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Dog Whisperer

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
FeeFee said:
Hmmm, I'm obviously in a minority here, but I can't stand Cesar Millan or his methods.  He's got a 'one size fits all' explanation which puts everything down to 'dominance' which over-simplifies dog behaviour and is frankly about 10 years behind modern theories and methods. 
His aggressive techniques such as 'flooding' may cow a dog into some sort of submission which temporarily makes a dog appear more docile, but there is lots of evidence that the effects don't last because the underlying problems aren't being addressed.

NY Times article on Cesar Millan

Before deciding Cesar Milan is good, read Jean Donaldson's 'The Culture Clash' - much better in terms of understanding and modifying dog behaviour imo.

Totally agree with this post! :thumbsup:

Cesar may provide what appears to be a quick fix, but in reality he hasn't a clue, imho.

If you watch the body language of the dogs he is dealing with it tells a very different story from what he is telling us that's going on. On one episode I watched he declared that a bull type dog had dominance issues when it met any other dog out walking. When you actually watched it, the dog ws simply excited and trying to go over to say hello to the other dog. His solution; body slam the poor thing to the ground and pin it there till it gave up. :blink: Poor thing didn't know what was going on.

As Fee fee mentions "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson or "The Other End of The Leash" by Patrica McConnell offer a much better insight into how your dog views the world and how we can work with them. :thumbsup:

What ever happened about the court case where the TV producer was sueing Cesar Milan? Her dog was rushed to the vets hardly able to breath, bleeding and severe bruising around it's neck - only an hour after being dropped off at his training centre. :rant: His staff, using his techniques had forced the dog to run on a treadmill wearing a choke chain. Of course he's claiming no responsibility since he wasn't there in person..... :- "

Gotta agree with the minority here. I don't like the man! He does seem to know his stuff in theory, but then he tries to put things into practice and just scares the poor dogs half to death.

I have a fear aggressive dog and if I 'flood' him with things he is scared of (other dogs) he starts off barking and lunging then ends up really quiet and seemingly 'cured' of his fears. Then when I take him out the next day and he is 10 times worse, short term measures don't work in dog training which is what Caeser seems to do.

My fave is Patricia McConnell, very easy to understand. I have read Jean Donaldson and Suzanne Clothier and (like CaravanMonster) struggled with both (in fact I never finished Bones Would Rain From the Sky).

I used to watch all these dog training programs until I had problems with my own dog, then I realised the 'one size fits all' doesn't work. Severe behavioural problems should always be seen by a behaviourist IMO!

Last edited by a moderator:
I' m starting to get Jean Donaldson' s ideas through my thick skull! Books like this based in decades of behaviourial research rather than the sole experiences and ideas of one charismatic trainer must be worth reading. TV programs have to be easy to watch and immeadiately popular with viewers, so I guess that we should see them as entertainment as much as instructional.

Evie said:
If you watch the body language of the dogs he is dealing with it tells a very different story from what he is telling us that's going on.  On one episode I watched he declared that a bull type dog had dominance issues when it met any other dog out walking.  When you actually watched it, the dog ws simply excited and trying to go over to say hello to the other dog.  His solution; body slam the poor thing to the ground and pin it there till it gave up.  :blink:   Poor thing didn't know what was going on.

Oh please don't get me started on 'Alpha Rolls'. Bad, dangerous and so completely wrong!

Even the people who wrote the original text book that suggested alpha rolling as a technique in EXTREME cases have gone back on it and now say it should never be used.

Quite apart from the fact all this 'dominance' stuff was based on wolves - who aren't actually all that similar to domestic dogs - the observations it was based on are now accepted to have been faulty.

Further studies have shown that wolves NEVER forcibly roll each other over unless they are fighting to the death and going for a kill. It is quite different from an animal choosing to roll over submissively.

So someone 'alpha rolling' a dog is actually subjecting it to something that in the wild would be a signal it was about to be killed or seriously injured - then they wonder why so many people have been badly bitten doing it; not to mention the total confusion it must cause in dogs who's leader and protector suddenly turns on them.

I think he is good...he certainly does understand dogs and dogs understand him....

...and he did rescue so many dogs as well... :thumbsup:

maja said:
...and he did rescue so many dogs as well... :thumbsup:
Most of those dogs were returned to the rescues they came from when he decided he wanted to move house..... :- "

Without trying to sound rude, and I appologise if I offend anyone, but this so-called "dog expert" only seems to be liked by those that don't know a lot about dog training. The woman who trained me used his show as an example of what NOT to do. I agree whole heartedly and commend the people who have pointed out that if you just watch the dogs you will see that he trains by force and fear.

This kind of "training" is right out of the stone age! With all the wonderfull new things we are learning about dogs it bothers me that people watch this show and think that is how to have a healthy relationship with your best friend.

It is SO VERY important to pick a trainer that is up to date with current training methods and has a decent amount of respect for the animals they are working with.

For those of you who like the show, take another look at it and take special note of the reactions of the dogs. Are they doing what they are doing because they are willing and happy? OR, are they doing what they are doing because they are afraid?!

The best relationship you will ever have with a dog is one built on mutual respect, understanding, and love. NEVER fear!

FoxyDog

Wow - it's been really interesting reading all the differing opinions on this thread. I'm definitely going to take a trip to the library to look up Jean Donaldson and Patricia McConnell. Fortunately, Blue doesn't have any behavioural problems really - just a normal, bouncy and at times rather full of himself pup! :teehee: The one thing I wish he wouldn't do so much is 'play fight' with Jack (4 year old, long suffering greyhound!) as it can get a bit out of hand and Blue's forever grabbing him by the throat! :wacko: I just keep persevering with telling him 'no' and splitting them up and it is happening less and less so I guess that's working, if slowly. I think 'The Dog Whisperer' makes good TV but I'll be watching a bit more closely in the future and will try not to get too carried away with it. It makes sense that one size cannot fit all, so I'm on a mission now to learn more about what makes dogs tick. I'm certainly enjoying having Blue around. I've never had a puppy before - only adult dogs from rescue, so it's a whole new experience. He's also my first whippet and all the good things I've read or heard about the breed are turning out to be true. :))

FifeJillandIan said:
Wow - it's been really interesting reading all the differing opinions on this thread.  I'm definitely going to take a trip to the library to look up Jean Donaldson and Patricia McConnell.  Fortunately, Blue doesn't have any behavioural problems really - just a normal, bouncy and at times rather full of himself pup!  :teehee:   The one thing I wish he wouldn't do so much is 'play fight' with Jack (4 year old, long suffering greyhound!) as it can get a bit out of hand and Blue's forever grabbing him by the throat!  :wacko:   I just keep persevering with telling him 'no' and splitting them up and it is happening less and less so I guess that's working, if slowly.  I think 'The Dog Whisperer' makes good TV but I'll be watching a bit more closely in the future and will try not to get too carried away with it.  It makes sense that one size cannot fit all, so I'm on a mission now to learn more about what makes dogs tick.  I'm certainly enjoying having Blue around.  I've never had a puppy before - only adult dogs from rescue, so it's a whole new experience.  He's also my first whippet and all the good things I've read or heard about the breed are turning out to be true.  :))
I hope that you manage to find some of these books, they are very good Patricia M does quite a few easy to read booklets which gives step by step training, as opposed to some of the longer books which can be heavy going. Only problem you may have is getting hold of them, both these authors are american so they are not that widely available, at least in my area they are not. I bought mine from amazon and canine concepts.

My two whippets play fight all the time and yes, I agree, it does get out of hand - and very LOUD :lol: I tend to let them get on with it, my ears are accustomed to it now! But I do stop them with a quick ENOUGH!!! if they take it too far.

You're right, whippets are the BEST :D (although I would love a rescue greyhound next :wub: ).

FoxyDog said:
Without trying to sound rude, and I appologise if I offend anyone, but this so-called "dog expert" only seems to be liked by those that don't know a lot about dog training.  The woman who trained me used his show as an example of what NOT to do.  I agree whole heartedly and commend the people who have pointed out that if you just watch the dogs you will see that he trains by force and fear.

FoxyDog

Guess I dont know anything about dog training then :thumbsup: Thank god my lot are well adjusted hooligans then LOL

Jan Doherty said:
FoxyDog said:
Without trying to sound rude, and I appologise if I offend anyone, but this so-called "dog expert" only seems to be liked by those that don't know a lot about dog training.  The woman who trained me used his show as an example of what NOT to do.  I agree whole heartedly and commend the people who have pointed out that if you just watch the dogs you will see that he trains by force and fear.

FoxyDog

Guess I dont know anything about dog training then :thumbsup: Thank god my lot are well adjusted hooligans then LOL

Mine too (w00t)

i still use his methods and like them :thumbsup:

each to their own i guess ;)

Would any of you who have these books be willing to lend/sell me a copy .?

Im always willing to learn about my `fellow` house guests :lol:

many thanks

jackie

JAX said:
Would any of you who have these books be willing to lend/sell me a copy .?
Im always willing to learn about my `fellow` house guests  :lol:

many thanks

jackie

I can lend them to you Jax. Are you at Leeds or east of england ? Jan x

Both , thanks Jan :huggles:

I hate to say it, but some of you on here are just ignorant , uninformed, and downright just not open to any idea beside your own!

This is not the first time on this list that people have been unwilling to even acknowledge any other points or concepts that don't fit into yours. I have tried to listen to all sides of debates and try to understand them, something which some of you are just unwilling to do.

You say this is a friendly list but I have learned otherwise. Several times people will not even answer questions, they just ignore them! I have tried to be patient but this is simply a place that is not very open.

As for my training skills, I have been training for quite some time now and am constantly involved in clinics, seminars, and anything related to dogs and dog behaviour which is more than most people I know. As member of The Canadian Association of Professional Pet Dog Trainers it is my constant goal to improve my understanding of dog training. NOT 1 well-respected trainer I know likes the "Dog Whisperer". That is enough for me!

I appologize to those of you who have been friendly and accepting, I did enjoy the list for a while. But it's just not worth the aggrivation now.

FoxyDog

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back