The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Dud...

em21

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
When we first decided to get a whippet, i decided that we would not be letting it off the lead until it's recall was perfect LOL. Now, we have been practising alot with Dudley and he's pretty good but when he's in the garden, he quite often goes deaf :- " I was scared that he would be like this outdoors and was terrified of him running off and injuring himself... or worse!!

When we go for walks, he very rarely leaves our side, even when on his flexi (long) lead. He also loves to play fetch at home, and always brings his toy back to us.... So I'm thinking that when we let him off, fetch would be a good game to play. We have several enclosed areas where we live so we decided to take advantage of this and armed with toys, treats and a very high pitched voice.. we let him off the lead :sweating: :sweating:

He was fab :thumbsup: Here's some videos, hope you like them.

This is on the race track, my OH desperately trying to get him to play fetch but he'd rather stick closer to us for now bless him :wub:

This is at a big enclosed field, a little more confident this time. He loved the long grass!! Still came back when called :thumbsup:

I'm really glad we let him off the lead sooner rather than later :thumbsup:

Emma x

Love the one in the field. Bet you are proud of the little chap. o:)

thats great emma,

my 2 love the long grass aswell, :huggles:

Hebridean said:
Love the one in the field.  Bet you are proud of the little chap.  o:)
I am, chuffed to bits :cheers: He's such a good boy. He kept doing that over and over, he was shattered!!

Emma x

:wub: aww look at him go in that second vid ,hes gorguse :huggles:

bless him :huggles: such a worry when you first let them off isnt it :sweating: he is a little star :wub:

I don't know what it is about long grass that makes them go nutty, all mine have done it, even the greyhound!

Dudley looks adorable :cheers:

He's loving all that running. So funny when your OH threw the toy and Dudley completely ignored it (w00t) typical dog!

Keep the videos and pics coming, you can never have too much Dud! :wub:

What a good boy...love the whizzing in circles, really finding his feet :wub:

aww bless him, looks like he's a bit of a mummy's boy :huggles: :huggles:

Aww he looks like he is having so much fun!

It is scary letting them off, I worry about Poppy a week on, still Im glad we did it too while she stays close.

She has only just started to get confident enough to wander ahead of us, she spends a lot of the time trying to trip us up!

Have you come across any other dogs yet?

Oh he definately needs to run with Ruby....or she needs to run with him :D

They would so much love running together. I remember Ruby on the beach at Bridlington on Boxing Day, only 5 months, and none of the other dogs on the beach could get anywhere near her she was so fast.

Pauline & Ruby

doggy182 said:
Aww he looks like he is having so much fun!It is scary letting them off, I worry about Poppy a week on, still Im glad we did it too while she stays close.

She has only just started to get confident enough to wander ahead of us, she spends a lot of the time trying to trip us up!

Have you come across any other dogs yet?

Not when he's been off the lead. On the lead we have though, he's a funny one sometimes he barks at them (not aggressive though) he's abit wary of small dogs (doesn't quite know what to do?) bigger dogs he says hello to and then sometimes he completely ignores them??!! Very odd :lol:

What's Poppy like with other dogs? We need pics by the way LOL :- "

Emma x

Okok more pics in the next couple of days! :- "

Might even take my phone to try getting a vid on here!

Poppy likes other dogs, she throws herself on the floor in front of them, rolls over to show she is no threat, really interesting behaviour. She is wary of bigger dogs sometimes runs over to me for reassurance. She sort of does this funny whine bark thing that means 'please play with me'!

She is hopefully meeting a 6 month pup next week so they can play! Luckily no aggressive meetings yet :wacko:

It is hard to not just pick her up when other dogs come along tho, just want to protect her! :huggles:

They just love walks tho don't they, it is the best thing ever to watch them start to explore and run! :wub:

Aww, those vids are brill :D Brought a smile to my face watching Dudley run around in the long grass having a "mad 5" (w00t)

His recall looks excellent - keep practising all the time to keep it in place :thumbsup: As they get braver they can become deafer :oops: :lol:

What a good boy :wub: . Congratulations on taking the plunge :D :thumbsup:

There is one very easy way to get a whippet to come. Just run away in the opposite direction. Works every time!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back