The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Meaning W In Bwra & Nnwrf

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Well i don't have a no limit dog running at the moment but if i had my suggestion would be------

surely it cant be right a dog at 60lb plus off levels with a 40lb dog that cant be fair!

---- if running off for supreme the only fair way to do it would be a staggered start with the biggest at the back in a yard per lb sort of format ---

not necessary yard per lb--------but for some sort of start to make it fair for all ----

i reckon if this was the case it would be much better to watch and more would run off -----could be done on times from class finals on the day-=--

steve

gary farmer said:
I agree with most of what you say Vicky but you could say the same thing for the yard per lb ers . I myself pull tinkerman 17lb out of the  finals now for fear of being hit by the larger dogs  on bends And on the strieghts people pull out with the big dogs saying they have no chance of catching the small ones 

but like you say thats there choise.

GARY :cheers:   :D

Well that's just it Gary it's the same with small scratch dogs and possible more so if your racing off scratch.

Karen-Coral said:
Well i don't have a no limit dog running at the moment but if i had my suggestion would be------
surely it cant be right a dog at 60lb plus off levels with a 40lb dog  that cant be fair!

---- if running off for supreme the only fair way to do it would be a staggered start with the biggest at the back in a yard per lb sort of format ---

not  necessary yard per lb--------but  for some sort of start  to make it fair for all ----

i reckon if this was the case it would be much better to watch and more would run off  -----could be done on times  from class finals on the day-=--

steve

That's what I was thinking Steve, maybe a time handicap would be more appropiate, it's how greyhound racing works so makes sense to me if we're running dogs so physically similar. :)

Great idear but if you did it on times it would mean that it would have to work the outher way if say a 40lb time was faster than a no limet would that person want to give it a start

id like to think yes BUT ???? :blink:

This does not happen that oftern but it does happen

JUST TO LET EVERYONE KNOW AT THIS TIME MY LARGEST DOG IN MY KENNELS

RUNNING IS 35LB SO IM NOT BEING BIAS .

GARY :b

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooo good one Gary! I'd have to say yes because all dogs should have a fair race, regardless of size. The problem is though we could say this about all handicap racing too. :wacko:

Haven't a clue what the solution is? Wonder if Tony knows! :lol:

Times were only an example ------

fair play/ level playing fields for all is where i am coming from

---but yes if it was that the smaller dog was the fastest-------

dogs had not any extra re-runs or that sort of thing

as long as times were right and nothing like bumping had caused the bigger/smaller dog that had won to slow down and other things that do happen ----

why not?

i suppose you could take heat times also into the equation in order to get the right balance---

Only a suggestion i like to try new formats out so we all end up crossing the line together then see the officials get in a strop--lol

steve

ps after looking at jacs reply i thought i better add this

it was only a suggestion for the scratch dogs supreme run off i was referring nothing else -- cant harm to try new things can it?

Karen-Coral said:
fair play/ level playing  fields for all is where i am coming from 

as long as times were right and nothing like bumping had caused the bigger/smaller dog that had won to slow down and other things that do happen ----

why not?

i suppose you could take heat times also into the equation in order to get the right balance---

Only a suggestion i like to try new formats out so we all end up crossing the line together then see the officials get in a strop--lol

steve

ps after looking at jacs reply  i thought i better add this

it was only a suggestion for the scratch dogs supreme run off i was referring  nothing else -- cant harm to try new things can it?

lots time handicaps where run in the 70s , all dogs timed on the day, not allowed to find more than i think 1 or 2yds , made a good days racing it was harder to pick the winners than it is at yds/lbs, it maybe something to think about to run the bigger dogs this way

When was sup scr started and for what purpose ?

when we were sorting the racing format for the 2 new NNWRF opens (whippet ledger bend /June Steele str) we tried to get some feed back from k9ers i.e 40lb & 48lb scratch did they want to try 1/2yd per lb for a change guess what no responce. We have a committee meeting on 26th Jan so if you would like to put your suggestions forward we will discuss them

as these are both non points events it would be a good time to try something different So lets hear from you SCRATCH racers do you want to try running the sup final handicapped from times in the classes or would you like a time handicap

for all in (these are just suggestions )

salvageman said:
Karen-Coral said:
fair play/ level playing  fields for all is where i am coming from 

why not?

steve

ps after looking at jacs reply  i thought i better add this

it was only a suggestion for the scratch dogs supreme run off i was referring  nothing else -- cant harm to try new things can it?

lots time handicaps where run in the 70s , all dogs timed on the day, not allowed to find more than i think 1 or 2yds , made a good days racing it was harder to pick the winners than it is at yds/lbs, it maybe something to think about to run the bigger dogs this way

Sounds like a good idear think it could work ,and if it makes a good race

then you have my vote .Wont please everyone thou :thumbsup:

Sounds like a good idea think it could work ,and if it makes a good race

then you have my vote .Wont please everyone though---

When did any one thing please everyone????

like i said at the start i have no big dogs that are running so i am not bias at all just enjoy close races

steve

cant understsnd how u can call its a supreme SCRATCH race when they arent going to b off scratch to me racing a 40lber with a 60lber isnt much different to racing a 16lber against a 35lber but that gets forgot about and as usual people talk about the scratch dogs. people say its not about the size its about the amount of ghd in them so if u got a ghd bred to a scratch dog and got one about 30lb wud there b this much hassle? i doubt it

The way i see it ...some type of breeding program should of been introduced years ago ... .. if we introduced it now..some breeders would think it was because of litters they have breed.

Someone come up with a good idea that will work to discourage breeders of putting bigger dogs together ..the generation thing sounds good looks good on paper, but as has been said people would just become dishonest as to whats been breed.

I think the safely factor should be looked at when running in sup scr for the smaller scr racers anyway

If there was no extra points added for sup scr would this discourage owners of the lighter scr dog from running off to a sup , or would the statues from winning sup scr still make a difference to them ... i know some may put there lighter scr dogs in to gain the extra points if chasing them esp on the bends

ok wot is the diff between racing a 16lber against a 35lber for extra points andracing scratch dogs of various weights agaisnt each other please for extra points? also this has apperntly got nothing to do with size and more to with breeding which is wot ive read

because a 16lb would be getting x amount of yards start off the 35lb carol as they are handicapped by weight

i know what you are saying scr is scr ..if times weights were considered for sup scr them you could not call it sup scr

i get u. but like ive said this has supposedly got nowt to do with size and a no limit is not neccasarily faster than a 40lber

sherry said:
i get u. but like ive said this has supposedly got nowt to do with size and a no limit is not neccasarily faster than a 40lber

No nothing to do with who's the faster

Lets say i ran bally spot at 32 1/2 lb in the 36lb which i have and won the 36lb scr..then the winner of the no limit is a dog say 58lb ..i wouldn't say the bigger dog is going to win just because it breed from what ever % greyhound , or because its x amount heavier or x amount bigger... what i am saying is the safely factor should be looked at when running in sup scr for the smaller scr racers ..

Now lets say the no limit misses the lids by 8 yards and bally spot winners by 6 yards and the 58lb now smashes into her ..whats the out come ..i regret putting her into the sup scr ...hoping to gain a extra point or 2 because i am chasing them .. or did i regret putting her in the sup scr just for statues

I am not saying don't run your dog in sup scr i am just stating my own personal opinions as to safety of sup scr

As for the breeding program i have no idea

And this works the other way i wouldn't put bailly spot in a bitch final at 32lb given a 20lber 12 yards ...as i my opinion she would be the one coming from behind smashing into the litter dog ...then again i would regret it

If you read the topic people with scr dogs are saying they want a level playing field...i am not saying i agree with them i am say about the safety of sup scr

maybe im reading the wrong topic but im sure i read somewhere its not about the size of scratch dogs or their weight its to do with the amount of ghd in them?

ballyspot is 32 sometimes over and go in 36 scratch forfeiting say 7 yards in sup against 40 pounders same as 40 s running with no limit in supreme scratch :( show three took on and beat the best in the country at 33 pound weight doesn't make em necessarily faster when it comes to scratch racing :) another example pennysworth taking on no limiters and beating them :thumbsup: but i understand people not wanting to risk running with a really big dog this was never a problem until supreme scratch was introduced :) as you had your 36 40 and no limit all staying separate :) winning there individual classes so maybe more than anything its the supreme scratch that needs looking at it was put on as something extra for scratch racers but it may be just that that needs fixing because you arnt necessarily going to get something under 50 pound out of even 2 straight cross whippet greyhound :) like i said earlier we ended up with a 56 pounder the same weight as magical :) dreams from a 26 pound bitch to freewheeler 32 pound dog :thumbsup: just my opinion again :D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back