The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Tail Of Three Whippets And A Brewster

Alastair E

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
It all started around 8 years ago. We were living in a house in the country. After much thought, planning, we decided to adopt a doggie from the local rescue centre. We visited many times, and found a little friend in Brewster, who is a small ginger coloured 57 varieties. He very quickly became an inseparable member of the family, a perfect dog in every way Everybody's friend!

A while later we decided to get another, as we had the time and room for it. A friend recommended the JR Whippet Rescue, and we contacted a great lady, who we soon christened 'Jean Whippet'! a couple of weeks passed then Jean called to say that she had a dog that was in need of a home. Skippy, if he was human, would have been a retired Major, Very proper, and a little excentric, He was an old dog, but full of energy, and loved a long trek in the country with his new pal Brewster.

A couple of months passed, and it was close to Christmas, when we all arrived home one day, our neighbour on seeing us arrive, said that he had our dog!--Not our dog, as he was with us in the car.

A medium sized Whippet dog, looking like he could have been Skippy's brother, very timid and hungry, he had been wandering about the lane where we lived, when the neighbour had picked him up. We immediately brought him in, fed and watered then he curled up in front of the fire as if he had been there all his life! We contacted Jean, to say that we had found a lost dog, as well as the local police and rescue centeres, but there had been no reported missing dogs of his description. Jean asked if we could keep him for a week or two over the Christmas untill she could locate a nice home for him--Well, as he fitted in so well with our two, we adopted him!

Sadly a couple of months later Skippy passed away, after short illness. The Vet at first couldnt find the cause of his problem but it turned out to be cancer. We had only had him for around 7 months, but he made such an impression on our lives!

Time passes and a great healer for berievement. One evening about 3 months after Skippy's passing, Jean telephones to ask a favour--There was a Whippet due for destruction at a less than reputable 'rescue' centre (It was closed down not long after) in the next town, The vet was booked to call early the next day. I rushed over, and got there in the nick of time, and grabbed a black and white mostly Whippet Lurcher, who had no name and very little background, All that they could tell us, was that he had been in a fight, was injured and left at a vets local to the centre A bright intellegent dog, we ended up adopting him too! We christened him Rocky--He is so much like Skippy in his ways its weird! Rocky unfortunately developed Cushings Disease, and we have him stable on medication. with 6 monthly ACTH tests. Apart from his coat which is rather thread-bare, (all part of the condition) he is still very active and happy.

Our family of three dogs got on great, The little whippet the neighbour found we christened 'Spot'--Very imaginative name I know, but being a faun/light grey brindle Whippet with a white flash near his shoulder, it suited him just fine! At the time we adopted him, we all reconed his age at around ten years, He was very prim and proper, hated dirt and mud and loved comfort. Various people that met him reconed he must have been a show-dog at some time or other, One Whippet owner even reconed she knew his breeder! From what we could work out he had been abandoned on the Black-Mountain, Nr Ammanford and walked down from there to our place, and been mistaken for Skippy.

Over the last couple of months, Spot has been getting more and more 'tired', not really enjoying his daily walks, often taking himself back to the car, and waiting patiently for us all to return. even the weekly visit to a friends small-holding which he used to enjoy was getting too much, and after a few miniutes looking round would go to sleep back in the car. He was ancient when we had him, and think he is about 18!

Last week the inevitable happened. Spot had what appeared to be an astma attack, and I rushed him to the vets. It was his heart--heart failure was the cause, and that most awfull decision had to be made.--I couldnt bear for him to suffer, the Vet said that there was very little more they could have done. He is sadly missed by everyone.

We have contacted JR Whippet Rescue to tell them of Spot's passing as well as the possibility of adopting another who is in need.

Rocky seems fine but Brewster is pining terribly, looking round the place as if to find Spot, he wont eat much, and is very depressed I hope he cheers up soon. Maybe new friend will help him through.......

What a lovely time these dogs have had with you :wub: - concentrate on that.

Hope Brewster does'nt have a long wait for a new mate - you know how it goes with rescue...sure it wont be long. :luck:

Sorry to hear of your loss but it sounds as if you all had a great time with Spot. I know how dogs suffer when they lose their friends - at least we can talk about it. Our little terrier who used to spend hours in mutual grooming with our little whippet somehow seemed to know that she wasn't coming back from the vets and we have tried very hard to compensate for her loss (plus talk to her a lot to overcome our own). She now sleeps in the bed where the whippet did but I draw the line at chewing her ear! Time is a great healer and it sounds like you are just the right home for another rescue dog - and one will find you when the time is right! Good luck and thanks for sharing the story with us - a sad one but with a feel-good factor. :)

Jacks

Alastair E said:
Rocky unfortunately developed Cushings Disease, and we have him stable on medication. with 6 monthly ACTH tests. Apart from his coat which is rather thread-bare, (all part of the condition) he is still very active and happy.

What a lovely tale! Hope Brewster soon finds another friend to console him.

I have highlighted the part about Rocky because I have a 10 year black Whippet who developed Cushings and had lost a lot of hair and also my 11 year black/white bitch, Coco, has Cushings symptoms brought on by permanent steroid use for another condition and looked very ragged at one point. But then I discovered a herbal supplement made by Hilton Herbs especially for Cushings Syndrome. I have used the supplement on both of them, but with especially great effect on Coco and thought Rocky may benefit as well. It can be used alongside his Vetoryl and you may well find that you will be able to reduce his medication by using the Cush X supplement

Hilton Herbs

I think you will find the product under the Veteran dog section. Hope this info is of use. The product seems expensive for a little bag but they do not require much per day so lasts a long time

Sorry for your sad loss - what a good age though.

:( and do hope your other dogs soon fine another nice playmate. :thumbsup:

What a wonderful family you have had Alastair. Thank you for sharing them with us. Hope it won't be too long before we hear the next chapter. :luck:

Somehow it seems to have helped me by telling their tales. Hopefully it wont be too long before there are three again!

Thanks to everyone for your kind words and the advice for Rocky's threadbare coat!--Ill give that a try!

If anyone hears of a small Whippet, preferably a boy looking for a home, let me know!

Thanks, Al.

Welcome to k9 Al :cheers:

What a lovely person you sound :huggles: Hope you find another wee dog soon :huggles:

Lovely to hear your story of the happy years you have spent with your lovely dogs. :) :)

Good luck in finding a new one for you and Brewster to share very soon. :luck: :luck: :luck: - and I expect Rocky will be pleased as well! :- "

Zephyr said:
Lovely to hear your story of the happy years you have spent with your lovely dogs. :)   :)
Good luck in finding a new one for you and Brewster to share very soon. :luck:   :luck:   :luck:   - and I expect Rocky will be pleased as well! :- "

Brewster is an awful lot better now. It was bad to see him so low, it just made us feel worse. Rocky seems to be fine all the time which is odd, as Rocky and Spot seemed the closest, always snuggling up together.

We are still looking for a Whippet, It just doesnt seem right at the moment with only the two!

Hopefully we will find one soon who needs a home.

Lovely story, thank for telling us about your lovely dogs. I hope you will find another one soon. Keep looking on k9 there are often Whippets loking for home, one was just adopted couple of days ago. :luck: :luck: :luck:

Lida

I'm sure it won't be long before another needy whippet finds it's way to you. What a wonderful/sad/happy story it was - but you cared so much for your dogs, it's wonderful to know that there are people like you.

I hope the reccomendation for help with Cushings helps you, it just goes to show how much can be learned from K9.

Good luck with your search to add a third doggy member to your family. :luck: :luck: :luck:

Alastair E said:
Zephyr said:
Lovely to hear your story of the happy years you have spent with your lovely dogs. :)   :)
Good luck in finding a new one for you and Brewster to share very soon. :luck:   :luck:   :luck:    - and I expect Rocky will be pleased as well! :- "

Brewster is an awful lot better now. It was bad to see him so low, it just made us feel worse. Rocky seems to be fine all the time which is odd, as Rocky and Spot seemed the closest, always snuggling up together.

We are still looking for a Whippet, It just doesnt seem right at the moment with only the two!

Hopefully we will find one soon who needs a home.

I know exactly what you mean- it is so strange when one of the company is missing-this has happened to us a few times. Everything seems out of balance somehow..... I loved your story, you are a natural writer!

Good luck in your search for a new addition to your family I hope you find waht you are looking for soon :luck: :luck: :luck:

I know exactly what you mean- it is so strange when one of the company is missing-this has happened to us a few times. Everything seems out of balance somehow..... I loved your story, you are a natural writer!

Ive been keeping an eye on K9, and contacted a few people listing Whippets, but being down in Wales, most often they are 'out of the adoption area' of the rescue organisation helping the Whippet!

I saw a post earlier which Ill reply to, about 'Jake Whippet' but it may be that he already has a home lined up. :teehee:

Ive been called many things, but a natural writer has never been one of them! :- "

Looks like we have a bit of luck in our search for a Whippet needing a home. (w00t)

A little while back, I contacted Linda Jones of the JR Whippet Rescue, to tell her of Spot's passing, and to see if there were any that needed a home. She called this week, to say there was a little black boy called Elvis :clown: that needs a home!

He's 9 monts old :nuke: and house trained, good with kids and other dogs He apparently doesn't bother the neighbours cat either........ o:) .

We are hopefully going up to Beds. tomorrow after Linda calls us to confirm Elvis's arrival in the building! :cheers:

His current owner, has split up with his girlfriend and the poor boy is left all day while he's at work, so he decided to re-home him as its not fair on Elvis...... :(

Lots of feelings of anticipation/worry/hope and general states of mental confusion :blink: at the mo!--Cant wait really though.......... :teehee:

Ive told Brewster and Rocky they can expect a new pal, but they just look at me daft :wacko:

Ill let you know what happens.............

How exciting for you and I hope Elvis turns out to be just what you are looking for in a new pal for Rocky and Brewster. Your dogs sound as though they are very loved and well looked after and congratulations on rehoming so many rescue/unwanted dogs. Let us kow how things go with Elvis - he sounds lovely!

I hope that Elvis comes home with you and fits into your pack well

Hope elvis is everything your looking for as you sound like everything elvis will be looking for :luck:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back