The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Tail Of Three Whippets And A Brewster

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Pennymeadow Whippets said:
Hope elvis is everything your looking for as you sound like everything elvis will be looking for :luck:

Well, Not long arrived back, after a horrendous trip involving duff directions furnished by a friend, Roadworks on the M25, and my own lack of sense of direction! :rant: :rant:

We arrived to pick up Elvis at around 3-30 (an hour or two late!) but thankfully Linda didnt mind too much!

Elvis, turned out to be a faun/red smallish pure-whippet with a black muzzle, and is ultra cute, very clingy at the mo, which is only to be expected He has a bit of a sad story, He was rescued as a young puppy, and rehomed with a couple who unfortunately split up. They both delivered him to Linda, and were very upset that they had to part with him. :(

During the day his past owners used to cage him when they were at work, something which goes against my grain, but I know is necessary sometimes, but all day, every day must have been torture for him. :wacko:

He was excellent in the car on the way home, sleeping mostly after the usual 'exploration' of his new surroundings.

We had planned to introduce our pair to Elvis on neutral territory, but the best laid plans!

It was dark when we got home, so we brought our two out onto a grassy area near by and then brought over Elvis. There was the usual sniffing round and minor grumpyness from Brewster but this seems to be settling down--I know its going to take many days before things get into a new routine but we are prepaired! :oops:

Currently, Brewster is curled up against me, while Elvis is sleeping at the end of the same sofa, (the place usually occupied by Spot) Rocky, who has some strange ways anyway has curled up on Elvis's blanket, on the floor! :thumbsup:

Elvis seems to have had little training and doesnt even respond to his own name We may re-name him, but will leave that decision untill he's settled in a bit, Perhaps he's just too disorientated to respond to anything at the moment! :teehee:

If I can get the daft thing to work, Ill take some pics of the lot of them and Elvis, and post them here............

i'm sorry for your loss, and incredibly happy that you have a new addition to the family. your story moved me. if more people were like you, you probably wouldnt have these dogs, lol! seriously, though, it is wonderful to hear of happy endings. i would love to adopt dogs, but having a staffie makes it impossible, because no rescue in good conscience would rehome to a place where the new addition may face harm :( i know my dog wouldnt, but fair play to rescues for taking this into account. its a shame that all potential owners arent as thoroughly vetted by breeders :(

once again, congrats and heres to your new baby :cheers:

Sorry to hear of your troubles and hope to hear and see more of Elvis soon. :luck: :luck:

(Are you still nr Ammanford? I hail from there originally!)

Elizabeth

Glad youve found a whippet to re-home - The tale of Elvis is very sad :( but hey ....looks like he has found you and fallen on his feet. :thumbsup: Look forward to more tales about him settling in - and any pictures pleaaassssse maybe? :- " Hope things work out with the three dogs. :huggles:

Last edited by a moderator:
Things are settling down slowly. He slept like a log last night, half under the quilt, as Whippets do!

Theyve all been for a nice walk this morning on Pennard Cliffs, which seems to have done wonders for the tensions that were present We took the decision to try him off the lead, and he responded very well to calls and whistles, but not his name! God, he can move fast--Its amazing to see him at full speed, and suddenely change direction! Its great to see him running and playing with Brewster and Rocky, Looks to have taken years off them both! He's quite tired this afternoon, and snoozing on the sofa, I dont think he has been allowed to run like that much before.

He is facinated by looking out of the windows, almost as if he wants to go outside, but its curiosity, He appears to be very intelligent, and eager to please, and very friendly, We couldnt be more pleased with him!.

Well done Alastair sounds like things are working out with your pack and Elvis seems to be happy in his new home. Perhaps he doesn't respond to his name because he is embarrassed by it! - A change of name sounds like a great idea (sorry all you Elvis fans!). Looking forward to seeing some pictures!

EMILY said:
Well done Alastair sounds like things are working out with your pack and Elvis seems to be happy in his new home.  Perhaps he doesn't respond to his name because he is embarrassed by it! - A change of name sounds like a great idea (sorry all you Elvis fans!).   Looking forward to seeing some pictures!
Thats what I was thinking Emily :lol:

Soooo glad that 'Elvis' is settling in with you Al :huggles:

Yes, perhaps he is embarressed by his name! I know Ive been a little embarressed shouting it out!--Bit pointless, as he ignores it anyway and we both look stupid!

We have decided to re-name him, as he doesnt respond We have decided Merlin is quite a nice name, which he slowly seems to be getting to know............

Got a couple of pics, here he is.........

P1010029.JPG

What a gorgeous, handsome boy he is, and the name "Merlin" is much nicer - suits him too! Brewster is lovely too and seems to have taken to his new pal well - I hope they have great fun together.

Merlin is absolutely wonderful!! I think he'll give you lots of happy moments.

Your story touched me very much and I'm really glad that after such a sad thing happy days came again.

:( Just caught up with this thread so sorry for your loss :(

But a lovely story to read, So glad things are working out for Merlin.

Sounds like he will have the perfect life now :huggles:

With lovely kind careing people :wub:

Love the pictures.

Oh, he's absolutely lovely! Merlin... mmmmm, that's a lovely name. Much better than his other name :b He looks wonderful there with Brewster, they are a matching pair in that photo, colourwise (maybe the colours are different in real life). How lucky you are to have found him and brought him home... but equally how lucky is Merlin to have found you!! I bet he can't believe his luck, living with such a nice family and having new pals and free walks and windows to look out of.

Looking forward to more stories of Merlin :wub: and pics of course :p

Sorry to hear your sad tale, but like everyone else I am delighted that you have been able to welcome Merlin into your special family.

Just because he is no longer called Elvis doesn't mean you cant still treat him like a King! :p

Brewster :wub: reminds me very much of one of our dogs that is very sadly no longer with us. He's adorable.

Lookign forward to more updates and pictures. :D

Awwwwwwww Merlin is gorgeous what a lovely wee face :wub: :wub: Brewster and him look like the best of pals :thumbsup:

Merlin is gorgeous - hes beautiful by the way and very much reminds me of Callista (Seraphinas dog) beautiful colour. :wub: :wub: and such a cute masked face. Glad hes settling in well. :thumbsup: .... Brewster looks pleased as punch :))

Hi Alistair im so glad that Merlin has now landed on his feet at yours and so glad hes settling in absolutly gorgeuos by the way. :wub:

Well Done Alistair on giving a forever home to Merlin. He's a lovely boy, his colour is so rich and he looks a real sweetie.

Jenny

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back