The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Thoughts on clicker training please

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
All the advice you need should be in that article. A pen would work if the click's loud enough, but if you then change to a clicker it won't sound quite the same which could mean you have to start from scratch. In my opinion it would be better to buy a clicker and in the meantime read up on it.

But if you're happy with Olive's level of training, you may decide you'd rather stick with what you're used to.

All the advice you need should be in that article. A pen would work if the click's loud enough, but if you then change to a clicker it won't sound quite the same which could mean you have to start from scratch. In my opinion it would be better to buy a clicker and in the meantime read up on it.

But if you're happy with Olive's level of training, you may decide you'd rather stick with what you're used to.
i have bought this clicker - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...980d-54fb-92f9-d08583295bdf&pf_rd_i=471468031
and a book for clicker training.

I tried it when Harri was younger. I think I'm just too uncoordinated somehow. We just use a marker word followed by a treat.

I tried freeshaping with Jasper but didn't do it very well - eventually the moment he saw the clicker he just barked at me and decided that counted as 'doing something'. I also used it to teach him 'shy boy', where on cue he would put his paw over his muzzle as if hiding his face. It went well at first but then he got lazy and didn't put his paw up far enough, and looked at me so expectantly I'd reward him anyway, until eventually he just twitched his paw and dipped his head a fraction:rolleyes:

That was my fault though - done properly, it can be very helpful;)

As others have mentioned as well as me - we started with a clicker after some training sessions, but I just had more things in my hands than I could carry, so now I use words, followed with a treat. So for example, if he passes a dog (and this might not mean the dog is literally right next to him) without causing a fuss, I say "good boy" and he almost always now looks up at me for his treat, so he has learnt to associate his behaviour near others dogs with my words and his treat. This is exactly how are trainer advised us, but we've substituted the clicker for words which is something she said we could do if we were struggling with having our hands full. It doesn't work all the time as Jimmy will get agitated around new dogs that are very close, but that it's working at all is very positive to me given his history and previous behaviours :)

I say "good boy"
Anything that marks the good behaviour works, whether it's a click or a particular word or other sound - it doesn't matter, as long as the dog gets the marker sound. However - I am not suggesting @arealhuman should change the marker words if it is working, but if anyone else is thinking of trying this - it is easier for the dog if you find a word or sound that won't be used except as a marker. It just makes it clearer what is being marked and your dog won't be confused, for example, when you greet him in the morning with a "good boy" and think he should be rewarded for, say, waking up! Even changing the tone or emphasis on the words can help but ideally find something unique.

My dog responded to clicker training, but too many things to hold on a walk and frankly, too cold. So I use it in the house, and I am making progress with the barking on his lead, only a little, but I'll take it. When I'm not dressed like an Eskimo, I'll try it again on the walk.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back