The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Thoughts on dissertation questionnaires

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Lounge' started by Josie, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Josie

Josie Administrator Administrator Registered

Hello All,

I get a lot of requests for dissertation questionnaires to be posted on the forum.

I wanted to gauge everyone’s thoughts on this and whether you:

like doing them?
    Don’t like doing them?
    Don’t particularly care seeing them in the chats?

The only thing I don’t like is when they don’t thank people for the time taken to do one or reply to questions.

Let me know your thoughts :)

2. Store
  3. JudyN

JudyN Well-Known Member Registered

I'm happy to do them, as long as I don't suspect they're phishing or spam (and I have a very suspicious mind). And if I don't want to do them, I can always ignore them.

I find the quality of surveys very disappointing, though. There's usually at least one question that I can't answer, or isn't clear.

Finsky likes this.
  4. Finsky

Finsky Active Member Registered

[QUOTE="JudyN, post: 1197650, member: 90634"
    I find the quality of surveys very disappointing, though. There's usually at least one question that I can't answer, or isn't clear.[/QUOTE]

Indeed...winds me up when the question has already assumption that I would think certain way, there for the option to answers are limited and I cannot tick any of the boxes.
    And even if I don't feel I can take part of the survey, I would still like to be able to view the results.

I don't mind surveys in general.

5. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

I'm generally happy to help for academic research. I remember how hard it was to collect data for my dissertation and having access to a wider audience and the online tools to analyse their answers would have made things a lot easier.

For someone launching a new product (or more accurately, usually reinventing the wheel) not so much but I can choose not to participate.

But thank you for asking us @Josie.

Josie likes this.
  6. DixD

DixD Guest

As you can tell from my previous posts, I’m not happy about it, for two reasons. The main one is that anything in the ether stays there forever, and I don’t like putting details out there, just because a complete stranger asks me to.

Secondly, education costs a lot for student and parents nowadays, and a lot of educational establishments are not doing their “customers”, as that is what students are nowadays, any favours by not teaching them to research properly, and allowing them to produce lazy work. How accurate is research if you can’t verify that it is. The researcher doesn’t know if the people surveyed are giving accurate answers; the people supplying answers don’t know who they are supplying them to, or how the information may be used in the future. And, if you throw in the ability not to answer any questions you don’t like, that slants the accuracy even more.

No problem having them on the forum, now I know it’s a regular thing, but I’m out for the above reasons.

Josie likes this.
  7. Dibbythedog

Dibbythedog Active Member Registered

Im happy to do them,

Josie likes this.
  8. niamh123

niamh123 Active Member Registered

Happy to do them

9. Josie

Josie Administrator Administrator Registered

Thanks for your replies :)

The majority seem happy with them so I’ll let them through.