The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Tick repellent

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register

Violet, that's for DOGS - i was talking about vax for humans. :oops: The original human-vaccine was pulled due to side-FX; a second human-version was discontinued in 2002 b/c not enuf ppl got vaccinated - consumer demand drives production; if it won't be purchased in sufficient numbers, companies won't make it.

Why Your Dog Can Get Vaccinated Against Lyme Disease And You ...
Why Your Dog Can Get Vaccinated Against Lyme Disease And You Can’t
Jun 27, 2012 -
Modern science has given us a vaccine against Lyme disease. But we don't use it.

A new vaccine-formula for humans is currently in development:

Lyme Disease Vaccine on Fast Track for FDA Approval - Newsweek
Anti-vaxxers stopped the last Lyme disease vaccine. The FDA has just fast-tracked a new one
Jul 25, 2017 -
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) this week announced plans to expedite approval of a vaccine for Lyme disease. Valneva, the maker of the vaccine candidate, known as VLA15, recently completed an initial evaluation in a small, early stage clinical trial. Now the company has been given a ...

... but it's not approved, yet -
Lyme disease vaccine | Lyme Disease | CDC

- terry

Ahh that's what you mean...

some non-chemical repellents & controls for ticks -
Natural Tick Repellents and Pesticides | Lyme Disease | CDC

Notice that some of them are for use on skin & clothing; others are only for lawn & garden application.

Lyme disease is set to explode, and we still don't have a vaccine | New ...
Lyme disease is set to explode and we still don’t have a vaccine...
Mar 29, 2017 -
"...how could a floor of acorns [in 2015] tell Ostfeld, a disease ecologist at the Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies in Millbrook, New York, that 2017 would see an outbreak of Lyme disease? It’s all down to what happens next.

A bumper crop of oak-seeds, 'like you're walking on ball-bearings', comes along every two to five years in Millbrook. Crucially, these nutrient-packed meals swell the mouse population: '2016 was a real mouse plague of a year,' he says. And mouse plagues bring tick plagues. Soon after hatching, young ticks start 'questing' – grasping grasses or leaves with their hind legs, & waving their forelegs, ready to hitch a ride on whatever mammal passes by, usually a mouse.

Lyme disease is the most common infection following a pest bite in the US; the CDC estimates 300,000 Americans contract Lyme disease each year, calling it 'a major U.S. public-health problem'. While easy enough to treat if caught early, we're still getting to grips with lifelong health problems that can stem from not catching it in time.

Thanks to a changing climate, [2018] could be one of the worst years on record: the ticks that carry the disease are now in places where it's never before been a problem – and where most people don’t know how to respond. The danger zone isn’t confined to the U-S: similar signs flag potential outbreaks in Europe. Polish researchers predict a major outbreak there in 2018."

Oral vaccine spread to treat rodents is far-more effective than other methods, such as pesticides to kill ticks, or rodenticides to kill mice -

Reductions in Human Lyme Disease Risk Due to the Effects of Oral Vaccination on Tick-to-Mouse and Mouse-to-Tick Transmission

Once vaccinated, the mice can't be infected by B. burgdorferei & are no longer a reservoir for the disease, but due to the rapid birth-to-breeding cycle of rodents, oral vaccine must be distributed at least 3X per year, in spring, summer, & autumn, to inocculate new litters.

- terry

I have been using the natural tick repellent oil and spritz recipes from Dogs Naturally magazine over the last few years and I can personally vouch for them! I have two dogs and live in a wooded area and they have been tick free! Highly recommended over the store bought stuff.

Pick almost any drug you can think of (human or animal) and you'll find scare stories all over the internet. Harri had Bravecto a few weeks ago as our usual Nexgard Spectrum is unavailable.

A post script to this. I subsequently had such a seriously ill dog that all this class of pesticides are off the agenda permanently. His symptoms matched what the anti sites claim and in fact are listed in the US product leaflet.

I've switched to natural flea and tick repellents. I have been using rose geranium and neem oil on his collar (on the side away from his skin) and also on his harness (again on the side away from his skin). He gets spritzed with a mix of apple cider vinegar (with the mother) and more rose geranium and neem just before we go out and he has the Billy No Mates herbal supplement in his food.

He smells wonderful! And so far I've seen no fleas or ticks on him.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back