The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Torn Cruciate Ligament-any Help?

FionaS

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

Dolly is in the vets today as she has torn her cruciate ligament (did it Friday), she is getting xrayed and they will operate either today or tomorrow. I am worried sick about her. Has anyone else's dog had this injury and if so how long did it take to get back to normal? The vet said no exercise for eight weeks so yesterday we went for a walk and my husband and myself took turns carrying her! She was sitting at the back dog barking to go out so we had too. We got some strange looks though!!

Sorry can't help but want to wish you and Dolly all the best :huggles: :huggles:

This is quite a common injury in larger dogs, such as Labs and Rotties, and many of them have some problems getting over it due to being overweight and putting great strain on the injured knee, or sometimes overcompensating with the other leg causing that one to be ruptured as well! :(

The fact that she is a lightly built dog is very much on her side, but the rest has to be strictly enforced in order to give it time to heal properly. :thumbsup:

I am sure she will do well, best of luck with her. :luck: :luck: :luck:

I would get her onto a Glucosamine supplement asap as this will aid the ligament to heal once it has been repaired.

I get mine from Healthspan and I would recommend the combination Glucosamine + Chondroitin with MSM & Vit C. You would need to give an initial 'loading' dose of, say, 2 tablets twice daily for 4 - 6 weeks and then a maintenance dose of 2 tablets daily. It is a build up effect so I would continue the supplement for at least 6 months but it is wonderful stuff for such injuries.

Healthspan

As Zephyr says, it is on her side being a lightly built dog but the down side is, being a young sighthound, you must not let her do too much too soon, I would err very much on the side of caution.

Hi Fiona,

I can see that many people are looking, but not too many posts about advice :( A sad and difficult situation as I understand that you are so worried about Dolly. I think that the recovery time for injuries like these can seem like an eternity, but a lot depends on exactly how the vet operates (from my dim and distant past as a vet nurse) and also what state the ligament is in. Some chose to replace the original ligament with nylon, others may repair, but again this does depend on the damage. To be honest, I am a bit worried about typing this as so much has changed since I was working in this field.

Weight is often a factor with this op, as some vets feel that smaller/lighter dogs (I think up to about 30-35lbs) can sometimes forgo surgery with confinement and anti-inflamattory tablets, but sometimes there is not sufficient progress after about 6 weeks and they then operate anyway.

All I can say is that one of my dogs had a severed ligament, but did recover very very well. Once she hit the 10 year mark she did start to suffer in the winters and also after any more than a mile of walking but she was a rottie and therefore much heavier and also with a shorter suspected life span, so she was generally a lot "older" than a whippet would be at that age.

We were very careful to wean her back onto exercise very gently so as not to overdo it. I wonder if Dolly is crate trained as this will make your life easier, and her recovery, especially if you have other dogs?

Once your vet has discussed exercise in more detail with you, talk to him about hydrotherapy. It seems to work wonders, and I know of two dogs that would never have healed as well without it (IMO)

If I am honest, I think that you are looking at anywhere between 2.5 and 4 months recovery, but this will depend on so much.

Sorry, don't feel like i've been that much help :b

I know this will be hard on Dolly and you, so good luck, and please keep us posted :luck:

edited to say, sorry had to stop for a while mid-typing, and in the meantime it looks like you have had some excellent advice :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh, painful. Don't know how bad it is in dogs but in people it can take months to heal - probably not what you want to hear. I think dogs heal faster than people though.

Good luck :luck:

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. She is cage trained and loves her cage so that's not a problem, but as you say as she is 10 months it is just trying to keep her still that is the problem!! I'll keep you posted. Thanks

Fiona

My Billy had this at 7 months old not long after we got him!

He is now coming up for 9 years old and you would never know he has had it done, if you look very closely and you know where you are looking you can see his scar.

It was difficult to stop him runing up the stairs and jumping on beds and sofas etc after her had the operation but he got over it very quickly, a piece of muscle was taken from his leg to repair the torn ligament, and the results in his case were instant, from limping badly and not putting his foot down to being able to walk on his leg again, every dog is different and he was a young dog, so maybe this was a factor, i remember it being VERY expensive £800 plus and we were not insured! :eek: :oops:

But we managed to find the money and he is a real gem i wouldnt be without, so good luck :luck: hope it all goes well and is not too much money :blink:

Hope this has eased your worries a little, its awful to see them limping it makes your stomach go in a knot.

My Jasmine did the opposite ligament to the cruciate (sorry, senior monent, can't thing of its name) when she fractured her leg last May.

After her surgery -

She was not allowed to jump or run for 4 months.

She was gradually allowed short lead walks.

She had gentle physio daily.

She responded fantasticly to hydrotherapy & I suggest you ask your Vet if it is suitable for Dolly. I am of the firm belief that without it, we would never have got her back to where she is now!

It was well worth following the advice we were given.

And yes, these injuries are expensive, ours was in the region of £1500 due to the extensive reconstruction of her bone.

Wishing you all the luck in the world - I feel so much for you! :huggles:

Editted to add that as Dessie suggests we also included homeopathic remedys.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would just like to say that Glucosamine is NOT a homoeopathic remedy, it is a recognised supplement which even Vets will prescribe but it is one that I have used a great deal with much success. The best priced, best formulated product, and the greatest choice of strengths etc I have found is the Healthspan products.

my mums bullmastiff has just had the op to repair it,s ligament,it has been a total sucsess partly due to the dog being very fit and trim(even for a bully, vet said the most fit 1 he had seen)sorry it,s 1 of my pups (w00t) she is 6 now and after a lot of tlc ,no steps or settes ramps everywhere(ever tried picking 1 of these buggers up) :eek: she is fine...but it cost over £2500 thank god for insurance.hope it goes ok with yours :thumbsup:

I have ordered some Glucosamine for her and was very impressed with the website. I would just like to thank everyone for their advice and kind words. I will let everyone know how ithe recovery goes. :thumbsup:

I have no advice, just wanted to wish her luck and hope all goes well....

Lots of Oooooooommmmssss coming your way (Good vibes)

Just an update on how Dolly is doing. She is recovering really well. She is now putting the leg down gently and has had three weeks without any exercise.

She has to have no exercise for another three weeks and this is driving her mad. I have been doing some training with her every day to try and keep her mind occupied and we have resorted to going out for walks and carrying her in a rucksack!! She looks like a baby kangeroo, so cute!!

She starts her hydro therapy next week, so we see how she likes the pool!! We are back to the vets in another couple of weeks and if everything is ok we can the start lead walking her!! She has been so good through this all. It's such a shame as she just wants to be out running! :cheers: I will put an updated photo on soon.

Nothing to add , but you seem to be doing all you can for her , 8)

Its a good job she is a whippet , I could just imagine you with a fully grown Rottie in a rucksack on your back (w00t) LOL :cheers:

:luck: :luck: for a complete recovery for Dolly :luck: :luck:

Glad to hear that Dolly is improving well. :luck: :luck: :luck:

My Dolly and Bobby send hugs. :huggles: :huggles: :huggles:

Thanks for the update Fiona, it is lovely to hear that Dolly is recovering well! Keep giving her the Glucosamine!!!

Hope she gets better soon, any pics of her in her rucksack :huggles: :wub:

Lts of luck

Kim and Tilly and Bean

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back