The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Training Around Small Animals (pets)

PineappleQueen

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
In the living room we have a large cage with two guinea pigs in. There is a lid and its secure but new rescue dog (been with us 24hrs) hasnt been in to 'meet' them yet.

My plan is to let him settle in the other rooms first, he has had a lot of upheavel in the last month going from a busy home with other cats and dogs and small children to my quiet home with older children who are not here so much.

He has been in the rescue for under a month but I get the impression he hasnt had a lot of time and attention for a while, he has the energy of a puppy despite being an 8 year old mandog! So I want to teach him to keep his eyes on me, and get his attention easily before we try in the same room as the pigs. The 'plan' is to start at one end (away from pigs) with a 15m leash on and allow him a metre further away at a time while doing his 'eyes on me' command.

He wont be in that room unattended and the cage is secure, but I dont really want him barking and scaring them either. Does anyone have any advice before I start? Or can link any helpful articles?

I'm no expert, but I think what you've set out is a sensible way to move things forward, backed up with praise and rewards for good actions.

Yes I think you've already got a good plan like @arealhuman said. It's good that he's already been used to other dogs and cats.

Just fill his little body full of positivity and praise when he doesn't react to them :)

Slow progress..... His initial interest in recall was clearly just for show so he would get adopted :p Now he is settling in he is trying to be the boss. Sorry chap, not happening :p

The point we are at now, the cage is up out of eye sight, he will sit watching tv with us and then spend 5 mins sniffing round the cage, he gets removed if he barks or goes into 'kill mode' ears back, neck out etc He only gets treats and praise in the sofa end of the room, near the diningtable and pigs he gets nothing. He knows to stay the 'fun' end but as pigs are such vocal things obviously the draw is always going to be there!

The problem i had with my initial plan is the door to the room is the end the pigs are at. So he sees the cage as soon as he comes in. This method was not working, allowing him to get used to them being there and knowing what is and isnt acceptable is working much better, even if it isnt the 'proper' way of doing things

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back