The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Training Help :(

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register

have hubby feed her by hand - 1 spoonful at a time, onto a saucer. She eats, she sits, he adds a spoonful... repeat.
Feed no more than half her food that way - the rest is "earned" [do something, get some].

Have hubby sit on the floor, if possible, so he's not looming - squat when he goes to put her leash on, & so on.
Be less face-on, more side-on to her.

She can wear her leash as a drag in the house when she's not crated, AFTER SHE'S VOIDED, outdoors, to get accustomed to it. // Have hubby follow her around at the very end of the leash, while she leads him - indoors.
Make it more normal, & use it more often than 4 or 5 X a day outside-only -- use it often, indoors.

Encourage her to LEAD him outside - drop a kibble just outside the open door, with her on-leash, & hubby holding the leash. & so on. :) CLICK! / treat when she exits; call her back in, reward, have her exit again, CLICK! / treat every time her nose gets past the door-jamb.

- terry

Looking at her photos, she defo needs muscle, but her body-condition is good, IMO.
She needs to build fitness, rather than merely gain wt. [Muscle weighs more than fat, volume for volume.]

Hi,

Your dog is beautiful!

I was in the same situation as you but we have got over it now so hope this helps.

When I first got Olive she was extremely clingy. We went to the vets to see what it could be and they said it could be that she is a Velcro dog or she has separation anxiety. So in a result of this I did some digging on these conditions and found this out.

‘A Velcro dog is a dog that follows you around and wants to be by your side at all times. Often called clingy, Velcro dogs have a desire to be close to their owners. Certain breeds are more likely to be Velcro dogs because they’ve been bred to be more dependent. Breeds that have been bred to work alongside their owners are also prone to developing clingy behaviours such as Velcro dog syndrome.’

Some common symptoms of separation anxiety in dogs are:

• Barking or howling when you are gone

• Being destructive (chewing doors, windows, household items)

• Attempt to escape

• Excessive panting or drooling

• Urinating or defecating when you are gone

• Pacing

• Your dog becomes anxious when you’re getting ready to leave
Some symptoms of Velcro dog syndrome:

• Following you from room to room

• Constantly needing or wanting to be next to you

• Keeping an eye on you at all times

• Anticipating when you may be getting up

• Always wanting to be where the action is

https://www.puppyleaks.com/dog-velcro-dog/

This is a great link that we used with Olive to get her back on track and she still has a small blip every now and then but not all the time.

This will take time and patience. Does she have to go in her crate all the time?

The best tip is use a Kong, before you go out give her it then she will think you going out is a great thing. If you need any more information please ask as I don’t mind telling you our tips and tricks.

Hi,

Your dog is beautiful!

I was in the same situation as you but we have got over it now so hope this helps.

When I first got Olive she was extremely clingy. We went to the vets to see what it could be and they said it could be that she is a Velcro dog or she has separation anxiety. So in a result of this I did some digging on these conditions and found this out.

‘A Velcro dog is a dog that follows you around and wants to be by your side at all times. Often called clingy, Velcro dogs have a desire to be close to their owners. Certain breeds are more likely to be Velcro dogs because they’ve been bred to be more dependent. Breeds that have been bred to work alongside their owners are also prone to developing clingy behaviours such as Velcro dog syndrome.’

Some common symptoms of separation anxiety in dogs are:

• Barking or howling when you are gone

• Being destructive (chewing doors, windows, household items)

• Attempt to escape

• Excessive panting or drooling

• Urinating or defecating when you are gone

• Pacing

• Your dog becomes anxious when you’re getting ready to leave
Some symptoms of Velcro dog syndrome:

• Following you from room to room

• Constantly needing or wanting to be next to you

• Keeping an eye on you at all times

• Anticipating when you may be getting up

• Always wanting to be where the action is

https://www.puppyleaks.com/dog-velcro-dog/

This is a great link that we used with Olive to get her back on track and she still has a small blip every now and then but not all the time.

This will take time and patience. Does she have to go in her crate all the time?

The best tip is use a Kong, before you go out give her it then she will think you going out is a great thing. If you need any more information please ask as I don’t mind telling you our tips and tricks.

She is wonderful ❤️
At the moment I’m chilled on the sofa in the sitting room and my partner is in the kitchen next door cooking dinner, she’s in there with him but keeps trotting back in booping her nose on my knee and skipping back to the kitchen. I am completely blanking her
Ive read about Velcro dogs and some things she does others she doesn’t but I don’t give her the chance too. Worse she does is raid the bins... an although annoying I’d rather that than chew the house to peices. There’s always one of us home but if we go out she goes in her crate. She does t have to stay in it all day but it becomes the only option for hubby when she is pacing incessantly for hours trying to find me when I’m not coming back.
It’s tough but the advise is great and reassuring, I’m all up for hints and tips

QUOTE, Mimoo123:

... The worst she does is raid the bins... I’d rather she do that, than chew the house to pieces.
... her crate... becomes the only option for hubby, when she paces incessantly..., trying to find me when I’m not coming back [for hours, yet].

I'd put the trashbins where she cannot get to them - inside a latched closet, behind a cupboard door with a child-proof latch to frustrate snoops, etc. // All she needs to do is find ONE rewarding thing in a month of trash-diving, & she'll be hooked. Then she'll do it again & again. :(
If she finds something dangerous & swallows it, U might not know B4 she became seriously ill [a coin-shaped battery, a plastic or bamboo skewer, a human-Rx pill, Gorilla glue... all kinds of extremely hazardous items in our everyday trash can drastically shorten a curious dog's life]. Pennies in the U-S are super-toxic - they are solid zinc nowadays, with a thin plating of copper alloy for color. A dog or a child who swallows one can be poisoned in 24-hrs.

Try the tether to stop her pacing - but don't forget busywork, to keep her teeth & tongue occupied. ;) Chewing is a self-soothing behavior, & dogs do it lifelong. A bull-pizzle, antler, or stuffed & frozen Kong can be her best buddy, when U aren't home.

- terry

Some dogs will always be bin raiders regardless of their background. As LfL says, you could put the bin in a cupboard, or you could get a more secure bin. I've seen SimpleHuman bins recommended quite often.

I have taken to putting bins on windowsills (along with shoes and various other irresistible items...)

I know what im spending my pay-cheque on when i get paid haha. Lots of busy toys haha.

The bins she tends to leave alone when i'm there as she gets a firm 'AGH no' even if she just touches it with her nose, but when my partners in his office and not watching her she takes the opportunity lol. Luckily our trash in the waste paper bins tends to be tissues and empty water bottles so nothing she can hurt herself on. She's to little to get into the food bin in the kitchen luckily.

She's at my mother in laws for the day today so i'm sure her best friend Finley the border collie will tire her out with endless play fighting and tag games.

She looks to be in perfect condition and does not need any more weight.
My working type cockers vary between 10.5kg to 12.5kg MAX ! My small old lady who was finely boned was always sleek looking and although she would work in the beating line or picking up, she never showed any amount of muscle, so don't worry about that.

She looks to be in perfect condition and does not need any more weight.
My working type cockers vary between 10.5kg to 12.5kg MAX ! My small old lady who was finely boned was always sleek looking and although she would work in the beating line or picking up, she never showed any amount of muscle, so don't worry about that.

I can imagine she will build up some muscle and condition, she had never been out on a walk up until 3 weeks ago but time will tell of course

My two year old working cocker is already 14.5 kg! Our vet says he may add even more muscle yet. I've had three small neat cockers in the past so he's a real shock...Gone are the days of a dog I could sweep up and tuck under my arm. You don't know how lucky you are!

My two year old working cocker is already 14.5 kg! Our vet says he may add even more muscle yet. I've had three small neat cockers in the past so he's a real shock...Gone are the days of a dog I could sweep up and tuck under my arm. You don't know how lucky you are!

Haha, my Springer Lennie is about 15kg and I can pick him up pretty easily but wouldn't be able to carry him far... and Poppy is about 10 kilo's shes a light as a feather lol

training any dog takes a lot of time and patience - just keep at it
Rescue dogs are difficult depending on the background they have come from and can take just a little bit longer

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back