The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Treadmill's

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
nicky12 said:
midlanderkeith said:
nicky12 said:
billy i usualy like looking at your pics but this one is very sad that dog doesnt not look like its bloody enjoying himself at all ,how about i tie you to a bloody tread mill for hour with just the wall to look at  :rant: get yourself a good barber coat hat scarf and gloves and get out in the rain and snow like the rest of us  :rant: sorry rant over  :p
oooooooh :lol: ya nasty pc of work young Nicky, im sending the collar back in disgust at that reply, and dont bother with the longjohns nayther :lol:

keith

:oops: sorry just first thing i looked at that moning and wasnt amused by it :b im not usualy that grupmy first thing :- "
Thats ok :huggles: we all do a bit of MONING, and get GRUPMY pmsl

love youuuuuuuuuuuuu

:wub: (w00t) does that mean ytou still want the longjohns then :- " :lol:

nicky12 said:
:wub:   (w00t) does that mean ytou still want the longjohns then  :- "  :lol:
To late fer grovelling Nick :lol: ive got my eye on a pair thats hangin and i mean hangin on the next door neighbours washing line, thanks for your concern for a senior citizen

:(

midlanderkeith said:
nicky12 said:
:wub:   (w00t) does that mean ytou still want the longjohns then  :- "  :lol:
To late fer grovelling Nick :lol: ive got my eye on a pair thats hangin and i mean hangin on the next door neighbours washing line, thanks for your concern for a senior citizen

:(

aww bet i could make better ones than hes got next door ,how about leopord fur longjohns now theyd keep ya knackers warm (w00t) :lol:

pmsl at keithy & nicky (w00t)

and im sorry but imo theres no need for a treadmill, get yourself outdoors with ya wellies on and enjoy it :thumbsup:

Treadmills can't be anymore monotonous than out walking.....don't know about the rest of you folk, but my two give the impression when out walking on the lead that they are hard done by.....head hanging down....slouched over with a despressed look about them....sometimes to the point i wonder if people think i am bad to them. If anyone has never been on a treadmill before...have a go....first few times can be difficult and emabarrassing.

well my dogs dont walk with ther heads down rain or snow they love it and love to play in the snow even ,when raining once of lead they bomb around like anything .

its me that walks with head hanging down slouched over with a despressed look :p

I think the point has been missed on here,in that the treadmill is used when the dog's cant be walked,for whatever reason.Ive had 2 heart opp's,and a hernia opp,where walking was out of the question even for me,for 7 week's i lay with a smashed knee.All of this time,my wife who had 3 kid's to look after,and everything else to boot,was able to go out to the dog shed and bring the greyhound's,(who loved the treadmill)into the house,and walk them for 15 min's each on the treadmill.Otherwise they could not have been walked every day.Ithink you would all be better worrying about those scum who break into people's houses and car's.Or those that fight the Pitbull's.Havent heard to many on here giving the Pitbull boy's a touch.Or is it that you are all scared shitless that you're wee doggy's might go missing like they do over here,when they want to blood them before a fight.Now this you should be concerned about.Not someone who want's to make sure that if summit goes wrong,his dog's will still get exersised.What is the difference,of a dog on a treadmill and a human,if both love walking on them.Pose the dog cant start it or stop it itself'

billyboy45 said:
As my pup's are now 11n1/2 month's old,i reconed it was time to introduce them to the rainy day walker,before the winter set's in.For a change,there was'nt much trouble  getting them going.Its been 3 month's now,since Trouble damaged her Grasilie's,so i decided to get her going on it too,as she will have to be worked on now,(but slowly),to see what the outcome of the last 7 week's on a lead has  been.Did a wee bit of retriving work with her today too,in the back yard,just to give the mussle a bit of stretching.So far so good,but she wont get any speed work for at least another 5/6 week's.Have a couple of retrieving pix in the camera,but here's one of her 1st time on a treadmill.View attachment 48569
i think im not missing the point here bill your your words

"time to introduce them to the rainy day walker,before the winter sets in "this says to me that if its raining or bad weather rather than gettinng your coat on and braving it like the rest of us ,you stick your dogs on that treadmill ,i dont think people go on treadmill for fun either :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
hear hear nicky. :thumbsup: billy i knew youd say someone else was there with your dogs but funny you didnt mention it till it was pointed out to you?must have slipped your memory eh? :teehee: as for people getting a life,why do you post on here and ask questions about other peoples views of using treadmills and when someone doesnt agree with you you start to slag them off and tell them to get a life.noone slagged you off for what youre doing,(despite what people may think)if you dont want peoples opinions then dont post a question asking for their views.simple really aint it? ;)

oh and is the dog in the pic another one that you 'dont tie on'?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that when it’s not possible to walk your dogs out or give them a good run, (for whatever reason)using a treadmill is a fine idea and see nothing wrong with it. Providing this type of exercise isn’t abused in any way and that the dog has a good social life the rest of the time.

It’s horrible to think of the poor greyhounds getting nothing other than a treadmill for training but I guess that’s the way it is and it’s better than nothing at all. :(

However, I do think that a bit of visual stimulation is required when on a treadmill… so get her a ‘flat screen’ TV so she can watch MTV at least !!

I love getting on my treadmill and am not happy 'till it hurts :sweating: .. about 5 minutes :- " :lol:

Tracey x

I think your last comment sums up why I wouldn't use a treadmill. They can't stop or start it themselves. The beauty of free running a race dog is they'll do what they want, if they're weary they'll idle about and I feel injuries are easier to spot as dogs use different muscle groups whilst walking , trotting and running. A treadmill makes this more difficult to spot IMO.

I guess I'm lucky as my lot will walk in any weather but the rare times I've picked up their leads and they haven't gone mental, those dogs have stayed at home. I remember last year I went Westhoughton one night and was asked why I'd left 2 dogs at home, I replied that they didn't want to come and folk thought I was mental! :lol:

beaubeau said:
I think that when it’s not possible to walk your dogs out or give them a good run, (for whatever reason)using a treadmill is a fine idea and see nothing wrong with it. Providing this type of exercise isn’t abused in any way and that the dog has a good social life the rest of the time.It’s horrible to think of the poor greyhounds getting nothing other than a treadmill for training but I guess that’s the way it is and it’s better than nothing at all.  :(

However, I do think that a bit of visual stimulation is required when on a treadmill… so get her a ‘flat screen’ TV so she can watch MTV at least !!

I love getting on my treadmill and am not happy 'till it hurts  :sweating: .. about 5 minutes  :- :lol:

Tracey x

Ah,someone else who like's tredmill's.And youre right ,no pain no gain.5 mile on exersise bike,2 mile on york rowing machine,and 3 mile on treadmill,3 time's per week,+ dog walking daily.When you've a ticker like mine,you got to do or die.Cant get these stupid dog's to turn the pedal's with their back paw's,while the front one's are on the handle bar's,or sit right on the rower.But we're getting there.The 2 are beside one n other in the kitchen,so mme and dog's can exersise together. ...Billy...PS.Would put a pic on of this,but i know what the outcome would be,so i'll not.

wild whippies said:
I think your last comment sums up why I wouldn't use a treadmill. They can't stop or start it themselves. The beauty of free running a race dog is they'll do what they want, if they're weary they'll idle about and I feel injuries are easier to spot as dogs use different muscle groups whilst walking , trotting and running. A treadmill makes this more difficult to spot IMO.I guess I'm lucky as my lot will walk in any weather but the rare times I've picked up their leads and they haven't gone mental, those dogs have stayed at home. I remember last year I went Westhoughton one night and was asked why I'd left 2 dogs at home, I replied that they didn't want to come and folk thought I was mental! :lol:

Jaq.I bet my dog's are free exersised a hell of a lot more than 90%of the dog's talked about on here.Dont forget,my w/g,were able to run 4 500 yrd run's flat out,and do the same time's 1st to last run.I gallop 3 day's per week,at 3 ,300 yrd run's per day,flat out,and free run for 1/2 an hour almost every morning before they get their breakfast.The 3 day a week flat out stuff only happen's when training though.I have 7 feild's,up at the mate's farm,where the dog's and me go round almost every morning.If i did'nt let them burn up the energy,the would'nt settle,and i cant afford to have noisy dog's.At the minute all i have at the house are the pup's who have been on it once,and Tara who is 5n1/2 week's in pup.When im training dog's i walk 3 mile in the morning and 1n1/2 at night.If it's wet,i will wait if possible for a break in the weather.If it dont come,then it's the treadmill.Ilive out in the country,with wee narrow,windy back road's.Its dangerous enough walking in bright dry weather,and madness when it's raining.Think it's better to walk them in the house and keep them and me dry,than to get every dog about the place soaked.Walking out coat's can only take so much rain.I lamped rabbit's and foxes all my life,and i can tell you,i was out in more rain,than any of you would want to see.

nicky12 said:
well my dogs dont walk with ther heads down rain or snow they love it and love to play in the snow even ,when raining once of lead they bomb around like anything .its me that walks with  head hanging down slouched over with a despressed look :p

Maybe i'm just bad to my dogs....i feel all guilty now :( ....will have to give them more tlc when out walking on the lead to see if it makes them bomb about....

To lighten things up a wee bit here, Billy get them an mp3 player for the days when they are on the treadmill or better still an ipod player.....mmmm wonder what music they could listen too....any suggestions anyone.

What's the bet John posts a picture with headphones on Colt or Storm :clown:

(w00t) On the road to know where!!! :teehee: :teehee: :lol: :lol: :D Diane

dazgail said:
nicky12 said:
well my dogs dont walk with ther heads down rain or snow they love it and love to play in the snow even ,when raining once of lead they bomb around like anything .its me that walks with  head hanging down slouched over with a despressed look :p

Maybe i'm just bad to my dogs....i feel all guilty now :( ....will have to give them more tlc when out walking on the lead to see if it makes them bomb about....

To lighten things up a wee bit here, Billy get them an mp3 player for the days when they are on the treadmill or better still an ipod player.....mmmm wonder what music they could listen too....any suggestions anyone.

What's the bet John posts a picture with headphones on Colt or Storm :clown:

aww dont feel bad i think my lot are full of beans as they know were ther going in the fields to run about and it dont matter if its raining or snowing ther always excited ,althou you try getting them out in the yard just for a pee break when its raining my ollie has to have his coat on or he wont go out my nieghbours must think im off my head cause before now iv been out ther with a big brolly over the dogs while ther having a pee and im getting soaked :blink:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back