The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Unknown Virus?

Katie Rolph

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My basset is 2 years old this monday (nearly didn't make it). Over the weekend she began being violently sick this continued till she began bringing up blood. She went to the vets first thing Monday and was dehydrated and also had Pneumonia due to inhaling the blood from her vomit. They were certain that she had probably eaten something and got a bone caught somewhere. So they left her for the day and she was put on a drip and some antibiotics I think. They did an x-ray and she had gas in the stomach which wasn't good. The next day they x-rayed her again and the gas had got worse so they opened her up to check for any blockages and found that every part of her intestines was serverly bruised and bloody, there was also blood inthe bowel (which she had also been pooing)and it was touch and go if she lived. The next day she made a recovery and I saw her and she is walking and drinking water on her own now, although shew is still very poorly. But the vet does not know what it was. They were brilliant at the vets and did a biopsy and we will know the results on Friday but they think it could be just a virus although they don't know what although they should do as it was very nasty or it could be some sort of dieease etc... All I know is that it sounds similar to Parvo but she has had all her jabs, from this vet - I'm worried the result may come in and they cover it up? I think I will ask for a copy of the test results so I can see for myself. As the jab may have been faulty - who knows? My vet is really good but I am paranoid as it was extrememly sudden and even they were shocked when they opened her up and saw the state of her inside and asked us if she had been innoculated and we said yes. Anyone else ever seen or heard of anything like this?

I miss my beautiful basset at least she will be back for her 2nd birthday although she will take a couple of months to get back to her bubbly nutty self. What a brave girl getting through all that!!!

poor girl :( glad she seems to be on the mend.

If other factors like poisons, toxins and bacteria (eg salmonella) have been ruled out then the diagnosis will most likely be a nasty viral infection, i've heard of several such attacks with similar symptoms attributed to this, though it can be difficult to provide pin point diagnosis. it sounds as though your vets are doing their best for your girl.

if you are concerned about parvo you could get her antibody levels checked, though if this was a factor in her illness they will be high anyway so won't give you a diffinative answer, it won't tell you whether she has had it just let you know whether she is still covered for it, ...for your own peace of mind.

i've probably not said anything you didn't already know :b but hope she is better again in time for her birthday :thumbsup:

:luck: :luck: :luck:

There is a new Gastric virus going around in dogs that is alot like parvo.. sickness blood in the poo etc and it even smells like parvo.

Alot of dogs I have taken to the vets recently and we and the vet has been sure it was parvo untill the test results come back!!!

beaker said:
poor girl  :( glad she seems to be on the mend.
If other factors like poisons, toxins and bacteria (eg salmonella) have been ruled out then the diagnosis will most likely be a nasty viral infection, i've heard of several such attacks with similar symptoms attributed to this, though it can be difficult to provide pin point diagnosis. it sounds as though your vets are doing their best for your girl.

if you are concerned about parvo you could get her antibody levels checked, though if this was a factor in her illness they will be high anyway so won't give you a diffinative answer, it won't tell you whether she has had it just let you know whether she is still covered for it, ...for your own peace of mind.

i've probably not said anything you didn't already know  :b but hope she is better again in time for her birthday  :thumbsup:

:luck:   :luck:   :luck:

So sorry to hear of your little girl being so poorly :( I do hope she is on the mend and has a lovely 2nd Birthday and gets spoiled rotten with all her favourite things :huggles: to her

Kirsty

She sounds very lucky to have pulled through this - and has been very brave. Well done and Get Well soon Girl. :huggles: :luck: and hope you are feeling better now too :thumbsup: also [SIZE=14pt]Happy Belated 2nd Birthday [/SIZE] :cheers: :luck: :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
parvo is a haemorrogic gastro entiritis but i guess there are other types of that that arent parvo but cause bleeding from the stomach/intestine/bowel.sounds pretty nasty whatever it is :(

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back