The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

VictoriaSonny

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi Guys,

Got another long question.
I am getting Sonny's first jab tomorrow (he is 6-7 weeks). Once he has had it, he is going back with his litter for 2 weeks until we pick him up on the 4th Sept for his second jab and bring him home that day.

The vet said he will be fine to go back with his litter after his jab even when the other may not have had theirs. The puppy's parents have both been vaccinated but not kept up with boosters, does this mean Sonny cannot be near them after his first jab? It might be worth knowing that the dogs are working dogs so are on the farm all day, everyday.

I want to ring the vet but I fear they may get sick of me calling.

Any points will be helpful :)
Thank you. x

My vet does not start vaccinations before 9 and a bit weeks because of the maternal antibodies. A year after the initial vaccination program a booster is given after first year, thereafter every 3 years for boosters.
We have dogs that we work and have never any problems with this method.

If the mother has been vaccinated at some stage, she will be carrying antibodies that were passed on to the puppies within the first 24 hrs after birth.

Please take care when vaccinating puppies that are still with their mum.
Please read the attached article.

What's So Risky About Puppy Shots? | Dogs Naturally

Last edited:
My vets wont vaccinate before 9 weeks either ..we had to wait to collect sid until he was 12 weeks so he could have both of his vaccines ...my lot get vaccinated until they are 3 yrs old and then they get titre tested ....

What sort of results are you getting from your titre tests ?

My lot havent had to be revaccinated in 6 yrs as they still have enough antibodies. ..some think its an expense but to me it just proves we do over vaccinate our dogs ...this doesnt include lepto but i never let my lot have that vaccine anyway ....

I'm pretty sure that as a child, my parents only vaccinated our puppies with two initial shots, (10 and 12 weeks or thereabouts) and I'm sure that lasted them for life ! There may have been other vaccinations that I was unaware of, but I don't think so.

I'm another that uses Titer testing, and so far she still has a high level of protection. OK if the cost is important I can see some would be worried, I can't remember how much I've paid but I realize that if her levels came back as low then I would be paying for a re vac on top of the test.

Lurcherman, sorry as I said I cant remember I think it was around the cost of vaccination but not sure. I'm fortunate in that the cost is no problem to me so I tend to pay then forget it.

Since learning about titre testing five dogs ago, that's what I've had done, and not one has ever needed another vaccination. I stopped titre testing each one at 9 years old.

What a wee cheeky woman you are excuseme, I phone spelled it out lol

Haa haa, no offence was meant:oops: I could just see a funny side to it:D

Hi All,

I have decided not to get any vaccinations until he’s 9.5 weeks old and home with us for a few days so he’s settled before a vet trip. Thanks for your answers! Got another question about food which I’ll post in another thread. :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back