The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Victoria Bush Fires

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
126.................................That may be only half :x

I was on line with Kirislin last night (The Whippet Forum). It was after midnight, she was very frightened, and was getting ready to evacuate. Healesville area (I think). She has not been back online today. Would love to hear from anyone who knows how she is.
Hope all those that live in at risk area's are safe and well.

Karen
Hi Tesa,

I checked on DOL (I'm Poodlefan there) and Kirislin is safe. She sent her horse to a safe place and is currently staying with friends in Healsville. They will evacuate again if the town is threatened.

I've not introduced myself here but hi to everyone and a special big hi to my hero Cartman :wub: who helped me find a lovely whippet pup from Ray Barwick late last year. Hi also to Shenace (and great to see you pups going so well in Oz) and also to Isilwane.

I'm the proud owner of Windyle Artisan aka Howard. Pic below of Howard being poorly stacked by his newbie exhibitor owner:

Howiesettingup.jpg

I'll do a proper intro one of these days. :b

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on line with Kirislin last night (The Whippet Forum). It was after midnight, she was very frightened, and was getting ready to evacuate. Healesville area (I think). She has not been back online today. Would love to hear from anyone who knows how she is.
Hope all those that live in at risk area's are safe and well.

Karen
Hi Tesa,

I checked on DOL (I'm Poodlefan there) and Kirislin is safe. She sent her horse to a safe place and is currently staying with friends in Healsville. They will evacuate again if the town is threatened.

I've not introduced myself here but hi to everyone and a special big hi to my hero Cartman :wub: who helped me find a lovely whippet pup from Ray Barwick late last year. Hi also to Shenace (and great to see you pups going so well in Oz) and also to Isilwane.

I'm the proud owner of Windyle Artisan aka Howard. Pic below of Howard being poorly stacked by his newbie exhibitor owner:

Howiesettingup.jpg

I'll do a proper intro one of these days. :b

Hello, & welcome.... :b

I really cant imagine having to leave your animals behind , my thoughts are with all those who have lots loved ones , of any kind :(

It will probably get to over 200. Have read a few storys of heroism on the net. 18 yr old boy hooked up a trailer to a 4WD tractor and saved 8 people (including his sister and kids), through smoke and embers on the property next door. Some of the survival stories are amazing. Most not so lucky though.

It will probably get to over 200. Have read a few storys of heroism on the net. 18 yr old boy hooked up a trailer to a 4WD tractor and saved 8 people (including his sister and kids), through smoke and embers on the property next door. Some of the survival stories are amazing. Most not so lucky though.
A true hero in a time when the word is greatly over used. I'm sure other 'ordinary' Australians have done extraordinary things and few will receive the recognition they deserve.

Some breeders have lost everything they own and/or their entire kennels of dogs. :(

A family of Malamute folk, their two young daughters and their dogs are gone. It's almost impossible to grasp the enormity of the losses. 5,000 people are now living in temporary accomodation.

And it's not over yet.

I am so worried for people and dogs in Victoria and now in NSW as well - it is SO unjust that we have this continual rain and excess water up here whilst everything down there burns. I am just continually crying about what I'm seeing on the news.
Please God - send them the rain!

Angus - are you guys ok? I heard Nar Nar Goon mentioned on the news yesterday?
Hi Lana, yes the NNGians are all ok! Thanks for the concern! We had the fireys base camp here for the Bunyip State forest fire. Was pretty scarey but when the cool change came in about 5.30pm on Sat the wind changed and the fire was going away from us! Good for us but not good for people on the other side of the fire! One of the guys at my work lost his property and just got their car out of the garage in the nick of time as flames licked around them. Another hasn't heard from his Uncle! It is just terrible!! I just can't imagine how all these homeless people are feeling! Angie

Thank goodness! Now I've heard about the one at Beechworth that could head towards Albury - rang Jenny Johnson yesterday and all was ok there then....

My Sheltie friend in Bendigo is also ok, and says the fire at Redesdale is contained, but she's still very concerned. She's on her own with her dogs.

I might ask the moderators to split this discussion away from our showing thread and create a separate one - hope no-one minds - but as we keep checking in to see that everyone's alright and get information it will take on a life of its own.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so worried for people and dogs in Victoria and now in NSW as well - it is SO unjust that we have this continual rain and excess water up here whilst everything down there burns. I am just continually crying about what I'm seeing on the news.
Please God - send them the rain!

Angus - are you guys ok? I heard Nar Nar Goon mentioned on the news yesterday?
Hi Lana, yes the NNGians are all ok! Thanks for the concern! We had the fireys base camp here for the Bunyip State forest fire. Was pretty scarey but when the cool change came in about 5.30pm on Sat the wind changed and the fire was going away from us! Good for us but not good for people on the other side of the fire! One of the guys at my work lost his property and just got their car out of the garage in the nick of time as flames licked around them. Another hasn't heard from his Uncle! It is just terrible!! I just can't imagine how all these homeless people are feeling! Angie

This is horrendous and I, like I am sure many others, feel so helpless here but please remember we are all thinking about you and praying that you stay safe.

Its so hard to imagine the damaging rainfall in one place & the destruction & death in another......stay safe.

annie x

My thoughts are with everyone in victoria. how tragic. :(

Marie.

i just cannot comprehend what these poor people have had to go through seeing pets and loved ones lose their lives must be truly horrendous :(

i just hope they catch whatever mindless idiot that started these fires deliberatley he/she should at least rot in jail for a very long time although no amount of suffering :( is going to be anywhere near enough to ease the pain these poor people have been through and will be going through for a very long time to come thinking of you all x

So sorry for anyone who has lost family friends or animals in these dreadful fires. Our hearts go out to you, and we hope the culprits are caught and dealt with very severely.

CFA have just downgraded the threat to Healesville. They still have problems up there though.

I rang my auntie this morning (couldn't get through to my cousin). They are in Healesville. She is there with her hubby and 1 yr old, she is also pregnant. I just want them to get to Altona and stay there for a few days. She was in Altona on saturday then when back to Healesville.

I don't think I'd stay with the house, I'd say screw the house, get my kids, pets and family out to a relatives for a couple days. Possessions can be replaced, lives can't be.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back