The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Warning!! Fatal Reaction To Worming Treatment

footheblue

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Oh no.. Yesterday one of our two Cavalier King Charles pups (11weeks old) had what seems to be a reaction to their worming treatment. Both of them were vomitting an hour after ingesting less than 0.3g of Granofen. For one pup this was as bad as it got, but not for his brother. Within 3 hours he had deteriorated to the point where he just gave up. He was seen by the vet twice, and he's suggesting that the poor guy's had a fatal reaction to the worming treatment. They are going to perform a post-mortem on Monday, but does anybody know of a similar reaction? Also, could anyone suggest how/if we should approach the drug company?

Last edited by a moderator:
So very sorry, I think I would write to the company to let them know. Keep cpoies of all correspondence and see what your Vet advises. RIP little puppy. :(

Do you know who makes the product, as my OH deals with animals drugs ??

I'd check with your vet, I'm not sure if the same applies but when humans have a reaction to a prescribed drug, the doctor has to complete a data form so that any adverse reaction is reported. Also, seeing as though a post mortem is being performed, I would imagine that Vet's follow a similar protocol too.

Really sorry you lost a puppy like this, I know it isn't any consolation for you but I hope this is extremely rare. :(

Everything said so far is sensible information. What is the active ingredient of Granofen? So sorry you've lost this wee one :(

Thanks for all your kind words guys... Charlie would appreciate it. Anyway, the company that makes Granofen is Virbac. The active ingredient is fenbendazole... the same as Panacur apparently. We would just hate it if this happened to another little pup! Does anyone have another wormer that could be suggested, because as you can imagine we are rather anxious about giving Bertie (the brother) these granules again.

So Sorry for your loss :( sounds like its been an allergic reaction - terrible.

What about Drontal wormers for puppies.

Cheers for the suggestion, much appreciated. We'll speak to our vet tomorrow.

I'd also recommend Drontal puppy wormer :thumbsup: ............ I lost 5 out of 9 pups at 4 weeks of age, several years ago when I used panicur, it was the first and last time I ever used it ! :(

Keep what ever you left of the product. Definitely, notify the company ASAP. There should be an address on the box. But i would just call first, if there is something not right with this batch, sooner they look at it better.

I am so sorry about your puppy!

There is no way i would give this product again.

Thanks for letting us know, and please post what is happening, if you can.

Lida

footheblue said:
Thanks for all your kind words guys... Charlie would appreciate it.  Anyway, the company that makes Granofen is Virbac.  The active ingredient is fenbendazole... the same as Panacur apparently.  We would just hate it if this happened to another little pup!  Does anyone have another wormer that could be suggested, because as you can imagine we are rather anxious about giving Bertie (the brother) these granules again.
Sorry to hear about the little fella.

I've recently had a litter of puppies and i used the strongid wormer it's made by pfizer. It's a paste in a syringe. I gave it my puppies from 2 weeks of age and didn't notice any ill effects at all. My friend uses drontal puppy wormer (liquid) from the vets for his westie puppies.

I've never been too keen on the granules.

The latest update is that the drug company is footing the cost of a post mortem. It should be carried out by the end of the week in Liverpool Uni. We'll post updates as soon as we have anything. On the up side, in order to prevent brother Bertie from fretting too mcuh, we have been back to the breeders and aquired a new play mate with whom he is bonding with brilliantly... Called him CharlieII. another King Charles 2 weeks younger than his new brother. Anyway, thanks for all your kind words everybody.

[ I'm really sorry to hear your sad news, :luck: with your new pup and the best of wishes for the future.

SUE

Very Good luck with Charlie - :huggles: :thumbsup: :luck:

Lets hope the drug company find something conclusive - that is good that they are doing this for you anyway I think. :thumbsup:

So sorry for your loss :( , good luck to Bertie and his new companion charlie :huggles: :luck:

Sorry to hear your sad news :( but good luck with your new puppy :luck:

Meant to add a lady known as Northolm on K9 had been doing a survey on wormers - she has a licence to sell them - maybe if you pm her she would also be glad to give you some advice on the wormers.

There is a thread on here somewhere. :unsure: - Wormers.

Ah here is is for you Wormers

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back