The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Weepy Eye

kaz4570

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi I wonder if anyone can help. I am actually looking for some advice! Our dog has developed a goey eye, it is just like constant sleep in his eye, it doesnt look sore, it isnt red, he has it fully open and it really doesnt seem to be bothering him. this only started yesterday and I dont want to over react and go running to the vet if there is something that I could do or if nothing is the best policy and see if it clears up.

Because he is so scared of the hoover (but loved watching the fireworks!!! strange dog :clown: )I brush everything and I was doing a lot of this on saturday, and he has to help! I thought that maybe he had got some muck in his eye and that this could be his way of sorting it out!

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Karen

Anecdotally - ie no research-based evidence here! - cold black tea is great for gooey eyes. Dip in a cotton wool pad, wipe once from inner edge of eye to outer edge, discard and repeat. Never re-used or re-wipe with the cotton ball. Discard the black tea and use fresh next time (chill it in the fridge, it's soothing). Wash your hands.

Do this as needed (every hour, or four times a day, you judge).

But I would say don't mess about with eyes - if it doesn't clear up by tomorrow then see the vet.

Good luck.

two of mine have just had the same thing,and i think it was the pup jumping up at them and maybe caught their eyes with his feet, i took mine to the vets just incase there was an infection brewing.

the vets gave me some cream for them which cleared them up within 3 days but needed to use it for 7 days with it been antibiotics.

you never can be too careful when the eyes are involved so maybe worth getting him checked out :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help!

I will give the tea a try tonight and see how we go.

If it isnt any better Iwill take him to the vet tomorrow!

I just didnt want to over react to a sore eye.

Although thinking about it, if it was my eye I would have definately been down to the chemist at least by now.

:b

Thanks

Bath it in saline (sterile water). If you havent any saline..boil your kettle, let it cool and use that.

Use cotton wool..makeup removal pads are better as they dont shed. Only use the pad once and wipe outward. Then throw it away and get another pad to wipe again if necessary. If it doesnt clear up in a couple of days or gets worse (red or iritates), take him to the vet

YIS

JS

Jack Sparrow said:
Bath it in saline (sterile water). If you havent any saline..boil your kettle, let it cool and use that.
Use cotton wool..makeup removal pads are better as they dont shed. Only use the pad once and wipe outward. Then throw it away and get another pad to wipe again if necessary. If it doesnt clear up in a couple of days or gets worse (red or iritates), take him to the vet

YIS

JS

Yes this is what I'd do aswell.......also after bathing the eye, make sure the area is dry before letting him out side, as cold weather and a wet eye area will make it worse :thumbsup: .....Hope hes better soon :)

I always keep a bottle of Brolene drops from the chemist in & find it clears most minor infections or conjunctivitis within 48 hours :thumbsup:

nina said:
I always keep a bottle of Brolene drops from the chemist in & find it clears most minor infections or conjunctivitis within 48 hours  :thumbsup:
That's interesting, what are Brolene drops? Monty has had a couple of mild eye infections and any tips to avoid the vets are much appreciated.

That's interesting, what are Brolene drops? Monty has had a couple of mild eye infections and any tips to avoid the vets are much appreciated.

My vet actually recommended it. You can buy it in any chemist from behind the counter either Brolene drops or Brolene ointment. I find that the drops are the best by far.

It is for eye infections & i find works a treat.

I always sloosh the eye out first with a very mild salt water rinse then an hour later start the Brolene treatment, do 2 drops twice a day & never had to use for longer than 48 hours.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

I usually keep some kind of eye wash for myself in the fridge and if my dogs get weepy eye I at first rinse it with Visine (or what ever i have), if it does not help i use Golden Eye Ointment. That is what my vet told me to do and so far it always worked quickly, if it did not i would have called him back in 3 days time. :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back