The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

What Are You Feeding Your Whippets?

Fern

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have recently become a proud owner to a 13mth bitch called Fern.

When she came into my care, I've noticed she was pooh-ing a awful lot about 4-5 times per day and was a bit farty! She was fed on 'Autarky' dried complete, it's chicken, so I have changed her to 'Nutro puppies dried complete lamb & rice'.

She is pooh-ing alot less now, I understand Fern is ready for adult dog food at between about 18 -20 mths?

I didn't introduce her new food gradually over 2 weeks as I should well do, because I didn't have enough of the previous so I did over 2 days (naughty)! But, Fern's got no sign of stomach trouble at all, in fact her pooh are alot more healthier & wholesome looking than before.

What are you feeding your whippets on? Out of interest. I certainly recommend 'Nutru puppies dried complete lamb & rice'! Will switch to adult Nutro lamb & rice too.

Any advice? Correct me.

:cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
i've recently started mine on Berties complete, after having trouble trying to find a food that wasn't bulked out with beet pulp :angry:

it's Gluten free and contains Linseed which seems to have put some shine and clean condition on them,it also contains yucca to reduce odour :thumbsup:

Murphy is not being fed for 2 days because he stole a kilo of dog food while i was at work, but when he does get fed he has Arden Grange and Nature Diet so he has a mix between dry and meat. He also has raw bones for tea once a week, and the occasional tin of sardines. If his coat looks dry he also has a glug of cod liver oil added to his Arden Grange.

My lot all have Red Mills Tracker although they do on occasions have a complete food called Dr Johns I'd never heard of it but the shop that orders my red mills couldn't get it one day so she reccomended this and they seem to enjoy it.

They also have pasta or rice as well

Fern said:
I have recently become a proud owner to a 13mth bitch called Fern.
When she came into my care, I've noticed she was pooh-ing a awful lot about 4-5 times per day and was a bit farty!  She was fed on 'Autarky' dried complete, it's chicken, so I have changed her to 'Nutro puppies dried complete lamb & rice'. 

She is pooh-ing alot less now, I understand Fern is ready for adult dog food at between about 18 -20 mths? 

I didn't introduce her new food gradually over 2 weeks as I should well do, because I didn't have enough of the previous so I did over 2 days (naughty)!  But,  Fern's got no sign of stomach trouble at all, in fact her pooh are alot more healthier & wholesome looking than before.

What are you feeding your whippets on?  Out of interest.  I certainly recommend 'Nutru puppies dried complete lamb & rice'!  Will switch to adult Nutro lamb & rice too.

Any advice?  Correct me.

:cheers:

Tried most brands of complete for my dog, full of damn scurf with it, even adding oil capsules, of which i find linseed to be the best, try brushing your dog against the growth of her coat and see, so now i make up her food which consists of, fresh human consumption meat, freeze first, mix with some good quality dog mixer vegetables, brown rice and pasta, sardines in tommy sauce, tripe, dont cook it :lol: , i add a linseed oil capsule, just one a day, try this then you will see a decent wholesome turd, the list is endless.

keith :cheers:

Same here Keith I make my own with fresh meat,kidney or liver with fresh veg and pulses.

it :lol: , i add a linseed oil capsule, just one a day, try this then you will see a decent wholesome turd, the list is endless.

You have a way with words don't you Keith?!? :lol:

Jessr123 said:
Murphy is not being fed for 2 days because he stole a kilo of dog food while i was at work, but when he does get fed he has Arden Grange and Nature Diet so he has a mix between dry and meat.  He also has raw bones for tea once a week, and the occasional tin of sardines.  If his coat looks dry he also has a glug of cod liver oil added to his Arden Grange.
Ooooops :lol: Naughty Murph :oops:

I feed Eukanuba mixed with a tin of sardines a day at the moment - but she's going off it a bit - so Im looking at the more natural methods used on here

meddling said:
it :lol: , i add a linseed oil capsule, just one a day, try this then you will see a decent wholesome turd, the list is endless.

You have a way with words don't you Keith?!? :lol:

:lol: Turd you mean, i remember as a lad and this is the truth, :lol: i went see my doctor fer summat, he asked me what colour my stools where, i hadnt a bloody clue what he was goin on about, so my reply was, well dr, theres a green one in the kitchen, and a blue one in my bedroom :lol:

My smirnoff is on Puppy Royal Cannin,

she switched over to it really fast when I got her, it was nearly done in a day, she picked the bits of Royal cannin out of the other food, so the switch was nice and easy, I was exspecting it to take longer !!!

it makes sure they have purfectly formed poo's which is nice, and she loves the stuff.

meddling said:
I feed Eukanuba mixed with a tin of sardines a day at the moment - but she's going off it a bit - so Im looking at the more natural methods used on here
Eukanuba, expensive crap my friend, and why add sardines to a complete

no offence intended, cos your dogs coat is in brill condition

keith

I feed the BARF diet too. Chicken wings, raw tripe, beef, lamb, chicken

a good quality mixer, lots of raw veggies, pasta and rice.

Sardines, pilchards, cheese now and then, and the odd egg or two and goats milk.. :thumbsup: My dogs love it.

There is also lots more feeding advice in the FAQ section on this forum. :thumbsup:

I feed Ruby similar to Keith's method, but feed very little or no biscuit/mixer. Ruby has vegetables, fish, eggs, porridge made with goat's milk sometimes but her main diet is raw meats and offal. I use beef and lamb from the butcher [frozen first and then defrosted and fed raw] and Prize Choice beef, tripe, turkey, rabbit, lamb all fed raw. I give her SA37 supplement. She will soon be moving on to the Prize Choice freeflow chunks. She would have them now but I need to make a bit more freezer space for them. She has also has lamb ribs.

Ruby is 4 months old and has been fed raw all the time I have had her.

Her faeces have always been just right and she seems to be able to eat anything without getting an upset tummy. [Hope I haven't spoken too soon] :- "

Pauline

i hope i'm ok popping in this link

http://www.bertiescomplete.co.uk/

it gives a bit more info about the products :thumbsup: which BTW are british, natural and free from artificial colours, preservatives and derivatives :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

i've tried most of what is out there including cheap and cheerful, expensive and fancy, and D.I.Y, and this is so far the one that has had my lot looking the best

midlanderkeith said:
:lol: Turd you mean, i remember as a lad and this is the truth, :lol: i went see my doctor fer summat, he asked me what colour my stools where, i hadnt a bloody clue what he was goin on about, so my reply was, well dr, theres a green one in the kitchen, and a blue one in my bedroom :lol:
[SIZE=14pt]Keith you make me laugh soooooooo much!!!! :teehee: :teehee: :teehee: [/SIZE]

James wellbeloved at the moment,with sardines and rice sometimes :thumbsup:

Raw meat....tripe,beef lamb,chicken wings & plenty of veggies.Occasionally liver, eggs,sardines,cottage cheese & an organic grain & herb mix :thumbsup:

& of course there's always marrow bones on the go :)

midlanderkeith said:
meddling said:
Eukanuba, expensive crap my friend, and why add sardines to a complete

no offence intended, cos your dogs coat is in brill condition

keith

No offence taken - she's on eukanuba cos I got a big bag on offer - she aint getting any more once that's gone - she's a fish fiend and won't eat anything without fish added :lol:

beaker said:
i hope i'm ok popping in this link
http://www.bertiescomplete.co.uk/

it gives a bit more info about the products :thumbsup: which BTW are british, natural and free from artificial colours, preservatives and derivatives :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:

i've tried most of what is out there including cheap and cheerful, expensive and fancy, and D.I.Y, and this is so far the one that has had my lot looking the best

i feed my dog on james well beloved raw mince pasta and grated cheese sardines and now im going to try tripe (w00t)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back