The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

What Are You Feeding Your Whippets?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
meddling said:
midlanderkeith said:
meddling said:
I feed Eukanuba mixed with a tin of sardines a day at the moment - but she's going off it a bit - so Im looking at the more natural methods used on here
Eukanuba, expensive crap my friend, and why add sardines to a complete

no offence intended, cos your dogs coat is in brill condition

keith

No offence taken - she's on eukanuba cos I got a big bag on offer - she aint getting any more once that's gone - she's a fish fiend and won't eat anything without fish added :lol:

:lol: oh right, then i wont meddle again then :eek:

my two get raw chicken wings for brekkie - then for tea they have wafcal maintenance with either minced beef, liver or sardines

and bones when i've got them

princess phoebe eats most of what your lot all eat except she likes to have a nice latte and biscuits when she gets up bought to her in bed on a tray of course lol, she loves all the food we give her but where can we get tripe from?????? we live in norwich and we cant seem to get it anywhere around here so if anyone knows plz let me know as i know phoebe would love it as she goes bonkers when we give her dried tripe sticks from the pet shop....also if we can manage to get some what do you do to it!!!!!! lol do yu cook it or is it fed raw??,,,one last thing do any of you sit and feed your whippys from a fork and spoon or a dog bowl? we feed her from a plate with a fork and spoon and she has her own china cup for her cups of tea and yes............she is totally wrapped up in cotton wool lol we are mad abt her and even though we have gone through a lot lately with lorna,s ill health and we are aware we have worse to come...WE WANT ANOTHER WHIPPET lol. xxx

All your suggestions has certainly been very interesting. I had a whale of a hard time on the Internet searching for Fern's food. I know from my Whippet book by Ann Vickerstaff that whippets don't digest potato very well.

The reason I choose Nutro is because it's got no potato and chemicals, they put good cuts of dried meat into their products instead of fresh, because the fresh lose all their water and their majority of the bunk in the manufacturing process. The only problem I've with it is that the adult version don't have any fish oil like the puppies' one.

What should I do about that, give Fern a bit of oily fish? Nutro says don't add anything else extra as it ruins the balance of the diet. They've put sunflower oil in place of fish oil, should I trust them. Look below :wacko:

http://www.nutro.co.uk/ingredients.htm?PHP...250ac70758747f8

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I would give oily fish a few times a week.

But Im adding a link to a great site here...

http://www.dorwest.com/

there is lots of info on natural feeding and info on supplements that you could feed to your puppy too. :thumbsup:

http://www.nutro.co.uk/dog/adulth.htm

I've just found an adult version with fish oil in it. WHAT DO YOU THINK? I must have missed it, I bet it's the most expensive of the lot. Although I wanted to steer away from chicken because I was sure it was giving Fern the farts. Chicken makes me fart!

oakmoorehill said:
My lot all have Red Mills Tracker although they do on occasions have a complete food called Dr Johns I'd never heard of it but the shop that orders my red mills couldn't get it one day so she reccomended this and they seem to  enjoy it.
    They also have pasta or rice as well

Forgot to add the 2 greyhounds have a big pot on the oven into which goes chicken pasta rice fish any scraps left from meals they love it.

The other day they had fresh whole salmon for tea mmmm all I got was sausages obviously the salmon was boned before they had it. William won't eat raw meat of any kind I've even tried to sneak itt into his food but he spits it out. The pups have chicken wings as does the setter but the adult whippets will eat the occasionally but are not that bothered about them

It sounds like instead of using dried complete food, we all might as well invite our dogs round for dinner at our own table! Because I've noticed the further you go ingredient wise with the complete food the more similar it is to our own food!

to above: your dogs look so healthy! I love 'Owen'

Last edited by a moderator:
I use James Wellbeloved and add to this chicken, mince, fish, rabbit, turkey etc. They also have evening primrose oil capsules each day. Diesel has this as well but he gets the liquid form.

I have used other dried foods with no problem with the exception of Burns. This gave Beau a bad scurfy coat which took a few weeks to get over and Albus refused to eat it.

Their diet works for us and the coats are lovely and glossy.

James Wellbeloved - I think it's excellent for all breeds.

Mine also get leftover veg (cooked and raw), tinned pilchards once or twice a week and every night they have a tablespoonful of tinned Butcher's tripe in their dinner. They get a little milk in their breakfast and it does them no harm. This morning they had home-made mushroom soup in their Wellbeloved. Sometimes it's cooked mince, chicken or a very little liver in their dinner (too much liver can give them the runs).

Oh.. and Keepers Mix from Dorwest Herbs. And a cod-liver oil capsule three times a week.

Biscuits at bedtime, treat in the afternoon (a raw carrot or a chew).

They also get fruit quite often.

argos1 said:
where can we get tripe from?????? we live in norwich and we cant seem to get it anywhere around here so if anyone knows plz let me know  as i know phoebe would love it as she goes bonkers when we give her dried tripe sticks  from the pet shop....also if we can manage to get some what do you do to it!!!!!! lol do yu cook it or is it fed raw?
Prize Choice do a raw tripe and a Nature's Menu do a Tripe with veg. They come in 400gm packs and are easy to pop in the freezer until needed. I get mine from the local pet feed store but our local Pets At Home stock them too. I am sure you will find a stockist not too far from you. It is as cheap as feeding any other way. Feed the tripe raw.

Pauline

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back