The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

What could this issue with paws be

EnviousOG

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hey, I'm new to the forum. I was wondering if someone could help me with an issue my dogs having at the moment.

I've got a 2 year old staffy called Benji, last year he had an issue between his paws which became saw, I never found the root cause of it, the vets said it was most likely an allergy or something to do with the summer weather.. £300 later, I got some spray which got rid of it, cant remember what it was called.. it did come back but went on it's own accord.

A few months ago he caught mites, he was itching himself so bad he cut under his armpit area and it was also affecting me, my vet didnt even know why he was itching! I paid for anti itch tablets and some spray which did nothing.. I got some front line from pets at home which killed all the mites and his coat is back in top condition. This winter his paw pads look like theyve almost been burnt and they look really sore, I've been bathing him in epson salts all this week, he hates baths so it can be hard sometimes, can someone look at the picture attached and tell me what they think this may be? A fungal infection? What is the best remedy. I'd like to try home solutions first due to my vets just taking money and not coming up with many solutions. It's nothing to do with having mites? Thanks

Attachments

• 20191206_173359.jpg
    20191206_173359.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 290
Not being vets it's impossible for anyone on this forum to diagnose- so a helpful suggestion only here...whatever it is you can try soaking the sore pad in a solution made with epsom salts- half a teaspoon dissolved in a cup of warm water- place in margerine tub and sit holding paw for as long as you can! Dry gently with paper towel.

What sort of surfaces does he walk on? Is it possible he's been on grass that has been treated with some chemical?

He gets walked on concrete mostly, I have an old train track by me which was converter to a greenway, theres not much grass on there as most of it is mud, but majority is concrete.

It's really weird it looks like hes been burnt! Does this not look like a fungal infection? Some pictures on google look similar to this

Did you ever find out what this was? Our staffy has recently started suffering with the same looking thing as in your picture

Attachments

• AFBD2F82-4286-4E0C-906B-9B51D4511A30.jpeg
    AFBD2F82-4286-4E0C-906B-9B51D4511A30.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 188
  • C3AC5F28-4EEE-4A1D-BB60-797D1385BBDE.jpeg
    C3AC5F28-4EEE-4A1D-BB60-797D1385BBDE.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 184
  • 6E0F73DD-1A0D-4C20-8BEF-C805FEE28D47.jpeg
    6E0F73DD-1A0D-4C20-8BEF-C805FEE28D47.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 192
Hi mate. I havent found a definitive answer, the vets tell me it's an allergy, this and that. They basically just fob you off. I was then told it was a fungal infection, I soaked his paws in Epsom salts for months, he had some spray the vet give him.. nothing worked. I changed his diet to basils raw meat.. his paws started to improve, what I have found works the best is anasol cream, I cover his pads in it before bed and he wears a cone when I'm not there to monitor him as I've noticed when he licks them, they get worse.. Good luck mate, but I'd get a cone asap to stop her/him licking because they will make it 100x worse

my dog is going in for a castration, his paws were nearly better and whatever it is has now got worse again. Whilst he's under for the operation, they're going to take swabs of his paws to find out what it actually is

I hope you get a clear answer - please let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back