• any supliments

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • raw

• cooked

• Total voters

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Mine get fed a mix of stuff...

Meat: mince, liver, rabbit, chicken and sometimes they also like the tripe roll stuff from lidl.

Complete Biscuits: Always James Wellbeloved and sometimes those bakers meaty things 'cause Ruby is a bit partial to them.

Mixers and Veg: Rice, Pasta, carrots, peas whatever's in the freezer.

Supplements: codliver, evening primrose and kelp tablets.

and they get treats like tripe sticks and rawhide.

Always have a bit of trouble keeping the weight on Ruby but she's been a better eater since Luna arrived. I think I might have to watch Luna's weight in the future but she's fine and fat for a puppy just now.

Foxglove said:
I feed Tina on James Wellbeloved Adult.  She's having turkey & rice kibble at the moment and doing very well on it. 
  When I got her just over two weeks ago she was on the cheapest, nastiest crap from Wilkinsons...the 3 tins for £1 stuff  :eek:     I'd never seen that food before and will give any food a chance but when I saw the state of her poos  :wacko:   Olive green and mushy & slimey!!!  :x   And the stench as I picked them up  :- "

So I had a look in Pets At Home in the MetroCentre a few days after we got her and spent ages looking at all the ingredients and stuff and decided to try JW  :)   I slowly mixed it in and now she's on it completely and has the loveliest, firm brown poos ever  :thumbsup:  

Sorry if you're eating your tea......Neil reckons I have a poo fetish  :oops:   :lol:

James Wellbeloved for me too, Phoebe has a bit of a sensitive stomach and this suits her really well :) . She has it dry for breakfast and with a meaty pouch mixed in for dinner, smells yummy even to me :p

I completely agree about the poo thing too :lol: Phoebs does lovely brown carrots for me, dead easy to pick up and no messy bits left in the garden (w00t)

midlanderkeith said:
I make up my own, in there is pasta, rice, veggies, human consumption mince, a good quality mixer, her stools are that good, i shift em with my bear hands

Hairy with big claws then? What about your feet? :lol:

Janimal said:
meddling said:
Can someone explain the difference between barf and raw please?
Also can someone tell me what to buy/ask for in the meaty bones front please?

If you go into your local butcher and ask him if he has any knuckle bones or large rib bones...lamb or beef usually. some butchers will give them away others may charge a small fee for them. Also I buy a lamb rib section, sometimes from a supermarket and split them up into sections. I also buy frozen lamb chops for them and put them in the freezer.

Last night my lads had minced beef....with blended veggies...turnip carrots..green beans and banana...and a little mixer.

I dont feed large meaty bones every day....but chicken wings almost every day..after all these are still bones. :thumbsup:

BARF means Bones and Raw Food

Raw is just raw...

If anyone here is a member of the Whippet 'Forum there is a great tutorial on there at the moment on preparing your dogs food. :thumbsup:

Thanks Janis :thumbsup: - have seen that tutorial - think I should change my vote to barf then as she has 2 chicken wings everyday and God help me if I run out :- " and raw mince/chunks with some mixer as she doesn't like veg mixed in with her meat - she likes carrots on the side though :lol:

masta said:
tracy said:
Irie Ranger said:
We are on Royal Canin at moment. Dogs like it but im not really convinced by any of the stuff that goes into complete food. Colours and derivertives= a lot of shite
Its hard to find the time to hand make meals everyday but one must try

look on The Natural Dog Food website - no shite in their food at all - no hidden salt or chemicals as there are in James Wellbeloved and other so called premium foods. :thumbsup:

what is the website?

www.naturaldogfoodcompany.com

:thumbsup:

I have read everyones posts with interest and I was just wondering what you mean by a 'mixer'. I currently have 3 dogs who all have primarily James Wellbeloved with a variety of additionals for different needs. One has 1/3 veg for tummy problems, 1 has pasta for weight gain and 1 who has a mixture of veg and pasta so that he feels special too.

jgear said:
I have read everyones posts with interest and I was just wondering what you mean by a 'mixer'.  I currently have 3 dogs who all have primarily James Wellbeloved with a variety of additionals for different needs. One has 1/3 veg for tummy problems, 1 has pasta for weight gain and 1 who has a mixture of veg and pasta so that he feels special too.
I use the term mixer for laughing dog wholemeal or winalot if I can't get the former - a non complete (complimentary) food to mix with meat/tin food

Keano who lives with me is on Natures Diet and a complete greyhound mix

The rest of the gang living with the folks are on cooked mince and a complete mix(dont ask what brand it is)

Mum is bad for giving them too much treats i only give Keano one a day after his tea (am a bad mum) :lol: :lol: :- "

I cook beef mince every day mixed with greyhound maintenance, they also have roast chicken once a week ,1 tin of sardines a week(each) some pork chops now & again ,Liver .

Whisp is 30lbs now when we got him 3 years ago he was 27lb @ 2.5 years.

Chloe was 30lbs when we got her 4 months ago now she is 38.4lbs :blink: .........& pregnant :D

I have recently been feeding a complete, but he has lost weight on it and shows very little interest in eating it, only when he is really hungry. I used to feed tripe, but found it made him constipated, which was my reason for changing to complete. He also has a raw chicken wing every day and the odd carrot, which he loves. After reading everyones replies, I am going to gradually ditch the complete on its own, if it works for your dog, then thats great, but unfortunately I seem to have a fussy so in so...

Mine get raw chicken wings for breakfast and raw mince, either lamb or beef, and lamb heart with bone meal for dinner. Sometimes mix a bit of raw tripe in as well.

I get bones as often as I can, but it's not daily. I freeze and defrost all the meat prior to feeding.

Up to 6 months they can pick at Royal Canin Junior as well - but it's difficult to keep Ella away from it (w00t) and she certainly doesn't need to have any extra :blink: :oops:

They also get a variety of chewy treats too - pigs ears, tripe sticks, jerky etc.

Oto and Amos get a breeders mix with added raw tripe

Otis and Owen get an active working dog mix

Gin and Rose get a mainenance meal,

they all get garlic, glucosamine, chondroitin + charcoal for ginni, and occasional other suppliments if they are needed

they also all get raw bones a minimum of three times a week and any veg they manage to steal from the veg rack :lol:

oh and i also caught Amos supplimenting his protein intake by catching tadpoles from the water butt :x

Nature Diet for my two. They never tire of it (chicken & tripe is their favourite). I quite often add a biscuit mixer to add a bit of crunch for their teeth, and they get the odd raw chicken wings whenever I buy a whole freerange chicken for ourselves. I just wish i didn't have to keep throwing away all those plastic tubs (from an environmental point of view).

I've tried a lot of the good quality Complete Kibble type foods and they get bored of them after a month or two. I hate seeing their stomachs expand after eating dried complete food and having to drink loads of water as a result.

tracy said:
masta said:
tracy said:
Irie Ranger said:
We are on Royal Canin at moment. Dogs like it but im not really convinced by any of the stuff that goes into complete food. Colours and derivertives= a lot of shite
Its hard to find the time to hand make meals everyday but one must try

look on The Natural Dog Food website - no shite in their food at all - no hidden salt or chemicals as there are in James Wellbeloved and other so called premium foods. :thumbsup:

what is the website?

www.naturaldogfoodcompany.com

:thumbsup:

Had a look no shite but first ingredient cereal! -

Whole Cereals (wheat free). Chicken. Vegetables. 100% Natural Vitamins and Minerals.

why go to the bother of making a holistic natural diet and then make the majority ingredient cereal ie "filler"

my gypsy is a fussy bugger!!

she has a complete, but has started to leave it :wacko:

so im having to re think :wacko:

she doesnt like chicken wings :blink:

I'm shifting my ancient lurcher onto a raw meaty bone diet as per Tom Lonsdale - tried BARF in her youth but she wouldn't eat the veggies so I gave up. Have been encouraged to try again by the state of her teeth (not bad for 14 years old, but not as good as they could be) so we're reading the books and starting afresh.

and the new puppy (as and when) will be raw-fed from the start. Sooooo much healthier.

good poll!

ms

Very controversial topic this.......I think you need to feed whatever suits your dog,you & your pocket!! Most likely in that order too!

We feed and have done for the past 12 years or so Eukanuba,we previously have tried ALL diets & all brands but found this one to be the best for our dogs and as the saying goes...if it aint broke why fix it!

05whippet said:
Very controversial topic this.......I think you need to feed whatever suits your dog,you & your pocket!! Most likely in that order too!
We feed and have done for the past 12 years or so Eukanuba,we previously have tried ALL diets & all brands but found this one to be the best for our dogs and as the saying goes...if it aint broke why fix it!

It's not controversial - it's very interesting - no one is pressurizing anyone to change...or post on it if they don't want to :- "

I try to feed as much of unprocessed food as i can. In summer it is mostly raw, in the winter I am more likely to cook for them (even bought a pressure cooker for that purpose). I do keep small bag of kibble(3kg) for emergencies, like forgetting to defrost :b

I aim for unprocessed and something they have to really use their teeth on; chicken necks, whole pound chunks of gravy beef, half a ox heart etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
We use 1/3 Chicken Necks (chopped) 1/3 "Advance" Complete Dry (Australia) 1/3 Fresh Veg. Plus Canned Sardines twice a week.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back