The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

What Is The World Coming To

Status
Not open for further replies.

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Having looked at the site why oh why are so many people advertising their dogs at stud, dog owners have just as much responsibility for the welfare of the breed as bitch owners, and at the risk of upsetting some people, if you have to advertise your dog on a free site then maybe you ought to question whether your dog should be used at stud. A good stud dog will become known in his field and the stud work ought to come from there, not by randomly advertising on a free site.

Jenny

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said in my post. I am willing to pay for her, deal with her pregnancy and her vets bills and give her a home. My problem is that she is in Merseyside and I am in Scotland. I had just hoped for some logistical support. Perhaps Jane and Anne misunderstood my request in my PM.

I am still waiting for the owner to switch their phone on

Hi Eve, i just wanted to say how touched i was to read this.

Well done you, whilst i know ALL rescues are short of cash & obviously can not help EVERY dog they would like to, to me a whippet in need of help is a whippet in need of help & with yourself offering such a fantastic lifeline & chance of a happy life for this poor girl i really hope that someone or perhaps another rescue can maybe help you out with at least just the transportation.

Good on you for trying to help alone but i really hope you manage to get some help with this poor little girl. :luck:

I have to agree she would do best getting her pregnancy terminated as she is still in the early stages. Eve you are very good to offer to pay for this bitch, unfortunately there will most probably be another one in her place next week and the week after especially if they see they can get £300. If you want to give her a home and get her spayed I would go for it BUT most definately dontgive him what he is asking for this bitch.

As I said in my post. I am willing to pay for her, deal with her pregnancy and her vets bills and give her a home. My problem is that she is in Merseyside and I am in Scotland. I had just hoped for some logistical support. Perhaps Jane and Anne misunderstood my request in my PM.

Sorry, I am at the wrong end of the country to be helping out with transporting her... good luck Eve, hope it all works out :luck:

I am going to put some backs up here, but I am not one to mince my words. When Molly was advertised, it was technically with 3 weeks of pregnancy left. How far on she was was not evident untill the rescue had been planned and she had been seen and collected. If Molly's owner was so concerned about her welfare and genuinely unable to keep her then he should have been happy to give her to Scruples. This bitch has 4 - 5 weeks to go and is expecting puppies that will be a lot harder to rehome and may prove very difficuilt to birth being a Greyhound x Colllie father.

My vet has agreed that obtaining her and aborting the puppies by injections would be the best option. It may sound cruel and heartless but it is pracitcal and makes sense for the bitch. I can hear the shouts of condemation from here but I am practical as well as a whippet lover. If there are so many bitches in this situation and they can be helped in any way including pregnancy termination, neutered eventually and found loving family homes surely we should try to do our best

I am surprised that Scruples can be so selective. :unsure:

She is a whippet bitch, and if she is gotten to a vet fast enough she can be saved from going through this and a very possible 'C' section and be found a lovely home. It does not have the desperation of Molly's rescue or the high profile but I am really surprised Scruples is unwilling to help. I have offered to buy her and pay all vet costs and adopt her or have my very experienced frend adopt her, but that is not enough. I am still waiting for the owner to contact me about this girl. I may post again asking for transport help to Scotland if things work out. I will also contact JR Whippet Rescue and see if they are willing to help.
I'm willing to help with transport. I'm in manchester but commute to outskirts of liverpool through the week.

Every rescue has to be selective, there is no shortage of dogs needing help and as Chair of Trustees for a small rescue myself for the last five years the very hardest lesson has been that we can't help them all. Last time I had the courage to look at our waiting list we had nearly 50 dogs in desperate situations needing places. We are likely to be able to bring in another 2 at most this month - choosing is heartbreaking .

I can't speak for Scruples of course, but they have existed for less than two weeks. They have done an amazing job getting themselves up and running so quickly and being able to help Molly and her five pups, but I imagine they are still in the process of getting their funding and infrastructure in place, so giving them a hard time about being 'selective' seems at the very least a little harsh.

I do think it's fantastic that you are prepared to take this girl on with all her costs. I hope people here may be able to help with the logistics, and would suggest that you also appeal for help on some of the sighthound rescue sites such as Sighthounds Online and Sighthound Welfare Trust, as they tend to have members who transport regularly for rescues and who may be able to help.

Every rescue has to be selective, there is no shortage of dogs needing help and as Chair of Trustees for a small rescue myself for the last five years the very hardest lesson has been that we can't help them all. Last time I had the courage to look at our waiting list we had nearly 50 dogs in desperate situations needing places. We are likely to be able to bring in another 2 at most this month - choosing is heartbreaking .

I can't speak for Scruples of course, but they have existed for less than two weeks. They have done an amazing job getting themselves up and running so quickly and being able to help Molly and her five pups, but I imagine they are still in the process of getting their funding and infrastructure in place, so giving them a hard time about being 'selective' seems at the very least a little harsh.

I do think it's fantastic that you are prepared to take this girl on with all her costs. I hope people here may be able to help with the logistics, and would suggest that you also appeal for help on some of the sighthound rescue sites such as Sighthounds Online and Sighthound Welfare Trust, as they tend to have members who transport regularly for rescues and who may be able to help.
Totally Agree :thumbsup:

Having looked at the site why oh why are so many people advertising their dogs at stud, dog owners have just as much responsibility for the welfare of the breed as bitch owners, and at the risk of upsetting some people, if you have to advertise your dog on a free site then maybe you ought to question whether your dog should be used at stud. A good stud dog will become known in his field and the stud work ought to come from there, not by randomly advertising on a free site.
Jenny

BINGO!!!

I'm sure you've read me endless rants on here about stud use Jenny but for those that missed it. You ARE responsible just as much as the bitches owner is. In fact your probably worse because you mislead these naive 'pet owner come breeders' into thinking your stud dogs are some sort of exclusive dog that will guarantee sales of pups. So when you see all these pups in dire conditions or whelping bitches for sale, just take some time out to check out those stud owners too. :thumbsup:

Let's face it any decent stud dog or even a decent brood bitch will have a waiting list. If it doesn't then it ain't worth having one!

There used to be an organisetion purly to help tranport rescue dogs to there place of safty I cannot fined the address on my old paper work but might be worth a look on dog pages if anyones a member as i am sure they were on there. just ahd a look and there a section for posting help with transporting on there might be worth a look http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=6

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to put some backs up here, but I am not one to mince my words. When Molly was advertised, it was technically with 3 weeks of pregnancy left. How far on she was was not evident untill the rescue had been planned and she had been seen and collected. If Molly's owner was so concerned about her welfare and genuinely unable to keep her then he should have been happy to give her to Scruples. This bitch has 4 - 5 weeks to go and is expecting puppies that will be a lot harder to rehome and may prove very difficuilt to birth being a Greyhound x Colllie father.

My vet has agreed that obtaining her and aborting the puppies by injections would be the best option. It may sound cruel and heartless but it is pracitcal and makes sense for the bitch. I can hear the shouts of condemation from here but I am practical as well as a whippet lover. If there are so many bitches in this situation and they can be helped in any way including pregnancy termination, neutered eventually and found loving family homes surely we should try to do our best

She is a whippet bitch, and if she is gotten to a vet fast enough she can be saved from going through this and a very possible 'C' section and be found a lovely home. It does not have the desperation of Molly's rescue or the high profile but I am really surprised Scruples is unwilling to help. I have offered to buy her and pay all vet costs and adopt her or have my very experienced frend adopt her, but that is not enough. I am still waiting for the owner to contact me about this girl. I may post again asking for transport help to Scotland if things work out. I will also contact JR Whippet Rescue and see if they are willing to help.

Eve, I'm going to take the points you have raised in turn, hope that's ok :thumbsup:

Firstly, Alison's first post about Molly reported her as "heavily pregnant", and Trish can confirm that we quickly established that Molly was expected to whelp her pups on the 18th or the 22nd of April, dates relating to the two occasions on which she had been lined. Realistically this meant Molly could give birth within ten days of her rescue, as indeed proved to be the case. And yes, of course it was suggested to Molly's owner that it was unreasonable to expect to be paid for her, but ultimately we chose to pay what he asked rather than allow her to fall into less scrupulous hands at such a vulnerable time.

Secondly Jane and I did not decide lightly that we could not help this bitch, we spent some time discussing the options, including the possibility of taking her on and having her spayed immediately (as you say, a practical solution is not always pretty but often necessary, and in our view spaying is preferable at this stage to aborting her pups). But as I have already stated, we sadly and most reluctantly decided that she was beyond both our remit and our current resources. We are most definitely not *unwilling* to help but we have to husband our very limited funds in order that we can assist those whippets in greatest need. Only today we have had a young whippet found in very poor condition scavenging bins brought to our attention, and we hope to have arranged foster care by later this afternoon. It seems probable that this dog is not a stray but has been dumped and so will need fostering, rehabilitating and rehoming at Scruples expense.

We are selective because we have to be, and as the above, I hope, demonstrates. People have been generous in that they have donated their time and money to Scruples, but most donations, understandably in difficult economic times, have been small. To date we have raised just £600 - a sum for which we are truly grateful and which is an amazing amount in under two weeks - but which is sadly only sufficient to cover the cost of acquiring Molly, her food and veterinary care, and the other costs associated with her whelping. All further costs incurred as the puppies grow will be coming out of our own pockets until such time as we can raise more funds*. As a charity bound by charity law we have a responsibilty to our fundraisers, sponsors and members to be able to account for every penny of their money that we spend, and we must be able to demonstrate that we have spent it wisely and in accordance with our legally binding constitution.

Perhaps, as you say, we misunderstood you, but your offers of help both publicly and privately did not initially include mention of money, in fact the second post I have quoted is the first in which you made this clear. If you are able to afford to help this little lady privately then we can only wish you well and we are more than willing to offer what advice and support we can. Hopefully as Scruples grows we will be able to help many more whippets, but for now the two of us, even given the help we are getting from Becka and Gillian, are at full stretch. Jane, particularly, has a very demanding job and a fair few animals of her own to care for. Luckily she has hands on day time help with Molly and her pups, but even finding time to eat and sleep has been taxing her lately. We are doing what we can, which is more than many, so please don't condemn us because there are limits to what we can do. It has saddened both of us that we cannot help this bitch and others like her at this time, and that you suppose us somehow at fault because we can't.

Annie and Jane

*Lots more fundraising planned, don't worry, as well as promises of possible business sponsorsips being pursued.

Thank you, and of course you are right, it is very early days for us yet and we still have much hard slog to do behind the scenes :thumbsup: But as you say, hardest of all, quite heartbreaking in fact, is having to decide which whippets we can help and which we can't ... if only we could help them all :(

Annie

Fully support the difficult decision that Scruples have had to make here. None of us have endless pockets and rescues are exactly the same. We can't make money appear just becasue we want to, or because we see heartbreaking situations in front of us. It would be very irresponsible for Scruples to take on this bitch not knowing if they could do right by her. It is not unknown for 'rescues' to bite off more than they can chew and need rescuing themsleves, which does nothing for the long term stability of dogs who are passed from pillar to post. If other people feel they can help, then that's brilliant and good luck to them, but we can't expect Scruples to be the saviour of every dog we see in dire circumstances. These situations will just get more common if unscrupulous owners expect rescues to buy their dogs every time. They should be grateful to be escaping the expense and work, not making money out of it.

It is naturally one of those situations that will get people's emotions running high but having little digs about Scruples when they have done nothing short of a miracle over the past two weeks is a bit low IMO.

Its a shame that ill feeling has been brought into this but i totally agree with the decision that scruples has made. Luckily eve is willing to take this lady on which is brilliant. Good luck with her :thumbsup:

I think jane and Annie are letting their heads do the thinking and not their hearts.

I know they will want to take on every dog they read about but at the end of the

day the rescue has just this minute been set up, Jane has a job plus her own pack

to care for. She already has one nursing bitch with her and at the point she just

wouldn't be able to take on another mum/pups. It would be just too much :(

Hopefully something will be sorted out for the new girl, bless her. And scruples

will be able to help someone else once Molly and her beautiful litter have all been

sorted out with new homes.

Its heartbreaking really, everyday you can read somewhere of another animal which

is in need of a good home with plenty of TLC......there seems to be an endless supply

of unwanted, uncared for animals :(

This is a frustrating and ongoing situation insomuch as there will be many more unfortunate bitches in this position and can the K9ers really rescue all of them? I can collect and transport north if others can collect and do an onward chain to Scotland. Eve, you're a star but I do understand exactly what Scruples mean and you obviously have a limit as to how many whippets you can keep. Think about it but I can help if required.

Eve, I'm going to take the points you have raised in turn, hope that's ok :thumbsup:

Firstly, Alison's first post about Molly reported her as "heavily pregnant", and Trish can confirm that we quickly established that Molly was expected to whelp her pups on the 18th or the 22nd of April, dates relating to the two occasions on which she had been lined. Realistically this meant Molly could give birth within ten days of her rescue, as indeed proved to be the case. And yes, of course it was suggested to Molly's owner that it was unreasonable to expect to be paid for her, but ultimately we chose to pay what he asked rather than allow her to fall into less scrupulous hands at such a vulnerable time.

Secondly Jane and I did not decide lightly that we could not help this bitch, we spent some time discussing the options, including the possibility of taking her on and having her spayed immediately (as you say, a practical solution is not always pretty but often necessary, and in our view spaying is preferable at this stage to aborting her pups). But as I have already stated, we sadly and most reluctantly decided that she was beyond both our remit and our current resources. We are most definitely not *unwilling* to help but we have to husband our very limited funds in order that we can assist those whippets in greatest need. Only today we have had a young whippet found in very poor condition scavenging bins brought to our attention, and we hope to have arranged foster care by later this afternoon. It seems probable that this dog is not a stray but has been dumped and so will need fostering, rehabilitating and rehoming at Scruples expense.

We are selective because we have to be, and as the above, I hope, demonstrates. People have been generous in that they have donated their time and money to Scruples, but most donations, understandably in difficult economic times, have been small. To date we have raised just £600 - a sum for which we are truly grateful and which is an amazing amount in under two weeks - but which is sadly only sufficient to cover the cost of acquiring Molly, her food and veterinary care, and the other costs associated with her whelping. All further costs incurred as the puppies grow will be coming out of our own pockets until such time as we can raise more funds*. As a charity bound by charity law we have a responsibilty to our fundraisers, sponsors and members to be able to account for every penny of their money that we spend, and we must be able to demonstrate that we have spent it wisely and in accordance with our legally binding constitution.

Perhaps, as you say, we misunderstood you, but your offers of help both publicly and privately did not initially include mention of money, in fact the second post I have quoted is the first in which you made this clear. If you are able to afford to help this little lady privately then we can only wish you well and we are more than willing to offer what advice and support we can. Hopefully as Scruples grows we will be able to help many more whippets, but for now the two of us, even given the help we are getting from Becka and Gillian, are at full stretch. Jane, particularly, has a very demanding job and a fair few animals of her own to care for. Luckily she has hands on day time help with Molly and her pups, but even finding time to eat and sleep has been taxing her lately. We are doing what we can, which is more than many, so please don't condemn us because there are limits to what we can do. It has saddened both of us that we cannot help this bitch and others like her at this time, and that you suppose us somehow at fault because we can't.

Annie and Jane

*Lots more fundraising planned, don't worry, as well as promises of possible business sponsorsips being pursued.
A very sensible response you are both doing a fantastic job please don,t feel sad look at Molly and her pups that will make you smile it does us :thumbsup:

I agree whats already been said.I,m sure Scruples would help if they could,but having Molly and her babies,needs 24 hours attention,plus they only just been going for a few days,and want to get this all right and making sure that the Molly and her puppies are getting all the care,love and socialization they need.Its lovely that you are trying to help Eve,wish there was more lovely folk like you :huggles: :huggles:

Fully support the difficult decision that Scruples have had to make here. None of us have endless pockets and rescues are exactly the same. We can't make money appear just becasue we want to, or because we see heartbreaking situations in front of us. It would be very irresponsible for Scruples to take on this bitch not knowing if they could do right by her. It is not unknown for 'rescues' to bite off more than they can chew and need rescuing themsleves, which does nothing for the long term stability of dogs who are passed from pillar to post. If other people feel they can help, then that's brilliant and good luck to them, but we can't expect Scruples to be the saviour of every dog we see in dire circumstances. These situations will just get more common if unscrupulous owners expect rescues to buy their dogs every time. They should be grateful to be escaping the expense and work, not making money out of it.It is naturally one of those situations that will get people's emotions running high but having little digs about Scruples when they have done nothing short of a miracle over the past two weeks is a bit low IMO.
very good post, Annie and Jane have been brilliant in getting scuples off the ground :thumbsup: so i didnt take kindly to eve's post tbh.

in your 1st post on here eve, i didnt read anything that lead me to believe that you yourself was willing to purchase this bitch and home her..

also to abort a pregnancy via injection is not always the best option as i have read of some cases bitches go on to have deformed puppies rather than aborting them, so speying would be a safer more sensible option imo.

we could all search the internet for pregnant bitches for sale and come up with 100's i should think :(

Fully support the difficult decision that Scruples have had to make here. None of us have endless pockets and rescues are exactly the same. We can't make money appear just becasue we want to, or because we see heartbreaking situations in front of us. It would be very irresponsible for Scruples to take on this bitch not knowing if they could do right by her. It is not unknown for 'rescues' to bite off more than they can chew and need rescuing themsleves, which does nothing for the long term stability of dogs who are passed from pillar to post. If other people feel they can help, then that's brilliant and good luck to them, but we can't expect Scruples to be the saviour of every dog we see in dire circumstances. These situations will just get more common if unscrupulous owners expect rescues to buy their dogs every time. They should be grateful to be escaping the expense and work, not making money out of it.It is naturally one of those situations that will get people's emotions running high but having little digs about Scruples when they have done nothing short of a miracle over the past two weeks is a bit low IMO.
very good post, Annie and Jane have been brilliant in getting scuples off the ground :thumbsup: so i didnt take kindly to eve's post tbh.

in your 1st post on here eve, i didnt read anything that lead me to believe that you yourself was willing to purchase this bitch and home her..

also to abort a pregnancy via injection is not always the best option as i have read of some cases bitches go on to have deformed puppies rather than aborting them, so speying would be a safer more sensible option imo.

we could all search the internet for pregnant bitches for sale and come up with 100's i should think :(

Actually I think you would find it rather difficult to find pregnant bitches for sale on the internet . I regularly look at these freeads sites and in the last 5 years I have only seen 3 pregnant bitches for sale . A previous one , then Molly then this one . Of course I do not look at all breeds . I put the original post on because I was so appalled . :(

Annie and Jane

Dear Annie and Jane

I am sorry if my private e mails failed to suggest that I was willing to fund this rescue and may have led to some confusion or a feeling of critism. I have nothing but admiration for what you have done for Molly and her puppies.

Having spoken to my vet at some length after my first contact with Jane we decided that terminating a pregnancy by neutering at this stage carried the risk of too many compliactions as well as being very painful and distressing for the little whippie just removed from her home environment. There are injections that will teminate a pregnancy effectively and my vet is happy to carry out this proceedure given the circumstances of the mating and the fact that she is not too far on.

As you say, this bitch is not in the desperate situation that Molly was in and I do appreciate that. My vet and I are however quite concerned if this pregnancy goes to term. Firstly because of quite a high risk of whelping complications due to the breeding of the father and secondly the difficuilty of obtaining quality loving homes for what could be a very large litter.

As you say, Jane has quite enough to contend with at present and Scruples a limited amount of financial resources. I do not find any of you 'at fault' you have to be realistic. I do however feel that this girl could easily end up in serious trouble which is why I am trying to buy her. I do not have unlimited funds but I have enough to help this girl.

It would be fantastic if someone could help with the logistics of purchase and transport if it is required. I cannot drive long distances but hope that someone may be able to meet me around Annandale if transport can be arranged. The seller may also be looking for cash.

The sellers phone is still switched off so I am no further forward at present .

Please be assured of my continued support for the work you are all doing at Scruples

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back