The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

What Price For A Rabbit?

jinnyfizz

Coataholic
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I feed my dogs raw and buy in all the meat from my butcher.

I'm interested to know what I should expect to pay for a rabbit these days? Skinned and gutted, head off.

Should I be paying by weight or per rabbit as they vary in size quite considerably :unsure:

Thanks in advance for any info :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Taz Has catch six today as we were at ferreting. If we need to buy them they cost us £3.50 Loads of money. :thumbsup:

I feed my dogs raw and buy in all the meat from my butcher.I'm interested to know what I should expect to pay for a rabbit these days? Skinned and gutted, head off.

Should I be paying by weight or per rabbit as they vary in size quite considerably :unsure:

Thanks in advance for any info :thumbsup:
butchers around here charge as much as £3 per rabbit,whole skinned/gutted..that was a while back..i wasnt paying that!!..im not sure butches can supply fresh rabbit for dogs consumption thats why its quite exspensive..ask ya butcher

my neighbour who goes shooting get me freshh whole rabbit skinned gutted and cut in portions for £1 per bunny(havent had any for a while though)

I am lucky, I have a friend who shoots so game is no problem :))

Last time I bought one was about 1 year ago (very hard to find in butchers up here) cost £4.50 'dressed'

in Leeds market oven ready bunny costs between 4 and five pounds

so i dont buy them for the dogs unless any of the locals have shot or ferreted any.

i think its farmed rabbit and not even seen a blade of grass or a burrow not sure i would

eat it myself?

I've been buying them from my butcher for the last few months. They use a local supplier who nets the rabbits. He works a couple of whippets too.

I just noticed lately that they don't go as far as they used to when I'm feeding the dogs (I buy around 12 rabbits a week but have upped it to 14) so I wondered if it was because of the time of year. I asked the butcher today but apparently I am buying stock which was supplied around 3 months ago so shouldn't be young rabbits and therefore smaller :unsure:

I pay £1.80 a rabbit and they are supplied skinned, gutted, frozen and cut into pieces ready for feeding.

Last time I bought one it was £2 from a local butcher, don't know what they are now. My local feed store had large frozen chickens at £3 each when I went in there to get tripe. Never thought to ask if they were a regular line.

Rabbit has become 'trendy', lots of fashionable chefs creating recipes for it so pushing the price up. Our local 'game' merchant is now charging £4.50 for a rabbit, fully dressed. The lovely man I used to get mine from sadly passed away (75p each!), there are a load of kids round here getting into ferreting but. so far, I haven't managed to persuade them to clean and dress them for me! I haven't got the time to do them myself and I don't like doing it anyway :x

We sell rabbits during the season to a local game dealer for £1 each , we have to gut them first. He`ll take as many as I can get him They sell in butchers etc by weight but usually are about £3 each. In the trendier farm shops and on the farmers markets I have seen them for sale at £4 for a jointed half rabbit!! I`m at the wrong end of the supply chain clearly!!

We sell rabbits during the season to a local game dealer for £1 each , we have to gut them first. He`ll take as many as I can get him They sell in butchers etc by weight but usually are about £3 each. In the trendier farm shops and on the farmers markets I have seen them for sale at £4 for a jointed half rabbit!! I`m at the wrong end of the supply chain clearly!!
Same up her in Caledonia, £1 rabbit to local game dealer, they have to be netted or ferreted or head shot not bruised.

When I went to get my pet mince and bones last week, I looked at rabbit. £3.50 each! My feed sore supplies rabbits to feed to ferrets?? Don't know what they are like, couldn't sell me any!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chicken is cheap, but full of nasties!!!

I pay 30p a lb for good quality pet mince, it's got no rubbish like lungs in it. It does vary a bit, but the dogs love it.

Crikey, Anne!! £3.50 each (w00t) (w00t) (w00t) .......... what a rip off!

Pheasant is on the menu across my land at the moment - nice young birds which haven't learnt to take off fast or fly high enough :oops: :thumbsup:

For a change my lot had chicken wing and sprats!!!!! Enough sprats for two days £1, chicken wing for to days £1-67.

The puppy Zennor had his first chicken wing end and a sprat cut into four. He certainly loves his grub.

I can't go in the fields I usually walk, horses in them. So any chance of catching anything is nil at the moment.

I was lucky enough to buy quite a few rabbits for the freezer from the local youngsters who have got into ferreting. It took me a while to persuade them to clean them for me but once they realised that I would buy them on a regular basis then they decided they 'needed' the money... £1 each for good sized rabbits :)) That said, my neighbours now think I'm into witchcraft or something after the lads turned up at my door with their kill to show me before they cleaned them (w00t) My two had sprats for breakfast the other day and loved them, I've also got a neighbour who is keen on fishing and often brings me mackerel.....lucky dogs :))

:thumbsup: ive used woldsway before now. website is www.woldsway.co.uk. prices vary depending on what you want :))

Im lucky enough to live in such a rural area....you can hold of them so easily.... a local ex gamekeeper arrived at my door once

with a sackful.....he does a lot of shooting....but blooming heck cant handle that many at once. (w00t)

Also another friend who does a lot of shooting brings them already gutted and dressed for free, so really lucky.

Fortunately my dogs get them too on a regular basis and if they are not myxi or ridden with fleas I usually bring them home, and gut and clean

them myself...

Alison you big wuss Im surprised at you being a country girl... :lol:

To be honest, I wouldnt have a clue what they cost, Ive never had to buy one yet, so checked Durham animal feeds which is is our county

and notice they charge £18.00 for between 1 and 5 boxes of rabbit carcasses.

http://www.daf-petfood.co.uk/wb/pages/prod...frozen-food.php

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back