The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

When Your Best Friend Dies.

jacks

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My dearest friend of 5.5 years was put to sleep after a major investigative operation about 10 days ago after almost 3 weeks of vets not being able to say what was wrong with her. Although we have other dogs nothing can fill the loss of her warm body on the sofa or her intelligent eyes letting me know what she wanted. I am still waiting for the pathology report to come back from her liver biopsy - is it wrong/impossible to think of replacing her?

Sorry for your sad loss Jacks :( I lost my old lad of 12 and half last February - didnt want any more at all. Give yourself time to grieve. :luck:

Now I have Two... :))

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear of your loss. I don't think you can EVER replace a dog in that sense. But eventually you will find another that manages to occupy a large, but slightly different bit of your heart :(

jacks said:
- is it wrong/impossible to think of replacing her?
You have my heartfelt sympathy Jacks. :( :(

I don't think it's neither wrong nor impossible to think of replacing her. It's a fitting tribute to want to fill the hole she left in your heart.

Sorry to hear of your sad loss we had to do the same thing last thursday after our white girl didnt respond to treatment of course you will be devastated but take comfort from what you shared together the pain will ease and then maybe think of getting another friend but dont think of it as a replacement just another friend :luck: for the future

So sorry for you ... know exactly how it feels.

But you will find another special friend, and it's not wrong to do so. :huggles:

:( So sorry Jacks............. RIP little one.

I can't bear to imagine what you must be feeling :( So sorry that you've lost your friend :luck:

:( ohh im so so sorry about your loss ive got 1 dog and hes just brilliant a cant imagen lossing him ive got another coming from a well known dog called (fuller spirit) but i hope you and your dogs aare brilliant in the future bye xxxxxx mandy :(

So sorry for your loss Jacks. The next one will never replace but, in time, I am sure you will be able to love again, they are all so different.

i'm truly sorry to hear of your loss,

you can never replace a friend only fill the gap left on the sofa,

I'm so very sorry about your loss Jacks. I can only reiterate what everyone else has said and when it's time to have another one you will know.

Jenny

beaker said:
i'm truly sorry to hear of your loss,you can never replace a friend only fill the gap left on the sofa,

That is so true!

Ella is my world, i've lost dogs recently but i am gonna crumble when anything happens to her :(

I'm so sorry for your loss. It must be terrible.

I hope you feel able to look for a different friend one day, she wouldn't want you to be sad.

So sorry to hear of the loss of your dear companion, like everyone else has said you will know when the time is right for you to get another one.

thinking of you at this sad time.

Even when it is half expected... it is still a shock.

I am so sorry for how you feel right now.

It is never WRONG to think about having another one. Perhaps you could just change the word "replace".

Two things may help you to get through the dark days ahead.

Firstly.... your other dogs will feel your grief and they will have their own to cope with too..... one or other of them may be missing her too... and they cannot understand things the way you can. For THEIR sakes, you have to carry on as nearly normal as you can in the circumstances.

Daily rituals will carry on - feeding, cleaning, walking etc etc... these things must be done.

A heavy heart wears you down...... try to cheer your other dogs up.... (acting becomes a way of life ! ! )

I always hope that when I choose to let another friend into my life... fate will lend a hand and that my departed friend will be able to 'hitch a ride' - you see I truly believe in dog's souls remaining, and when possible I believe that they will return.

Cling to that hope and one day it will happen..

For now.... you have to wait to hear from the vet - not nice. And no matter what he says it will not bring her back.

Try going for long walks with the dogs you have now......

If it helps... build a little rockery in the garden.. put some flowers there.

Light a candle each night and the tears will lessen each night.

Sorry if I have written too lengthy a mail.... but I know so well how you must be feeling right now..... I too will light a candle what is her name??

To lose any pet is bad enough , but when its the `special` one its even harder :( How I will cope when my Mayzee goes to rainbow bridge Ive no idea :( :(

You will know when the time is right , No other animal will ever be able to replace the one you have lost , but like people they are all indiviuals .

Thinking of you at this sad time

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry to hear of your sad loss. It will take time for your heart to mend and like the others said, I'm sure you will know when the time is right to add another addition into your family. May all the happy memories stay in your heart forever and hopefully once the pain lessens, you will be able to think of her with a smile upon your face.

Kirsty

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back