The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Where Can I Learn Lamping?

Nubian

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello there!

I am still fairly new to this site so please bear with me if any of my questions seem a bit silly.

I am seriously thinking of getting a whippet (or maybe a lurcher) with a view to racing in the summer and to do some working in the winter.

I have been to watch harecourisng in the past (before it was banned)but have never been lamping.

Is there anyone or anywhere I could go to to watch some lamping?

I live in Enfield in Middlesex but I am prepared to travel.

I promise not to get in anybody's way but I am willing to offer a pair of (inexperienced) hands if required.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Cheers :D

Nubian said:
Hello there!
I am still fairly new to this site so please bear with me if any of my questions seem a bit silly.

I am seriously thinking of getting a whippet (or maybe a lurcher) with a view to racing in the summer and to do some working in the winter.

I have been to watch harecourisng in the past (before it was banned)but have never been lamping.

Is there anyone or anywhere I could go to to watch some lamping?

I live in Enfield in Middlesex but I am prepared to travel.

I promise not to get in anybody's way but I am willing to offer a pair of (inexperienced) hands if required.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Cheers :D

get yourself out on a dark night with dog and lamp. learn yourself through trial and error is allways the best way.. :thumbsup:

theres a guy on here called lamping man maybe he can help?

i forgot to say do you keep goats(Nubian) i had them as i little girl

i forgot to say do you keep goats(Nubian) i had them as i little girl

sparky said:
:teehee:   :teehee:   :teehee:   :teehee:   :teehee:   :teehee:   :teehee:   :teehee:   :teehee:
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not quite sure what this one means Sparky but thanks for your earlier reply. I don'y mind trying to teach myself but I thought it might be easier and I might feel more confident if I could see it being done first.

Thanks to Devo 12 too! I see that lamping man has been reading this topic so if he would like to add anything I'd be extremely grateful...to answer your question, no I don't keep nubian goats but I have seen pictures of them and they do look nice.

Pennymeadow whippets: Thanks for your reply but I'm not sure what you are trying to tell me. Perhaps you could post again as I think there might be a problem with the site at the moment and it has been difficult to post a reply.

Thanks for your responses so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get yourself a lamp & dog get some permission in writing from a farmer or land owner then go out on a dark windy night scan the field & you will see the red eyes of the rabbits walk up to them & slip your dog on the rabbit continue to do this & the dog will soon start to look down the beam of light from your lamp for rabbits.

nubian please dont take offence. we are only having fun and not at your expense. :thumbsup: good luck with your lamping..

Get yourself a lamp & dog get some permission in writing from a farmer or land owner then go out on a dark windy night scan the field & you will see the red eyes of the rabbits walk up to them & slip your dog on the rabbit continue to do this & the dog will soon start to look down the beam of light from your lamp for rabbits.

Thanks! I'm obviously missing something here. Everything is whizzing above my head! Please forgive me I'll get up to speed with everyone soon!

Cheers

i'm in the same kinda boat as you Nubian - I've been out lamping a couple of times with friends - but they live 2 hours away so it's not a spontaneous thing :( .... my dogs both love it and i would like to find something a bit more regular, but i really don't want to go on my own.

nothing to do with not wanting to make all the mistakes in the book, and in my case, everything to do with not feeling safe to hang around in lonely places on dark nights......even with a dog with me, it's just something i can't do - So unless i meet someone local who's up for a novice lamping mate, i'm a bit stuck

Nubian said:
Pennymeadow Whippets said:

Thanks! I'm obviously missing something here. Everything is whizzing above my head! Please forgive me I'll get up to speed with everyone soon!

Cheers

Just follow pennmeadow whippets advice its as simple as that my friend, permission is a must.

keith

midlanderkeith said:
Nubian said:
Pennymeadow Whippets said:

Cheers

Just follow pennmeadow whippets advice its as simple as that my friend, permission is a must.

keith

Thanks Midlander! I'll always seek permission anyway before trespassing on anyone's land. I didn't realise it was something you could do without experience.
Urchin Thanks for the response. It's nice to see I'm not alone!

urchin said:
i'm in the same kinda boat as you Nubian - I've been out lamping a couple of times with friends - but they live 2 hours away so it's not a spontaneous thing  :(   .... my dogs both love it and i would like to find something a bit more regular, but i really don't want to go on my own.
nothing to do with not wanting to make all the mistakes in the book, and in my case, everything to do with not feeling safe to hang around in lonely places on dark nights......even with a dog with me, it's just something i can't do - So unless i meet someone local who's up for a novice lamping mate, i'm a bit stuck

sounds like you may be a bit scared of the dark.. just get yourself out mate, you will soon get the feel of sneeking about on bleak wet and windy nites. :thumbsup:

urchin said:
i'm in the same kinda boat as you Nubian - I've been out lamping a couple of times with friends - but they live 2 hours away so it's not a spontaneous thing  :(   .... my dogs both love it and i would like to find something a bit more regular, but i really don't want to go on my own.

Very wise charlie, its not safe out there in the middle of the night on your tod, you might bump into someone a bit shifty, LIKE ME :lol:

Keith hon, if you were in Birmingham i would be more than happy to lamp our collooney's together :)

The dark isn't the problem sparky, it's what might be in it! (w00t)

Seriously though, i think there's a bit of a gender difference here .... most blokes i know are more than happy to set off into the night on their own, most of us girls aren't.

i did say most, before any extra-hardy lamping females jump on me!

urchin said:
Keith hon, if you were in Birmingham i would be more than happy to lamp our collooney's together  :)
The dark isn't the problem sparky, it's what might be in it!  (w00t)

Seriously though, i think there's a bit of a gender difference here .... most blokes i know are more than happy to set off into the night on their own, most of us girls aren't.

Hi Urchin!

The dark is not a problem for me either! I'm black so as long as I don't smile nobody would ever see me! :D

Cheers

Nubian said:
Hi Urchin!
The dark is not a problem for me either! I'm black so as long as I don't smile nobody would ever see me! :D

Cheers

lol Nubian - that's one way of lookin at it! :lol:

Nubian said:
urchin said:
Keith hon, if you were in Birmingham i would be more than happy to lamp our collooney's together  :)

Hi Urchin!

Cheers

:lol: welcome to k9 :cheers:

keith

midlanderkeith said:
Nubian said:
urchin said:

Hi Urchin!

Cheers

keith

Thanks!
I fear this site is going to become seriously addictive!! :D

Nubian said:
midlanderkeith said:
Nubian said:
urchin said:

Hi Urchin!

Cheers

keith

Thanks!
I fear this site is going to become seriously addictive!! :D

You just get yourself a nice little doggy and enjoy

:cheers:

keith

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back