The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Which ideal dog would be best for me to adopt?

Crazy Dog Man

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I enjoy walking dogs but I can't walk too much due to orthopaedic issues with my legs.
Also I have asthma and all year round allergies.
And I live in a small flat.
I like dogs that are very protective, loyal and affectionate.
I also like them to be playful and enjoy cuddles.

Any suggestions? I'll also be adopting as I want to give an unfortunate dog a loving new home.

How far/long could you walk a dog for in a typical day? Are your allergies ever set off by dog hair - i.e. do you need to consider hypoallergenic breeds? And would you be prepared to adopt an older dog (whose exercise requirements will probably be lower)? It might be tricky finding a dog who doesn't need too much exercise but is also playful. I'm wondering if an older whippet might fit the bill.

I once knew an lady that could only walk a short distance she fell for a large rough coated lurcher in a local recue. She persuaded them to letting her take it. It was wonderful, their was a secure area near her, she walked the dog to it, (the lurcher was really good and did not pull her at all), once in it she let it off lead and sat on a bench while the dog enjoyed itself chasing sea gulls etc. Once it was tired it came back to her went back on the lead for a slow return walk home. So I would say think about where you live and is their a suitable place you can let it off lead while you stay in one spot hence reducing the walking you actually do.

Not all lurchers would be quite that accommodating - mine would stand like a lemon and whine, wanting a 'proper walk', because he doesn't run just for the sake of it and he's not interested in birds. But then that would be partly what he's come to expect.

I'm not saying that this wouldn't work for lurchers in general, just that it's very much down to the individual dog, particularly with cross-breeds. If you have a dog who likes playing with balls, that could help, though again, the high-speed twisting and turning involved can make this a bad idea for long-legged breeds.

I can walk upto at least 20 or 30 minutes.
I have an illness that affects my bones and muscles.
And yes, I'm looking for hypoallergenic dogs as it's the animal furr that triggers off my allergies.
I've seem to gotten used to Lady's presence but I think that's because her coat is quite short.

There's a list of hypoallergenic dog breeds here: Hypoallergenic Dog Breeds, Best Hypoallergenic Dog List Sadly it doesn't include greyhounds or whippets, so that's my 'go to' suggestion out of the window! It would definitely be worth looking at older dogs as they will need less walking. As you hope to adopt, it would be worth finding some good local rescues and meeting the dogs in person. Some rescues may be reluctant to let you have a dog because of your medical limitations and the fact you live in a small flat - what you really want is a rescue who will say 'No, you can't have this dog because they wouldn't be right for you, but this one could be a good fit.'

It might also be an idea to volunteer at the rescue to walk/play with the dogs. Then not only will you get to know the dogs, but the rescue staff will see just how committed you are to giving the right dog a great home.

Also, don't be worried about adopting a wonky dog! The rescue centre where we got our dog had a small but stocky dog with a deformed front leg that didn't seem to limit him. My wife thought he was adorable - and he was - but he went before we'd made any decisions. I guess what I'm trying to say is that perhaps wonky dogs aren't as adoptable as those without "wonkiness", maybe increasing your chances of adopting a dog. Just be sure you know everything you need to about any issues first, so there are no surprises later.

Also, don't be worried about adopting a wonky dog! The rescue centre where we got our dog had a small but stocky dog with a deformed front leg that didn't seem to limit him. My wife thought he was adorable - and he was - but he went before we'd made any decisions. I guess what I'm trying to say is that perhaps wonky dogs aren't as adoptable as those without "wonkiness", maybe increasing your chances of adopting a dog. Just be sure you know everything you need to about any issues first, so there are no surprises later.

I'll love the dog whatever condition it's in.
As long as I can breathe okay whilst walking or petting him/her that's all that matters.

My friend back in my hometown had a cat that was suitable for asthmatics and it was a rescue, he had a leg missing due to infection because of the state he was left in and so he had to have his leg amputated whilst at the RSPCA centre.
Some of his ear was missing as well but he was so affectionate and I enjoyed petting him that I didn't even noticed his missing leg or damaged ear.
He was lovely.

I consider animals as people too. I have no judgement upon their looks/appearances.

Try some local dog shelters, or oldies dog charity website because most wont need too much exercise! you could also use ' @BorrowMyDoggy ' for walking the dogs

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back