The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippet Advice

sarah j

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
HI. I have just got a new whippet pup, he arrives with me in 1 week. I just need advice on jabs etc. I currently have a 6yr old Lurcher bitch, and am just wondering if I should really have the pup vaccinated before or not, then the frequency of jabs. I have been told so many different ages to get pups vacc'd, and wether or not they should be done before introductions to other dogs. any help/advice please. :wacko:

Hi Sarah there are a lot of different views on jabs, I myself get mine vaccinated and boostered every year, but others do differentley its down to personal choice really :)

Is your lurcher vaccinated originally, if so your puppy will be fine around her :)

My advice would be though to definatley get first jabs and keep your puppy off the floor in areas where lts of dogs ect go, try to limit to your own garden until a week or so after second jab :thumbsup:

Good luck for your new arrival :luck: :D

Congratulations :cheers: not long til you get your new puppy whippet :huggles: I have an 8 year old whippet, he has his yearly jabs, I got bailey at around 11 weeks, had his first jab, two weeks later his second jab, waited around 10 days and now walking everywhere and meeting new dogs :D

I am sure you will be fine, just make sure if he meets other dogs they have had their jabs and are not in public places until he has had all his jabs :thumbsup: Your vet will give you good advice too :thumbsup:

Have fun and enjoy your new pup - look forward to seeing the pics :wub:

sarah j said:
HI. I have just got a new whippet pup, he arrives with me in 1 week. I just need advice on jabs etc. I currently have a 6yr old Lurcher bitch, and am just wondering if I should really have the pup vaccinated before or not, then the frequency of jabs. I have been told so many different ages to get pups vacc'd, and wether or not they should be done before introductions to other dogs. any help/advice please.  :wacko:
Hi! Welcome to K9. Hope you post pics of your new puppy and your lurcher :huggles:

Have you had a look in the FAQ forum here? There's lots of info and old threads where people have asked questions and got advice on things like vacs, pet insurance, feeding, housetraining, collars, crates... just about everything! It's probably worth having a browse :thumbsup:

Here's the link: FAQ Forum

Well I have now had Jack for 1 week. :wub: My vet has said they won't give his 1st jab till he is 10 weeks, so he is booked in for next week. I am finding that he is a really cheeky fellow. Likes to sleep a lot during the day after his play times, but I think he expects this at bed time as well. He will sleep for about 2 hours, then start to 'squeek' and claw the bed to come up at about 2-3 in the morning. I don't think I have had any sleep beyond 6am. -_- Has anybody any advice on this or is it just normal initially? He has also found a spot on my carpet he likes to chew, :oops: even though he has countless/various toys? any advice on chewing would be great also. I have probs posting pics as I don't have a personal computer, only have my works computer.

Cheers for previous advice :cheers:

Sarah

Izzy chewed a door frame!! I got some good spray from pet shop that stopped her, I think it works like the stuff you put on kids nails to stop them chewing, doesn't taste good!

Hi,

When I got Albus three years ago I already had one whippet. Albus came to me at eight weeks he was vacinated the day after I picked him up and again two weeks later at ten weeks. He was allowed out two weeks after that. He as his booster each August.

Just a reminder if you plan on training classes, showing etc don't forget the kennel cough vacination. I believe this as changed recently and now lasts 12 months instead of 6 but I would check on that as I am not entirely sure. :D

sarah j said:
Well I have now had Jack for 1 week.  :wub: My vet has said they won't give his 1st jab till he is 10 weeks, so he is booked in for next week. I am finding that he is a really cheeky fellow. Likes to sleep a lot during the day after his play times, but I think he expects this at bed time as well. He will sleep for about 2 hours, then start to 'squeek' and claw the bed to come up at about 2-3 in the morning. I don't think I have had any sleep beyond 6am.  -_-   Has anybody any advice on this or is it just normal initially? He has also found a spot on my carpet he likes to chew,  :oops: even though he has countless/various toys? any advice on chewing would be great also.  I have probs posting pics as I don't have a personal computer, only have my works computer.  Cheers for previous advice  :cheers:

Sarah

Sorry I have only just seen this post. Glad all is going well. Would love to see some photos. :)

Welcome to K9 and good luck with your little whippet. :luck:

I have my dogs vacinated and boostered too...but some people have very different views on it, but my latest pup was vacinated at 8 and 12 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
sarah j said:
Well I have now had Jack for 1 week.  :wub: My vet has said they won't give his 1st jab till he is 10 weeks, so he is booked in for next week. I am finding that he is a really cheeky fellow. Likes to sleep a lot during the day after his play times, but I think he expects this at bed time as well. He will sleep for about 2 hours, then start to 'squeek' and claw the bed to come up at about 2-3 in the morning. I don't think I have had any sleep beyond 6am.  -_-   Has anybody any advice on this or is it just normal initially? He has also found a spot on my carpet he likes to chew,  :oops: even though he has countless/various toys? any advice on chewing would be great also.  I have probs posting pics as I don't have a personal computer, only have my works computer.  Cheers for previous advice  :cheers:

Sarah

Lots of advice here about night times :thumbsup: New pup - no sleep? Help! etc

toys crates and collars

worming fleas and vaccinations

food choices!

I couldn't find you anything specific about chewing, but I did find some housetraining info, and car sickness!

house training

car sickness

Good luck :luck:

Thanks for all the advice and tips. :cheers: Have read through all the links and found some sound advice there. Got some anti chew spray, that seemed to work on that carpet spot but the little bugger decided to try somewhere else, so think I will need to buy a crate of the stuff. Bed time seems to be getting easier, only because I gave in and now let him share the bed with me OH and Polly, my lurcher. She wasn't so keen at first, but is getting used to the idea so long as Jack stays at the top, she'll hug the bottom of the bed. Just looking into some where to run him when he is a little older. Got 2 local parks near me, but wouldn't trust letting him off lead as there are a lot of dog walkers and squirrels and he might just decide to give chase. Does anyone know of any safe places to run whippies in the Blackburn/ Lancashire area? Again any help much appriciated.

Sarah

:cheers: :cheers:

Heather's Harry won the final today!!!

:thumbsup: :D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back