The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippet Diet

lisa34

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi can any one help me. I have 2 whippets, joe is 2 years old and molly is 7 months.

they had been eating tinned dog food, but recently we changed there diet to raw chicken wings and raw lambs mince.

They have a wing once a day and raw mince as a main meal 800g split between two.

the problem is they still seem to be hungary as they have turned there noses up at tinned food.

what can I give them. HELP :wacko:

That is not an awful lot of food especially for a 7 month old pup, which might explain why they are hungry! ;)

One chicken wing as a meal substitute is nowhere near enough - 3 large wings per dog is more like it.

Do you give a wholmeal mixer with the meat too?

You could also try tripe, raw meaty bones, sardines, as well as eggs, a little veg, cottage cheese etc for some variety.

Good on you for getting them off the tinned stuff :thumbsup:

Mine have three wings each!!!!!! The greyhound has four, plus green tripe, lamb ribs, eggs, Burgess greyhound maintenance, just a small amount, good quality pet mince, rabbit when the butcher has some! Plus veg, carrot, cabbage, spinach, spring greens, you name it they will eat it. Just chop it up or put it in a food processor and blitz.

A young dog needs more as it is still maturing and filling out.

Good luck :cheers:

That is not an awful lot of food especially for a 7 month old pup, which might explain why they are hungry! ;)
One chicken wing as a meal substitute is nowhere near enough - 3 large wings per dog is more like it.

You could also try tripe, raw meaty bones, sardines, as well as eggs, a little veg, cottage cheese etc for some variety.

Hi Rachel, many thanks for your help, I will try as you surgest! as u can tell im new to the raw diet so I need all the help I can get.

Thankyou once again lisax

Mine have three wings each!!!!!! The greyhound has four, plus green tripe, lamb ribs, eggs, Burgess greyhound maintenance, just a small amount, good quality pet mince, rabbit when the butcher has some! Plus veg, carrot, cabbage, spinach, spring greens, you name it they will eat it. Just chop it up or put it in a food processor and blitz.A young dog needs more as it is still maturing and filling out.

Good luck :cheers:
Hi Bertha, thankyou for yor advise its helped me alot.

many thanks lisa, joe and molliex :teehee:

Hiya and happy new year, i am all for the raw meat diet, plus shredded raw veg, but i think that your pup needs a bit more than meat as she is still growing, i would give her for one meal a complete puppy food as she still needs a lot of calcium, one wing isn't enough

for a growing pup, or if you don't like complete feeds add some suppliment to their diet their are many to choose from, glad to see that you have taken them off tinned food, and good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lisa,

Mine have all had wings and raw lamb mince from pups, with either chopped lamb heart or liver (I also add Burns complete food

if I feel they need that bit extra, but they leave it in the bowl so now I throw it on the floor as a treat, keeps them amused too!!)

I feed Wafcol Bonemeal (available from good pet stores or on the internet) which

makes sure they get the calcium intake they need and can be added to the raw mince :thumbsup:

Weetabix with goats milk makes a good breakfast and mine also get meaty bones from the butcher

every so often.

If I feel they need a bit more, I will add green tripe to the mince. You can buy this frozen from the pet shop.

The general rule of thumb is to feed 2% of adult weight or expected adult weight, split over 3 meals a day, but like humans,

all dogs differ and some will need more than others. It's just a question of adding and taking away as necessary :thumbsup:

You'll soon find out what suits Mollie & Joe :thumbsup:

PS ......... mine are always hungry too, but if I gave them more they would be obese (w00t) - they are already "well covered"

enough without getting any bigger :oops:

I might add that our litter of whippet pups were weaned on to raw and Diego who we kept has never been fed anything else. He looks fantastic for it and you shouldn't need to be feeding a complete as well if you are getting the raw diet right.

There are several really useful topics on the subject on www.thewhippetforum.com in the the health section. :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back