The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippet Pulling

nbirse

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

Im hoping someone can help me.. I have a beautiful 7 month old whippet but unfortunatly she continues to pull on the lead. I have tried everything but she just seems so stubbon..... So i am hoping somone can offer some excellent advise or if anyone else has had the same problem or going though the same as me..??

Thanks

Neil

have you thought of using a clicker?

i did a lot of work with one of my dogs (for doggie dancing!) using one and she trained so quickly with one.

once you get the hang of using one they are an effective aid.

i have realised also when training a dog to walk to heal that a lot of people say "heal" to their dog but when the dog is ahead of you and while it is pulling, so saying it at that point only reinforces what they are doing - when you place your dog by your side - gently and not yanking it by the collar and lead - say Heal and click with your clicker then give a really yummy treat - i use liver cake which most dogs die for!

if you do this in a small area to start with - walk a little way, turn and walk back using the command heal and click your clicker and treat immediately then your dog does learn that doing what is asked gets a reward and will do it after a while with no treat.

hope you find this helpful........it worked for me

:thumbsup:

Thankyou for writing to me so quickly.. :D I will give the clicker a go. I have seen them but was not sure if i could use it correctly. I will use your advice, see how it goes and keep you updated, any other tips then please let me know.

Thanks Neil

hi

your welcome - i was all fingers and thumbs when i first started training my mollie but when it clicks into place :b its fab - and it does.

if you need more help dont hesitate to ask - i was trained by one of the top heel work to music trainers and if i can learn anyone can!!!

remember to make your training sessions short and sweet - about ten to fifteen minutes at a time - and dont expect miracles to happen all in one day - lots and lots of praise and treats is the key them learning - dont scold any bad behaviour - ignore it and praise the tiniest of good.

i look forward to hearing how you get on

:thumbsup:

hi there

both of mine are pullers - but what worked to put a stop to it was very different.

with digit what i did was, whatever direction he pulled in, I turned round and walked in the opposite direction. After a while he learned that pulling got him the absolute opposite of what he wanted and (along with other 'pack leader' stuff I was doing) he accepted that I was boss and I decide which way we go

I tried exactly the same with Bloggs and after weeks and weeks of hard work - I had made no difference whatsoever! So I bought him a Halti head collar and now he can't pull. :D

Some people are very critical of these because if you use one, you've pretty much got to keep using it.

BUT

In the end you have to do what's right for you....I'd worked very hard with Bloggs and hadn't managed to stop him pulling - and anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm not the kind of girl to try something for 5 minutes then give up - and truth be told walks were no fun at all because he was hurting me. So, on balance, taking a very small head collar with me when we're off for a walk really isn't any great hardship.

Am sure you'll get all kinds of useful advice here - some will work for YOUR dog, others won't. Try them out and see what suits....but give each enough time for your dog to learn whats going on - a day of clicker then a day of about turns etc is gonna be confusing!

Good luck and let us know how you get on :luck:

Having watched copuious doggy programmes on sky, they tend to suggest the abrupt change of direction when your dog pulls, also there is one guy who uses a lead tied round his waist and doesnt actually hold the lead at all...........he recommends you use it in the house for a couple of hours a day and insist that whereever you go, your dog goes with you too. It looks like it works pretty quickly and looks like the dogs get so used to following your every move that they quite quickly even follow the owners when they are not 'tied' to them!

Luckily I never had any issues with my old retriever pulling and even my kids could hold him when they were still in a buggy but I am getting a new puppy in Feb and will try those methods with him if need be :b

Bluebell only pulled in certain places - I just stopped everytime she pulled and she soon learnt - The only thing I hasten to add that she has learnt quickly :lol:

Can we have a picture please...

I am reading this post with interest as I have had the same problem with Merlin who is now 19 months, I have never succeeded in stopping him from pulling on the lead despite trying hard. I took him to training classes and even had a trainer come to the house - in between I would practise each day and although he could and would walk to heal when I had food, once the food had gone forget it, he was pulling my arm out the socket again!

I tried walking to heal with and without a clicker, I tried stopping and not letting him walk on if he pulled, I tried turning around and walking in the opposite direction all to no avail - eventually I ended up with such a badly strained shoulder that I had to get a harness which made life a lot easier and I have stuck with it ever since - he still pulls but the harness means he is much easier to control and I don't have to worry about him choking himself and it's a lot easier on my shoulder.

I will watch this thread for new tips!

Its more difficult for me walking three now....and two of mine really pull....I was thinking of trying out a halti or a gentle leader.

I see some of you have used them with success...its good to know. :thumbsup: Id be interested in learning more too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sparky is a bit of a puller, I stop and he comes back to my side as if to say ooops. I'm not supposed to pull am I, then he dives off to the next tree, lampost, wall corner etc. Most of the time he is steady though, and does know that when I stop it's because he is pulling, and he is much better than he was. Dylan just trots on beautifully, I try and walk them both on the same side in the hope that Dylan's calmness will rub off on Sparky. :thumbsup:

Jenny

Janimal said:
Its more difficult for me walking three now....and two of mine really pull....I was thinking of trying out a halti or a gentle leader.
I see some of you have used them with success...its good to know. :thumbsup: Id be interested in learning more too.

I am not a fan of Haltis as they tighten around the muzzle but I have a couple of these

Gencon headcollars

and they are BRILLIANT. It is like a figure 8 and tightens around the neck, like a slip lead. All my dogs have accepted them with no fighting/struggling and I find I don't have to use them all the time. They seem to have a very calming influence as well because I just put in on Bertha to do her nails and she stands like a lamb.

I'm watching this with interest as my girls both pull in competition with each other :(

Jinny is OK on her own and Ella is better on her own.

I think I've got to try and find the time to take them out individually to train them properly (w00t) and I've got a feeling that Ella will always be rather forward going :- " :wacko:

quintessence said:
Sparky is a bit of a puller, I  stop and he comes back to my side as if to say ooops. I'm not supposed to pull am I, then he dives off to the next tree, lampost, wall corner etc.  Most of the time he is steady though, and does know that when I stop it's because he is pulling, and he is much better than he was.  Dylan just trots on beautifully,  I try and walk them both on the same side in the hope that Dylan's calmness will rub off on Sparky.  :thumbsup:
Jenny

it sounds like ive been lucky my whippet has walked well on a lead more or less hanging on my leg good luck with yours :luck:

i have to pullers ollie and tia, ollie is the worst and as janis says its really hard work when youve got 3 to walk especialy on your own ,im luck that my 3 dont have to stay on a lead for long only to get outa the car and away from any road then they free run rest of the walk ,so i will also watch this thread with interest ,forgot to add that i tryed one of those halty things and ollie went balistic youd have thought i was trying to kill him he even chucked himeslf to the floor and was rolling around trying to get it off it stressed him out so much i never put it on him again :(

one of mine pulled on the lead and i got a bad shoulder, i used a halti for a couple of weeks and once the pulling habit stopped we are back to the collar. The only time they pull now is when we are getting near to the park.

Thanks to everyone who has read this thread and offered advise. I will try the different techniques and hopefully sky will begin to walk excellently.... :D

Thanks neil

:) I had a halti because Ozzy pulls (wants to run everywhere :- " ) I was worried the plastic clip would break so I bought a dogmatic headcollar. Looks like a horses bridle and fastens with a buckle so I feel is more secure. Works like a dream :D :thumbsup:

I used a Halti on an English Setter once and he lead down flat out in the middle of the road :oops:

Had to hastily remove the thing to make him stand up again and get of the road :lol:

Hi..it seems a common problem. I use a wheelchair and have had probs in the past. I have found using a good harness makes them more body aware and easier to control. I usually just stop and pause a for a moment and wait for them to calm down. Then move off and if they continue I stop again..which may sound laborious but the do get the message...ie the walk does not continue if there is pulling . Have you heard of Ceasar Milan? hes a great behaviourist/communicator and he believes that you have to have your dog in a calm state before you go out the door..and to not let them walk infront of you. He feels a calm but assertive attitude is cruical to how your dog will behave on a walk. If you behave calmly they usually will be too. He suggests a gentle tug on the lead towards you if they pull combined with a sort of ssshhh sound. If they do not respond to this the gently press your finger on the neck area as this should disrupt the pulling and stops them getting into a higher state of excitement. You can also bring your outer foot up behind you and tap them with your toe on their flank..again disrupting the behaviour. It may sound odd stuff but we have used his methods with great success. You have to be consistant and calm but its not long before they get the idea. I can now walk mine past all sorts of distractions, other dogs etc and its all very calm and relaxed.

I think training classes are usefull but you dont get the same distractions/smells etc as you do on a walk. Hope this is of use?

Em and Willow

whippetlove said:
Hi..it seems a common problem. I use a wheelchair and have had probs in the past. I have found using a good harness makes them more body aware and easier to control. I usually just stop and pause a for a moment and wait for them to calm down. Then move off and if they continue I stop again..which may sound laborious but the do get the message...ie the walk does not continue if there is pulling . Have you heard of Ceasar Milan? hes a great behaviourist/communicator and he believes that you have to have your dog in  a calm state before you go out the door..and to not let them walk infront of you. He feels a calm but assertive attitude is cruical to how your dog will behave on a walk. If you behave calmly they usually will be too. He suggests a gentle tug on the lead towards you if they pull combined with a sort of ssshhh sound. If they do not respond to this the gently press your finger on the neck area as this should disrupt the pulling and stops them getting into a higher state of excitement. You can also bring your outer foot up behind you and tap them with your toe on their flank..again disrupting the behaviour. It may sound odd stuff but we have used his methods with great success.  You have to be consistant and calm but its not long before they get the idea. I can now walk mine past all sorts of distractions, other dogs etc and its all very calm and relaxed. I think training classes are usefull but you dont get the same distractions/smells etc as you do on a walk. Hope this is of use?

Em and Willow

:) I've been using Ceasar Milan's methods with my two. It has been very productive as neither of them will show any interest in our food when we're eating and they also ignore the cats, having been reprimanded 'pack leader' style with a nudge and an appropriate disapproving noise ie a sssssshhh :thumbsup:

It also help when they are getting too rough when they play :wacko:

I am going to start the lead training but will be doing it with them individually until they get the message, otherwise it's just too much excitement :blink:

Hopefully it's just a matter of time and patience :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back