The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippet Sleeping Arrangements!

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My greyhounds have always slept downstairs because they don't "do" stairs! :rolleyes: Freddie is in the dining room and Claire is in the lounge. This stops them squabbling over settees! :lol: The whippets used to sleep with me but I got fed up of hanging on to the edge of the bed for dear life! (w00t) Plus I hurt my knee fighting with them for the duvet! :- " They all now sleep downstairs in crates. Albie & Logan share the big crate and Niamh has hers on top of theirs. They took to the changes amazingly well. :)

My 4 Whippets & Georgia (IG) sleep in my bed :huggles:

Amber sleeps in a furry dog bed by choice. I also have a soft sided cage & another dog bed in the bedroom just in case any of them get too hot :- "

It works fine particlul;arly as my OH works away from home alot. ;)

~JO~ said:
My 2 will NOT sleep together at night  :blink: Archie likes his own space and Stanley will just not settle unless he is his cage  :huggles: .
So Archie has a raised bed with his snuggle bed on it and Stan has his cage with his snuggle bed in it... They also sleep in the spare room, which seems to be 'Stan & Archies room'  (w00t) as Archie is such an anti-social git half the time he spends most of his evening up there on his own (Kevin the teenage springs to mind  :lol: )

I'd love to get Stan out of his cage, tried weaning him off it so many times - but he just starts to shake and whine  :wacko: So I guess if he likes it he might as well have it!

So really just wondering what everyone elses doggie sleeping arrangements are?  What about those of you who have lots of whippets - do they each have their own bed or are they happy to sleep in together?

Albus sleeps in my bed and has done since he was eight weeks old. Beau sleeps in his whippet warmer at my side of the bed as he get quite restless during the night and moves around a lot. He comes in for a cuddle at 6am fifteen minutes before the alarm goes off. I have never known a dog that has such a good sense of time before.

I used to leave my bedroom door open at night,but eventually got fed up with whippets getting in & out of bed during the night,& Murph would literally kick me out of bed (w00t)

So now I just have Flyn & Chrissy with me.

Chrissy 95% of the time stays in her snuggly all night,though just once or twice i've awoken to find her tucked up with me.

Flyn starts off at the bottom of the bed,but will eventually get in & snuggle up with me.But he's so careful getting in & out of bed,it's very rarely he disturbs me!

Sometimes Bailey decides he needs to come to bed with me(he yells at the door),but i put him in a cage in the bedroom,once i didn't & i was kicked about all night,what a fidget (w00t)

Poppy & Murph usually cuddle up together under the throw over on the settee :D ,& dear Izzy used to sleep wherever she chose,which was usually under a duvet on the chair.She never wanted to come upstairs.

As you can see my lot don,t like to share :lol: Joking, you would think i only had one dog bed in the house :- "

117_1779.jpg

3 Whippets in a crate in the utility. Holly wouldn't mind sleeping on her own but the two Stormbursts like to have company! :huggles:

Chloe sleeps in a bed in the dining room under the table. :)

We used to have them ALL in bed with us, but it was at the point where we got no sleep and we were tired and grumpy with bad backs the next day.....so now only Holly and Vader come to bed with us and the rest have the run of the house. Supe always goes in his cage (door not locked) and he usually sleeps in there during the day too, he loves it. Star used to scratch and whine at our bedroom door till we gave in and let her in (yes I know we should have just ignored her....) however since the snuggle bed arrived she sleeps there all night and only wakes us up when she wants to be out in the garden for a wee, some mornings she's slept in till almost 7am. Mind you the first few snuggle bed nights I wondered where she was and I was up checking she was OK anyway :b :lol: Tie sleeps on the sofa in the lounge and Leia has the spare double bed to herself. (The 'dogs' bedroom :teehee: ) None of them snuggle up together all night, although if we are on the sofa in the evening there are always 3 whippets there with us :huggles:

When Star gets us up in the morning we all go back to bed for a cuddle anyway if we can :huggles:

all of us in bed together, with ample sheepskins and rudolph skins. Whippet under the duvet lurchery gundog types on top. OH in there somewhere but could be lying a we never seem to meet up once the pack arrive. Cat banned from bedroom, too many micey gifts, YITCH!

My three sleep under the duvet with me but now that Jed has started having epiletic fits wish they slept apart as suddenly without warning Jed will have a fit and we are all asleep and its like a bomb has dropped on us, legs, arms and dogs jumping about barking. Not a nice way to be woken from a deep sleep.

Badger sleeps by my feet under the duvet,Woody sleeps on a pile of cushions next to the bed as does Zoe.

Bryn sleeps under duvet by OH feet and Parker lays like a beached whale in the centre of the bed pinning down the covers so nobody can move (w00t)

jezza said:
Janimal said:
GailK said:
Janimal said:
Mine have a sofa bed downstairs Jo, and they usually sleep together. :huggles:    There is also a duvet dog bed on the floor in one corner.....and sometimes Kobi can be found here on some mornings, so they do like their own space sometimes too. :)   :lol:    Like Archie - Oscar sometimes retreats to the sofa bed on his own during the daytime.
Its funny because they sometimes share a bed in the living room too,  then one will decide to get up and try the other bed out,  or maybe  the sofa, or my bed  :- " :lol:

I have four whippets & they all sleep in bed with me - that's where whippets are supposed to sleep or so my lot tell me! I am allowed a small, thin space right on the very edge. I used to have a double bed but it got too small for all of us so I had to buy a queen size. Now I'm wondering how much a king size might be!

Gail

:lol: :lol:

Gail I tried the bed thing when hubby was away once........ never again :lol: - the dogs were up and down, in and out, pant pant ...... and I never slept a wink. :blink: (w00t)

Yes I tried the bed thing once while John was on nights. Unfortunately I chose the night when, unbeknown to me, Lenny had a poorly tummy. I woke up to hear him whining at the door so I got up to let him out only to stand in a big pile of diarrhoea :x poor little man look ever so sorry, I think he must've been whining but I never heard him until it was too late :( NEVER AGAIN!!!

So now they sleep together in their cage in the kitchen. In fact, another disgusting story - they used to sleep in the cage in the spare bedroom until the night when Lenny had the squits again. I spent a lot of time cleaning liquid pooh off the bedding, my new cream carpet and Molly!!! She must've got in the way of him :(

They come to bed right from the get go when they arrive here as puppies & all they've been used to is a nest with their siblings. I never hear a peep out of them all night. As new puppies arrive they just snuggle in with everyone else & now we all fit together like a jigsaw. No-one cries through the night, no-one wets the bed & very often the beggars won't get up for a wee on a cold morning, I have to pull the doona off them & hustle them outside. Once done, they all gallop back in again & dive under the doona until I've had a shower & prepared their breakfast. They keep me snug & warm at night but I do have to change the sheets a lot only because I'm fussy not because they make a mess.

Gail.

There was a time when we had 2 Great Danes, 2 Borzois, 2 children, Iggy and assortment of cats sleeping with us. We did have king size bed with single bed by out feet, though :)

Nowadays my back is just too bad to share with anybody. So it is just me and Coco (the cat) in my king size bed. The dogs have the run of the house, they have a single bed with heaps of duvets and sleeping bags to burrow under, they also have several dog beds or the sofa.

When i was taking Solange to the airport i stayed the night before at my daughters' and foolishly let all 4 Whippets to sleep with me in a single bed. My back is still recovering :b

We have two huge crates and Callie and Sienna sleep in one, Kane and Spry in the other, when I say bed time they all go to their own bed then then lay down and wait until I cover them over with their quilts, they like to be covered totally and just resembled lumps in the crates.

When Andy gets up at 5.30 for work they don't even get up for a wee they wait until I get up and hour later -_- and even then sometimes I have to force them to go out before I go to work, lazy whips o:)

All the Whippets are in two huge crates in our bedroom,one for the dogs and one for the bitches,the Basenji is in a smaller crate on his own on top of the dogs.

Molly the Toy Poodle and Turner the Min are in a crate in the snug and Evan another Min is in the kitchen on his own (his choice..he likes his own company!) though he has a choice of either a crate with a big duvet in it or his own soft bed.

all mine (6 whippets, a lab and 2 cats) sleep in the sitting roon thats off the kitchen, they have two sofas and 4 big dog beds, they all sleep together really well and i never hear a peep out of them, willow is my oldest and was my first whippet always slept up stairs, then when i had bethany i think she got so fed up at being woken up every 3 hours that she stayed with the others downstars, i must admit i was a bit upset by this and carried her up to bed but she just use to leg it straight back down and she's never asked to come up again!

My boys have always slept together.

When Reggie got ill, he slept in a bed next to our bed, especially in the summer months when he couldn't regulate his temperature properly. In theory, this is where he still sleeps, but, like most whippets, he's in and out from under our duvet through the night!

The other 3 sleep in their custom made bed! (We made it for them from our old bed when we got our new one) Not that they're spoiled or anything! ;)

Louise

whippet_bed_001.jpg

louisetope said:
My boys have always slept together. 
When Reggie got ill, he slept in a bed next to our bed, especially in the summer months when he couldn't regulate his temperature properly.  In theory, this is where he still sleeps, but, like most whippets, he's in and out from under our duvet through the night!

The other 3 sleep in their custom made bed!  (We made it for them from our old bed when we got our new one)  Not that they're spoiled or anything!  ;)

Louise

I guess i'm the odd one out, :eek: as my little Misty sleeps in a bed, not raised, no duvet, in the kitchen, with the door firmly shut!!

She'll be 12 months old in March and it took me 4 months to get to stop waking me in the night with her crying and howling.....many a night i would fall asleep on the rug in the hallway, having been telling her to stop crying and go to sleep. Now when i say 'bed time' she get of the sofa goes for a wee and goes straight to bed....if only she was that good when i let her off her lead!

This is the first time i have posted, i have been reading k9 since i got my whippet puppy, never had the nerve to post anything, :b so i hope i've done this right.

I'll post a picture of my whippy when i figure out how to do it :unsure:

Alfie is in his basket in the kitchen from about 6pm onwards, he doesn't officially get out of his basket until about half 9/10 the following morning! And he wouldn't go out to wee at all if we didn't force him to! (w00t)

Muffin & Jonah both sleep in bed with us. They like to get under the duvet but Muffin's panting usually wakes me up in the middle of the night and I have to push and shake him to make him move out and get some air!! :blink: Jonah is really funny, because when he gets hot he just slides out of bed from where he is or falls out with a big thud! (w00t) Then he lays sprawled out on the floor where he landed. He's the first whippet we've had who will sleep anywhere! I must admit I would quite like to banish them downstairs but at the moment Muffin is still a little bit jealous of Jonah so it might not be a good idea to do it just yet! One day ..... :- "

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back