The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippets sleeping in bed

robena

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I was wondering if most Whippet owners had their Whippets sleeping in bed with them or not. It seems that the majority of those I've spoken with do. We have a 10 week old puppy and she has been sleeping with us fine. We make sure she has gone out before she goes to bed and then first thing in the morning we take her out before she gets on the floor. She sleeps through the night without a problem.

This is our second Whippet (the first one passed about 8 years ago). Our first one used to sleep under the covers with us, so we automatically did the same with our new puppy. We do crate her when we can't keep an eye on her or if we need to go out for a short period of time.

I love reading everyone's posts about their mischievous Whippets! I am glad I found this board as I begin the Whippet puppy training process. I know that a well-trained dog is a happy dog and I look forward to the many pointers from the many Whippet owners here! :- )

View attachment 2054

robena said:
I was wondering if most Whippet owners had their Whippets sleeping in bed with them or not. 
Hallo - what a sweet pic.

Of course they sleep in bed - I wasn't aware there was an option ! !

Matching eyes & collar lol bless

Gorgeous pup, you just couldnt refuse the duvet could you?

I crated my Dinky at night it stopped all the accidents. when she had been in the crate for about 6months I used to leave crate door open so she would please herself. now she just sleeps at the end of my bed!!!

Hello Robena & welcome to the group - I only joined a couple of months ago & have had some good advice & lots of laughs, already.

Your pup is gorgeous - what's her name?

My whippets sleep in their own comfy beds, in the kitchen; I'd like them to sleep with us, but that would be pushing my luck. :unsure:

Anyway, when I do take Harry to bed, he spends most of the time getting out to cool off & then wandering around the bed waiting for me to lift up the duvet so he can jump back in again - not exactly restful. :wacko:

Jackie

sometimes if its freezing down stairs i move his bascket next to the bed but i wouldnt have him sleeping in my bed , &deff not when he was a puppy

Welcome to K9

My whippet used to sleep in bed we me and OH but when we got 3 there wasn`t too much room left :eek: and they would be `in and `out` all night , not good for a restful night as jackieT said . or when they are in season :b

When we got 4 my other half left me ! :oops: so be warned :eek: The 7 :eek: now have a lovely warm kennel with double glazing and a radiator in . Actually only 5 sleep down there as Mayzee ( my first born!!) and Fleur ((howler at night ) sleep on the landing.

Mayzee and Fleur do sleep in bed with me when O H 2 has a night away!!! :cheers: o:)

Gorgeous pup. Lokking forward to hearing more details (name, age etc) and I also love the matching collar and eyes!!

Polly sleeps in my bed, but starts off in her own bed beside mine, then waits until I'm asleep before she gets in. If she gets too hot, she hops back into her own bed for a bit and then nuzzles me to lift the duvet so she can come in again (even though she is perfectly capable of doing this herself.

Now I also have a foster whippet (who looks like becoming permanent ;) ) and when she sees Polly hop in, often jumps in too.

I sometimes give up and go to the spare room and leave them to it -_- Two whippets (one is a whioppet) and a human in a 3' bed is a bit much :unsure: :unsure:

Good luck with your pup. You'll get plenty of support and advise on the board

We did our bedroom up last year & the dogs have been banned from there since. Although i do turn away & pretend i haven't seen them sneak upstairs sometimes :D In saying that Ella's up there now sprawled out full length.

Ours sleep with us at night, and lounge on the bed during the day too. I am always washing the bedding :b

We have never had any seperation problems by doing this.

My only complaint is that Star snores :clown: I try to push her to the bottom of the bed but when she realises her nose is not in my ear for the full effect, she wriggles back up again... (w00t) o:)

Thanks for the welcome! My Whippet's name is Annie. She is 10 weeks old -- whelped on 1/08/04. She is very sweet, curious (snooping around constantly!), bright, and active! It sounds like there's an array of ways the Whippets sleep. I guess it depends on the owner as well as on the Whippet. We have a king-size bed, so there is plenty of room for her. My Annie sleeps all night and doesn't nudge to get under the covers or not. She seems to prefer to sleep on the pillow with little covers. She likes to sleep near my face for some reason.

I'm also trying to keep on top of her constantly and staying attuned to her body language to see if she needs to "go potty." She is doing well with it, although she is still young. I hear after 3 months they are more easily trainable. My vet said to hang bells on the door knob and to jingle them on the way out and say "out." He said she will then learn to jingle them herself to signal us that she needs to go out. I put the bells up this morning and have started this method. Have any of you heard of this or use it yourselves?

Annie is a 24 hour job, like having a baby! Everyone in the family is taking care of her and trying to help with her training. She seems to be adjusting very well to us -- we have had her since March 15. Thanks for any advice. :)

View attachment 2055

I just love those dark eyes !! :wub:

Where in the world are you Robena ? :huggles:

Hello there, Jax!

I'm in Connecticut, USA. Sounds like most of you are in the UK or down under. Yes? Are there many people from the States on this Whippet message board?

robena :D

Hi Robena, :wub: Annie is just so cute :wub: Yes i'm another who's dogs sleep on or in the bed -_- ,Trouble is,i don't get a very good sleep (w00t) !!

Hi Robena, Welcome to K9 - Annie looks very angelic!!

Most of us are from the UK, just thought I would let you know there is a board called Whippet World, if you do a search it should come up and most of the members are from the US and they are very welcoming to all new members.

Good luck with your gorgeous girl :D

Wow! What a gorgeous picture! :wub:

My dogs sleep downstairs as a) I have 4 cats who don't like dogs and b) I have very steep shallow stairs that the greyhounds would probably break their legs on. The cats are allowed in my room at night though, and sometimes they can be very noisy! o:)

We've had whippets in the bed for 14 years now! Currently, only the youngest (16 mos) sleeps with us - trades off between us and the two kids. The kids are already fighting over where the new puppy in June will sleep! :D

Your Annie is beautiful - she can sleep wherever she wants!

Bruce

All my whippets sleep in bed with us. :huggles:

Annie is very pretty - can you tell us more about her? Is she pedigreed? From which lines? Are you planning to show, course, race her?

Rocks, my whippet sleeps in the bed,

Hi Robena, So far this group is great :) , I have just recently joined also and just started posting today, as when I joint the site just kept freezing on me but have now solve the problem (w00t) and glad to be here. :huggles:

The gang have always slept on our bed..........Chris told me that we couldn't have another Whippet as we didn't have enough room left on the bed :eek: .........(So i brought a new bed ;) )

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back