The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippets sleeping in bed

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Well all of ours sleep on or in the bed.Sometimes it is a bit of a squash, 6 whippy's and a M.T.,oh and John of course.Although he is quite welcome to go and sleep in the shed (w00t) .

Personally, I think pups sleep better, and get through the night with out needing a wee/poo if they are in your bed with you.Also, they keep you warm,so save on your heating bills,nurse you if you're feeling unwell,make excellent pillows etc.

For those of you, finding your bed isn't quite big enough.Buy a 2 seater sofa and have it at the foot of your bed.We used to have one,the dogs loved it and then half of them would sleep on the sofa,freeing up bed space.

Lyd

We have 3 in bed with us, and i do agree when they are pups it seems to help them get through the night, I took Forest up with me after having a week with him on the setee, he just curled up and made very soft contented grunting noises ( well i think that was him) (w00t) and as im usually "up" in the night anyway, id just carry him downstairs and put him out in the garden to do his little tinkle

Annie is very pretty - can you tell us more about her?  Is she pedigreed?  From which lines?  Are you planning to show, course, race her?
Aslan --

Thank you! Yes, Annie is pedigreed. I'm not quite sure of her lines, but once we receive her AKC papers, that info will be on there. The breeder's Web site is: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Lane/2795/. We do not plan on showing her, but would like to find out more info on coursing or racing her. What kind of training is involved in this sport? It seems like the dogs have a lot of fun, not to mention the owners! :D

mitch and pippa sleep with us....whips are allowed in bed but the kids are'nt :b

Welcome to K9 Robena - Annie is such a pretty puppy :wub: We have 3 they all sleep in the kitchen in their beds, Soli our puppy is still crated but as soon as I can trust him to sleep and not to play and torment the other dogs in the night he can then join them on a beanbag :D

Carol

That's it...I've got to confess...our dogs sleep in our bed too. It's the only way to make Fred Whippet hold on all night without me having to get up at 2.00 am to let him out for a wee, or to find a puddle in the kitchen the next morning. (w00t)

That being the case Stan our mini Schnauzer can't be left out either. He sleeps on my husband's side and Fred sleeps on my side. They make great feet warmers.

To think my OH didn't like dogs when I first met him :lol:

robena said:
My vet said to hang bells on the door knob and to jingle them on the way out and say "out."  He said she will then learn to jingle them herself to signal us that she needs to go out. I put the bells up this morning and have started this method. Have any of you heard of this or use it yourselves?
We haven't trained them to do this but we leave our keys in the door and some of our dogs will go and rattle the keys with their nose to be let out. They obviously associate the noise with the door opening. They have us well trained anyway :D

Annie is just gorgeous by the way. Such a sweet feminine looking pup. :wub:

On the dogs in beds front, whats to stop young puppies having an accident in the bed? (since ive heard theyve no qualms if its a certain distance away) or somesuch thing... or does this just not happen? Id be scared id squash them in the night!! :teehee:

One whippy and two iggies share the bed.

Indy Whippet used to be in the bed but Emilie likes to sleep on top of the covers. She is so heavy to move though when she takes up the whole bed :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't see the photo :(

but yes (w00t) everyone in the bed here - can't resist a whippet asking for a piece of duvet :huggles:

When I got my first Whippet the breeder said to me "they are duvet dogs" and I (naively) said I didn't have dogs upstairs. 3 whippets later and they all sleep in my bedroom, supposedly in their beds but more often than not in mine!!! But rather them than the ex-hubby!! :)

Both of mine sleep in bed with us. They drive my OH mad because they are in and out all night. I quite often wake up with Bailey head across my neck. I think he's trying to suffocate me to make more room in the bed (w00t)

We're very cruel in this house, Alfie hasn't even been upstairs yet o:) ... he's also not allowed on the sofa (w00t) , he has a duvet in the kitchen and one in the front lounge and he hasn't complained yet, bless him... if only he knew.... ;)

3 Whippies & a miniature Wire Haired Dachshund in bed with me !! -_-

Gosh - how do you all get any sleep?

Digit and Audrey sleep downstairs in the kitchen - and the cats sleep by the radiator in the hall...............otherwise i don't get any rest at all

the cats paw my face when they want cuddles (which is always and at all times)

Digit gets up several times in the night if he's in the bedroom and sticks a cold wet nose in my face "just to see if it might possibly maybe could be morning yet!)

And Audrey takes up half a bed all by herself.

And my partner is a very heavy sleeper, so all animals have worked out that it's only any use hassling ME!

So all downstairs, and species-seperate...........if not, the dark rings under my eyes are worse than a junkie!

Sleep whats sleep? You get too hot, they get too hot spo get out, You then get too cold because they take the duvet with them. You then get trampled at least three times a night when they decide to go on mass for a group wee and have to check you are awake when they get back.

Havent the heart to say stay downstairs though.

Oh yes and there are great eye creams on the market for dark rings under eyes , it says especially designed for Whippet owners in the small print LOL :thumbsup:

Jan Doherty said:
Sleep whats sleep? You get too hot, they get too hot spo get out, You then get too cold because they take the duvet with them. You then get trampled at least three times a night when they decide to go on mass for a group wee and have to check you are awake when they get back.Havent the heart to say stay downstairs though.

Oh yes and there are great eye creams on the market for dark rings under eyes , it says especially designed for Whippet owners in the small print LOL :thumbsup:

lol! i just can't do it ........... without my allotted 8 hours i'm a right git -_-

the only time the dogs were allowed on the bed was a sat morning, but since we moved they arent even allowed that..we have a stair gate to stop them coming up stairs

they sleep down stairs in a crate which is in the kitchen (locked at the moment)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back