The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

White Puppy

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
All the puppies look very nice, I love the white one. One of my favorite ever Whippets is Am Ch Sporting Fields Sir Nolan, who was all white with a few specks of colour on his ears. :wub:

Super puppies, I think the white one is lovely and very unusual. Having my very own nearly all white pup, I have to say, it is not a very practical colour for the dirty little devil (w00t) . Jasmin is very pretty :wub:

I love white whippets but have never seen one totally white - without colour elsewhere. That makes him special.

As has been posted, I would recommend a BAER test as deafness is associated with white dogs/cats.

The litter is lovely. :thumbsup: Good luck with them.

Lovely puppies :wub: :wub: June Joke has an adorable colour, I like pure white whippets very much :thumbsup:

Ridgesetter said:
I love white whippets but have never seen one totally white - without colour elsewhere.  That makes him special. 
As has been posted, I would recommend a BAER test as deafness is associated with white dogs/cats.

The litter is lovely.  :thumbsup:   Good luck with them.

Only the ones with pale eyes and pink nose - white caused by the albino gene. This puppy looks as if he has a full pigment and little bit of colour around ears.

Lida

Seraphina said:
[Only the ones with pale eyes and pink nose - white caused by the albino gene.  This puppy looks as if he has a full pigment and little bit of colour around ears.    Lida

There are plenty of deaf Boxers, Dalmatians and Australian Cattle Dogs which is why it is a recommended procedure on these litters. For those not aware, Aussie Cattle Dogs are born white but colour up (in coat and pigment) to the point they have no white on them. It's also a standard test on some kitten breeds.

I may be wrong but I don't believe it's associated with lack of pigment but with the gene for white. Whippets have considerable white (and I've heard of deafness in the breed) but if you don't test, you don't know so I'm surprised that BAER testing isn't more routine.

Hmmm... sorry Toni I may be wrong. I was thinking of whites in Great Danes, pure white ones go blind within about 6 months of birth, i think they also are deaf. Wise breeder therefore PTS at birth pure white puppy. I only ever met one, he was about 6 months old and almost completely blind, his eyes were pale blue, he had no pigment on his nose and I am sure he was also deaf. It was just heartbreaking to see him trying to play and run and crashing into trees and his owners could not call him.

Isn't deafness also asociated with the merle genes - I think i remember vaguely that you must not breed a blue merle to another blue merle or you get deaf pups?????

I know it is some white cats with blue eyes that are deaf, friend of mine had one and his nose was pink. I do not think there is a defness problem with white green eyed cats or white orientals, and other cats with blue eyes of the siamese origin.

I have no experience with white boxers or cattle dogs. Surely the cattle dog could not be geneticaly the same white as whippets or other white born and stay white breeds?

Many borzois are almost pure white, we had a such puppy in a litter sired by my dog, she was absolutely beautiful, I always regretted I did not keep her. When she was born her membrane was hot pink (normal ones are bluey grey) I could not believe my eyes! And she had very black pigment on her nose and eye rimms, so from the moment she was born she looked as if she has an eye make up. Later on there was a little bit pale cream on her ears (if you looked really closely), and her eyes were pitch black. Her colour was not really a surprise as her sire only had few pale spots on him.

Lida

Just found an old pic of our Anastasia. Although she does look a bit scruffy in this photo, it was taken that day they broke into my laundry, where i was defrosting their dinner. Six of them ate 5kg of frozen chicken and were very sorry little babies. I t took few days before they were back to normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
My parents were once breeders of Dalmatians and we owned them for a number of years. Deafness is a problem in the breed and very rarely do you get an albino Dalmatian. They, like Cattle Dogs, are born white - unless they are 'patched', which will be present at birth.

However in my 17 years in whippets I have rarely heard of a deaf whippet in a litter and I have never met or heard of a deaf adult. In Dalmatians, (back then, not so sure about now) they were a common occurence.

aslan said:
My parents were once breeders of Dalmatians and we owned them for a number of years.  Deafness is a problem in the breed and very rarely do you get an albino Dalmatian.  They, like Cattle Dogs, are born white - unless they are 'patched', which will be present at birth.However in my 17 years in whippets I have rarely heard of a deaf whippet in a litter and I have never met or heard of a deaf adult.  In Dalmatians, (back then, not so sure about now) they were a common occurence.

Of-course, there must be a deafness not conected to colour. But that is not very relevant to this white puppy .

Talking about inheritance, has anybody here in Oz watched the first of 5 part program about DNA which started last Thursday on the ABC? Fascinating.

Lida

I am already upset and tried to use simply home metods to check is he deaf or blind ? No, he hears and sees. But does he need a BAER test in anyway to be sure in it?

Pipa said:
I am already upset and tried to use simply home metods to check is he deaf or blind ? No, he hears and sees. But does he need a BAER test in anyway to be sure in it?
I am sorry we upset you, I really do not think there is anything to worry about. I have never heard of inherited colour linked deafness in Whippets. The blindness in white Great Danes is caused by the fact that the eye has no pigment and the eye gets damaged by light - that is why it takes few months to loose sight. Your puppy has plenty of pigment and my guess is his eyes are going to be dark. And if he is responding to sounds he is NOT deaf. :thumbsup:

Lida

My Webpagehttp://www.asca.org/Education/Advanced/whitedeaf.htm

This link is for a page which explains why dogs lacking pigment are deaf, seems to be knowledgeble, even if talks about white pigment = there not such a thing. White is an absence of pigment.

My white whippet cross- I think she's stunning, though judges at lurcher shows where we compete don't always like her colour- lots say she'd be more highly placed if she was a different colour.

ps she's not deaf, but she does have a black ear

Nana_portrait.JPG

t_i_beautiful.JPG

Don´t worry about your puppy. Sure it is not deaf. It is only extremely piebald.

I send some pictures of my Arctica. She was born completely white. (there were two

puppies in the litter and one fawn).Both white pupiies had black pigment. Mother was fawn brindle and father fawn with a white head.He has so called gene for extremely piebald. He gave many white puppies

The first picture - puppies 1 day old

Arctica_1_day.JPG

at two weeks old puppies we can see fawn spots on their ears

Arctica_2_weeks.JPG

Four weeks old puppies - more spots

Arctica_4_weeks.JPG

1 month old - spots on her face

Arctica_1_month.JPG

5 years old - her ears and her body is piebald. The spots on her body came out when she was two years old.

Im002079.jpg

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back