The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

who would win the race?

I'm a bit dubious about the one report....
The hare that they are chasing

.........If it's old news, it's certainly been well buried. I'm not saying that you're wrong, just doing my own research.
Not quite. I've been across multiple sources that state the same thing. Most Greyhound experts say this. I've read the material and seen a video but only people that are really interested learn such things. For US' Greyhounds they average 55 miles an hour starting off but peak at 60 however the curves knock their speed down. Of course when you base your judgement on UK running dogs then it's hard to believe it but it's true.

But it's not just an American stated fact.

What you believe is entirely up to you but my comment was for everyone reading. This is not a persuasion essay. People can follow their own Greyhounds here in the USA are slightly faster than Cheetahs. People believe that Cheetahs run 60-70 mph but they simply don't, nor was their ORIGINAL speed said to be so high. They're fast but it's a tie between cheetahs, ostriches and CERTAIN antelopes. These animals at best run just around 50 miles an hour, more or less.

JudyN said:
I'm not saying that you're wrong, just doing my own research.
I don't think they train their dogs so well in the United Kingdom because it has even been reported by RUSSIANS, our "arch-adversary", that in Africa Greyhound's run 55 mph which is close proximity of US Greyhound's 60 mph. But in the U.K. I hear those dogs best out at 48 mph. If two opposing world's have said this what's happening with U.K. running dog? For example Black buck run 50+ miles an hour, I posted a video that was taken down(due to it being illegal in U.K.) of a Greyhound catching one

The View from the Vysotka: A portrait of Russia Today through one if Moscow's most famous addresses page 94 -
“African greyhounds sometimes reach speeds of FIFTY-FIVE MILES PER HOUR, but the borzoi only reach about forty miles an hour. They know perfectly well that racing is only a game. On the other hand they take hunting very seriously, but only when accompanied by horses. There are more and more Borzois in Russia-about 600 in Moscow alone. They are very aggressive animals and not aggressive towards people." The View from the Vysotka
The fastest dog on the day.
The fastest dog on the day.
A Greyhound losing to a dog that's like half it's size is sad.[/Quote]

Last edited:
I think the Saluki would be winning the best-looking competition. I'm not too sure about the race though, ive always assumed Greyhounds to be the fastest dog as they are used for the racing.

Mitchell Perry, as I said earlier it depends on how far. Salukis though not having as high a top speed as Greyhounds do they can run a lot further. Just as in humans Usain Bolt racing Mo Farrar would easily win over a short distance but Mo would win over a long one.

I think the Saluki would be winning the best-looking competition. I'm not too sure about the race though, ive always assumed Greyhounds to be the fastest dog as they are used for the racing.

Depends what country you live in... and I imagine on the length of the race.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back