who would win the race?

Josie

Administrator
Administrator
Registered
Wagso - Clevedon Dog Walking Services
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Greyhound:
GraceTheGreyhound.jpg

whippet:
90.jpeg

Irish wolfhound:
2-3qstance.jpg

Saluki:
1-3qstand.jpg

What is the terrain like, e.g. flat track or gorse-covered moors? Are tight corners involved?

flat race no corners....

Oh gosh @JudyN - I didn't really think into it too much did I!? :D

A mile.... is that too far?

At a mile the Saluki without a doubt. Up to 100 yards I'd go with the Whippet, then up to around 1/4 to 1/2 mile the Grey, above this Saluki. Wolfhound though most likely enjoying the run would never stand a chance.

The hare that they are chasing

I wouldn't count on it! I concur with @Biker John - though I wasn't sure of the distance at which the saluki would overtake the greyhound (and the greyhound would crumple into an exhausted heap).

it could be all the above and more all dogs can be quick... but i think maybe a wippet

the Saluki typically has greater endurance - the Whippet is faster over short distances, on the flat.
I agree the IW would enjoy the romp, but would be completely outclassed. ;)

it could be all the above and more all dogs can be quick... but i think maybe a wippet

At the racing club, every now and again someone turns up with a non Whippet, while we are setting up they say things like 'He is really fast'. Then the racing starts and they always say 'by heck he's not that fast'. The acceleration of a fit Whippet is phenominal.

I assume you're talking km per hour, not miles per hour?
No, miles an hour. Here in the USA a Greyhound is a little faster running at 60 miles an hour than a cheetah before the curve. But as it hit the curves to circle around, declines to 40 or 45 miles an hour. Cheetah's actual top speed is under 55 miles per hour. Irish Wolfhounds are incredible runners but MOST are not trained. Theodore Roosevelt's Irish Wolfhounds regularly caught Pronghorn Antelope which run 61 miles an hour.

Here's a Greyhound catching a 60 mile an hour lure.

Here's a Cheetah chasing a lure.

Last edited:
No, miles an hour. Here in the USA a Greyhound is a little faster running at 60 miles an hour than a cheetah before the curve. But as it hit the curves to circle around, declines to 40 or 45 miles an hour. Cheetah's actual top speed is only 55 miles per hour. Irish Wolfhounds are incredible runners but MOST are not trained. Theodore Roosevelt's Irish Wolfhounds regularly caught Pronghorn Antelope which run 61 miles an hour.

Do you have any independent sources for those speeds? I can't find anything online giving a top speed higher than 45mph for a greyhound (UK or US) and 35-40mph for an Irish wolfhound, whereas cheetahs have a recorded top speed of over 70mph.

Do you have any independent sources for those speeds? I can't find anything online giving a top speed higher than 45mph for a greyhound (UK or US) and 35-40mph for an Irish wolfhound, whereas cheetahs have a recorded top speed of over 70mph.
There has NEVER-No-NEVER been a recorded speed of 70 miles an hour for Cheetahs, or ANY animal for that matter. It was a guestimate that early researchers placed the Cheetah's speed at using unreliable stopwatches. Radar recordings bare more reliable and they place the Cheetah's top speed at around 55 miles an hour but even that's uncommon. The Cheetah averages 35 - 45 miles an hour though SOME can hit around 55. The up-to-date studies even state that 80-90 and now even 70 miles an hour were all bizarre exaggerations. They are slower than the North American pronghorn Antelope by about 6 mph.

If you don't know that Greyhounds run 55 - 60 miles an hour then that's sad because it's actually old news. They run 45 miles an hour at he race's END. Retired races run 40 - 45 but even in the USA some do about 51 miles an hour. Irish Wolfhounds
LATimes said:
Greyhound Racing : Sport of Kings? No, but It's Doggone Profitable
March 07, 1986|CARLA RIVERA | Times Staff Writer
VISTA — During the next several months, Linda Bryan's four "kids" will run in nearly 20 races around the country. They will travel to racecourses from Portland, Ore., and Yuma, Ariz., to West Memphis, Ark., and Hollywood, Fla. Bryan thinks that all of them will be winners.

Bryan's "kids" are not sons and daughters, and the races are not big-time marathons. Bryan races greyhounds, a $2-billion-a-year industry that enthusiasts tout as the racing sport for common folk.

Bryan, a medical secretary, has been in the business just three years but has already set her sights on the top, where the best breeding and training kennels can reap nearly $200,000 in a five-month season while running as few as 10 dogs.

Her interest in the sport started about three years ago when her husband showed her an article in Money magazine about the lucrative side of dog racing.

pixel.gif

"I spent a year and a half just researching the industry and realized there was a pretty good reward for your effort," Bryan said. "But you have to find the right people in the business . . . the trainers and breeders you can trust. You have to know about bloodlines and where the best kennels are."

Bryan has been raising and breeding animals--show dogs, cats, chinchillas--for about 15 years. She believes she can make more money in the greyhound-breeding business.

About a year ago, Bryan helped establish the Southern California Greyhound Assn., an organization of greyhound owners and breeders in San Diego County, Orange County and the Los Angeles area. The group has instituted an adopt-a-greyhound program, to find homes for greyhounds who have retired from the track, most of them from Agua Caliente, across the Mexican border. Two or three dogs a week come off the Caliente track, and if they are not adopted or used for breeding they are killed.

A more important goal of the organization is to raise money to build a training track so that owners do not have to ship their dogs out of the state. The tracks nearest California are in Oregon and Arizona, and Bryan has dogs training as far away as Kansas. A track in Southern California would mean more control for owners over the training and care of their dogs, Bryan said.

"I want to be able to make sure that the dogs are getting the best treatment, being fed properly and being handled, which is important," Bryan said. "Some trainers have more than 100 pups and it's not possible that all of them are receiving the same care and conditioning."

William Karow, president of the Southern California Greyhound Assn. and a Vista resident, estimates that it would cost $100,000 to build a proper training track in the area.

The track would have to be of regulation size (a 400- to 550-yard oval) and include equipment for a mechanical lure, holding pens, equipment for timing and filming races, night lights and a small grandstand.

The dogs are trained to race after a lure, to break swiftly out of the box and to run with the pack. A typical race of five-sixteenths of a mile will take less then a minute, the dogs averaging 40 m.p.h. and hitting top speeds of 60 m.p.h.

"We would like to think that within one to two years we will have the training track in operation," Karow said. "I think then it would be much easier to expose the industry to people and have them become more involved. People will find that even with no experience, this is a poor man's way to invest in a racing sport."

pixel.gif

Bryan said that even a mediocre dog can earn about $10,000 a season. In some stakes races, the first-place prize can be $40,000 to $60,000. In Florida, which has 19 tracks, dog racing is one of the most popular spectator sports, she said.

The long-range goal that most greyhound racing enthusiasts in California talk about is legalized betting on dog racing in the state. An attempt was made in 1978, when enough support was gained to place an initiative on the ballot. But it failed overwhelmingly, in part, Karow said, because of strong opposition by the powerful horse-racing lobby.

Bryan said that greyhound owners are primed to attempt another initiative in the near future.

But any new attempt to legalize greyhound racing would also come under scrutiny from animal-rights groups, which have charged that dogs are mistreated during training. In some states the use of live lures--usually rabbits--is allowed in training, although not in races.

Fred Lee, executive director of the San Diego Humane Society, said his organization opposes legalized dog racing.

"We are concerned with cruelty to animals," Lee said. "One major objection would be to the methods used in training dogs . . . and the use of live lures. Of course, as long as a group conforms to California laws, then even if we don't like a situation there is not much we can do about it. We would hope that we would be able to work with them to see that animals are not mistreated."

Karow said that the days when racing dogs may have been mistreated are long over.

"There are always bad apples in everything, but it is not common," he said. "The racing environment does not add to mistreatment but probably subtracts from it because trainers and owners are most interested in what is good for the dog, and what is best for the dog makes him a winner."
Greyhound Racing : Sport of Kings? No, but It's Doggone Profitable

Cheetahs top speed is actually around 58mph rather than 70mph | Daily Mail Online

Cheetahs 'slower than we thought': Big cats' top speed is actually around 58mph rather than 70mph that has been accepted for decades
  • Myth busted by researchers who attached GPS trackers to big cats
  • They gathered data from 367 hunts and 58mph was the top speed
  • Results will be shown on Sir David Attenborough's new TV series
By JEMMA BUCKLEY FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 20:33 EDT, 27 January 2015 | UPDATED: 03:44 EDT, 28 January 2015

It has long been admired as the fastest animal. But it seems the cheetah’s lead over other species is not as wide as we thought.

Research shows that the feline’s top speed is just 58mph, rather than the 70mph which was accepted for decades.

a Dane & an IW coursing a lure -

3 IWs coursing, jacketed, at a club event in Ireland -

FCI Euro Hunstetten, 2015: IW Fs, 1st race

- terry

If you don't know that Greyhounds run 55 - 60 miles an hour then that's sad because it's actually old news.

I'm a bit dubious about the one report you mentioned just because I can't find anything corroborating it on the internet. If it's old news, it's certainly been well buried. I'm not saying that you're wrong, just doing my own research.

The case of the cheetah is interesting. According to Wikipedia, 'the most reliable measurement of the typical speed during a short chase is 112 km/h (70 mph).[13][69][106][107] However, this value of the maximum speed is disputed,[13] with more recent measurements using solar-powered GPS collars in 367 hunts showing a maximum speed of 93 km/h (58 mph).[108][109]

So to me, the jury is still out on that one. I'd need to check the evidence cited for the higher speeds. I'd certainly not regard the Daily Mail or pretty much any media source as reliable!

Scottish Deerhound vs. Whippet. Sidenote, a Whippet is not as fast as a Sloughi at all. Whippets are historically rumoured as quicker accelerators than the Greyhound and ALL dogs for that matter, but that also applies to the Cheetah and yet the Greyhound is quicker than both accelerators. But Sloughis can do 50 miles an hour in Arabia while Whippets top out at 40. It has much to do with SIZE and length as to why Sloughis are faster than Whippets. But well trained Scottish Deerhounds are competitive!

Other than the Greyhound, Saluki/Sloughi, Whippet the vast majority of sighthounds are NOT TRAINED TO COURSE. Greyhounds are major track runners and even retired Grehounds that run lure coursing meets are more conditioned to win than any other coursing breed. Salukis are likewise trained regularly in Arabia and Whippets next. Other breeds simply run because their owners take them to occasional meets simply because it's a sighthound but VERY FEW members of other breeds are trained coursers so it's hard to determine their actual capability.

I know that well-trained Scottish Deerhound in early America could do slightly slower than the English Greyhound at about 59 miles an hour. Quicker than a Saluki, Whippet and most other! But be honest, how many well-trained Scottish Deerhound have you seen??? Standard lure coursing meets are merely a matchup of largely 3 trained coursing breeds vs the untrained rest. What if a trained Irish Wolfhound or Scottish Deerhound raced against the others? There would be some upsets. Theodore Roosevelt's and Custer's pets were examples.

Last edited:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back