The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Who's Had Their Bitch Spayed

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
All of mine are spayed or neutered except Daisy. Daisy hasn't had her first season yet. Niamh had her op last November and recovered well. I had her on strict cage rest which she hated but she'd had some minor bleeding after the op and I wanted to be safe rather than sorry. After a few days I let her mingle a lot more. You won't have this problem, but Mum had Albie & Logan for the week to help keep things calmer. :thumbsup: Believe me, 9 times out of 10 you will suffer far more than Sada will after the op!

I was doubly anxious with Niamh because she is so small and dainty. I needn't have worried though because she's a tough little madam. :wub: :wub:

Is there any argument against spaying??? I wasnt planning on getting my puppy spayed - but i also havent any intentions of breeding from her. but i wouldnt want to make that decision now incase i regreted it later. Opinions please..... :thumbsup:

ann remember the tale of sophie ripping her shoulder open at 11 yrs old then being speyed 5 days later? i brought her home on the thurs , and had a show on the sunday , everyone asked if madam was showing ( she loves it and well known locally for going in ANY class she feels like :b :- " ) as they were doing my entries and me explaining what a terrible week she had had , the judge called next on table and i feel myself get pulled backwards as the little madam put HERSELF on the table!!!! so she was entred and went on to win best rescue and best veteran in show!!!! :oops: so thats how quick some recover :huggles: dads lurcher ( mabels mum ) was out solo hunting a week after surgery when dad had her out for light exercise :lol:

like us human girls they can all be a variation of the norm, some women (not many) never have a pain all their childbearing years from periods, whilst others :- " :b have 5 units of blood transfused for a 'heavy' period :blink:

Let her have another season to see if she improves. Our Ella was so morose for 5 + weeks and very miserable, it didn't get any better so I took her for the op. I couldn't bear to let her have pups for lots of reasons.

The vet got the Spanish inquisition from me, I was even quizzing her about how they lay a whippet down supine for the op when they are so slim they can't lie on their backs.........................WE USE A SOFT TROUGH !! was the obvious reply.

Some dogs jump in the car post op, oh no not Ella....she was carried out in her blanket by the vet nurse with her ears all turned down and boy was she sad for quite a few days, hardly eating/drinking.

But she then bounced back :D

:luck: in your decision

We got Penny spayed after her first season, the worst thing was leaving her at the vets :( there was only one other dog in and she was put in a kennel next to that, for some reason she had to be put there first, and this dog was howling and howling in distress, I felt really bad for it but also for Penny who had to be in that environment as stress can pass on. When we left through all the howling I heard one little cry and it was her, it broke our hearts, couldn't wait to get her home.

When we went to collect her she came running through all happy. She has been fine since getting it done, she got kept on the lead for a while once it was done but was back to normal very quickly. we didn't intend for her to have any pups so it seemed the best option.

Good luck in what you decide to do and I hope Sada is feeling better soon.

~Sarah~ said:
I totally agree with you Janet.  :thumbsup:   I worked for a vet years ago and witnessed many bitches needing emergency ops due to pyometra - or worse still some that died. I recall a lovely Dobermann  :wub:   that had been an inpatient for a while after having her leg pinned/plated due to an RTA, and then months later she died due to an undetected pyo. We were all so sad.  :(   Also I never forgot a little Yorkie's with pyo - her womb filled a washing up bowl.  :eek:   Luckily she recovered well.
My two girls were spayed (they had both had a season first) and were fine. You just need to be sensible and keep them very quiet.  I was advised to keep them on the lead until the stitches had been removed (about 10 days) and then gentle exercise for about another week or so.

Good luck with whatever your decision.  :luck:

I witnessed much the same as you Sarah when I worked for a vet. All my bitches have been spayed, as I too lived in fear after every season. Also my first whippet had mammary tumours removed - they returned and she had to have a full mammary strip - she was spayed at the same time, and it turned out she was starting with a pyo - she lived to a good age.

It can be a sorry time for them being in season. One of my bitches was spayed at 5 months (recommended at vets where I worked), I actually wouldn't do it again, and would advise anyone to let their bitches have a season first. The last bitch I had spayed free ran after 10 days, and raced again after 14 days. The vet said let her do what she wants to - so I did :thumbsup: Mind you I've never seen such a small spay wound - only 2 stitches, it was excellent.

As with everything in life there are always pros and cons. Here is the link with some of the the problems that can be associated with spaying (especially early spaying or castration).

My Webpage

Of-course the main benefit is that desexed dog will not present you with unwanted litter and that is why not many vets are game enough to talk about the negatives.

If you do decide to have her spayed wait the 3 - 4 months after her season, when he hormones settle down :) :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing to take into account is that mammary tumours are almost unknown in bitches spayed early, after their first or second seasons. The risk is reduced a great deal if they are spayed up to their fourth season. Spaying after that makes little difference to the likelihood of mammary tumours developing later in life.

My three bitches are rescues, so all spayed. Unfortunately two of them already had mammary cancer when they came into rescue (both were around 7 yrs). Although the tumours have been removed I live in fear of them recurring or secondary tumours developing. Personally I'd always spay early to prevent this horrible disease.

My two girls were spayed after their first season, and I felt much better about it after making sure that the vet knew sighthound anesthesia and did pre-op blood work--a bit more $$, but worth it as I was nervous about putting them under at all. Long story short, both came through with flying colors--kept them on lead for about three days so they wouldn't go crazy playing with each other, leaping off deck and other normal whippet behavior. While my vet said ten days, their incisions really didn't take more than about five to at least look healed up, and they were their usual happy selves (minus running like banshees) after the second day. So, if you decide to do it, encouragement for you and for Sada.

My whippet Ellie went through the same personality transplant that you talk about. I had her spayed and now she has settled down. Vets do like them to have gone through at least one season though :0)

Good luck

Hi,

I had my bitch speyed at 2 years. Her first season went fine, hardly noticed she was having one but the second was horrid. She was moody and unsettled. She picked fights with everyone. She didn't want to go out, just sulked.

As soon as I could I had her booked in but when the day came it turned out she was having a phatom pregancy so had to have it postponed.

The operaqtion went fine but she was sore for a few days and had to be carried everywhere as she refused to walk. However once the initial shock was over I couldn't keep her still so I let her got on with it and she was fine.

Planning to have my new pup done as soon as he is old enough.

We had Kim done after her 2nd litter and she was like a new dog less nervous and came right out of her shell :thumbsup:

Mmmm didn't realise it might help in other ways..........my

Sada is nervous as i said earlier in this topic.....i'd love

for her to settle more :))

ann we are getting princess phoebe speyed in march and you have seen how nervous she is ........but we are sure its the right thing to do for her...i have spoken to my doctor abt it and he will be giving me some valium so i can cope!!!! i am so frightend for her but no it is the right thing...maybe we should meet up when having the girls done and share a bottle of gin lol..........just think how nice it will be for the girls playing on the beach without the boy doggies up there bits n pieces all the time lol.xxxxxx

Make it Vodka and you've got a deal :lol:

I've had Boxers and Tibetan Spaniels speyed in the past for several different reasons and none have had negative responses (although my MAJOR wimp Tib wouldn't wee for three days afterwards :blink: )

Has anyone with speyed bitches noticed any coat changes - I don't want to loose that Whippet silk :))

meddling said:
I've had Boxers and Tibetan Spaniels speyed in the past for several different reasons and none have had negative responses
The negatives may come out years later. Such as incontinence or changes in bone density etc. that is not something that you notice week after the op. Did you read the article I put link to in post #27 above?

To spay or not is an individual choice and I respect people's right to do so, but they should be aware of ALL the implications.

Last edited by a moderator:
meddling said:
Has anyone with speyed bitches noticed any coat changes - I don't want to loose that Whippet silk  :))
I know many spayed Whippets and their coats did not change. Many long haired breeds do drop their coats while in season (my Afghan used to look like a mangy Saluki (w00t) ), when spayed they look gorgeous all the time :) , well as long as you keep brushing 10x a day.

The coat can change but i think it is rare in Whippet. However, spaying cuts off abruptly the production of hormones, which can cause imbalance. Therefore it is a good idea to wait well after the season. :thumbsup: :luck:

That's another plus then..............Sada has a lovely coat

and i dont want her to lose that :))

Seraphina said:
meddling said:
I've had Boxers and Tibetan Spaniels speyed in the past for several different reasons and none have had negative responses
The negatives may come out years later. Such as incontinence or changes in bone density etc. that is not something that you notice week after the op. Did you read the article I put link to in post #27 above?

To spay or not is an individual choice and I respect people's right to do so, but they should be aware of ALL the implications.

Thanks Seraphina

That is a very interesting article and has cancelled some of the myths that I've heard in the past. :thumbsup:

My Speyed Girls in the past have lived to 13 and the fact that my unspeyed bitch lived to 9.5 when extensive mammary tumours became unmanageable :( - but she was a boxer who are very prone to cancer (her mother [un-speyed] died at 10.5 :( from a brain tumour and her daughter from a heart tumour at 9.5 :( )

My previous bitches have been speyed one due to a nightmare pregnancy which resulted in ceasarian, eclampsia and some very tramatic rushes to the vet, and another due to her 3 monthly seasons which lasted 6 weeks each :blink: !

My Dog was neutered as he was a randy sod when he came out of rescue (anything that moved...or not...) it put paid to his humping instantly and he's never done it since and has been the perfect dog ever since :wub:

I'm in two minds over speying Bluebell - I would leave it to much later anyhow, but as I don't wish to breed due to the over population of Whips...

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back