The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Why???

xxxamyxxx

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
as some of you may know i have been looking for a greyhound rescue and i came across this

My Webpage

it says that black males are often over looked but why is this? I find the black bitches/dogs adorable but why do they appear to have so much trouble re homing black boys? :unsure: :( :unsure: :(

amy

xxxamyxxx said:
as some of you may know i have been looking for a greyhound rescue and i came across this
My Webpage

it says that black males are often over looked but why is this? I find the black bitches/dogs adorable but why do they appear to have so much trouble re homing black boys? :unsure:   :(   :unsure:   :(

amy

they seem to say this on most of the greyhound rescue sites!! it seems to be that most are bigger than normal?

scotty

i'v read that its not just greyhounds but all black dogs get over looked. A friend of mine got a blck lab, that was in kennels for over 1 year because it was blck, no one would say why this happened, even when people who were looking for a lab walked straight past her. :(

Same for black cats - they are always hardest to rehome too.

awww i hope my mums friend can give one a good home!

Also how big do the racing greyhound grow? i know they are smaller than show greyhounds but are the racing ones alot bigger than a whippet?

thanks

amy

ALL black dogs are difficult to rehome. Rescues try not to have a whole kennel line of black dogs because people just don't look at them. They aren't flashy enough to catch the eye.

Black greyhounds. Well they are black, big and smooth coated. None of which ='s cute. Now go and read what kinds of dogs were pts straight away at Leigh rescue because they aren't rehomable.

I love black greyhounds... i have a black bitch at home who has the most stunning eyes, they are gorgeous looking dogs but unfortunately blacks do get over looked.

I love the blacks too. My first ever greyhound was a huge black boy who had been waiting in kennels 2 years for a home. His story is here:

Coal's Story

I have a black bitch here now, my lovely Molly, who at nearly 13 is still slim, beautiful and only a bit grey. I wish the same could be said of me!

Feefee ~ i loved your story of coal but wish i hadnt read it as im sitting here now trying to hold back the tears... it was so good of you to give this lovely lad a chance...

Just to include a picture of my little sweetie.... " KRISTEN "

kristen.jpg

Shes 5 years old next month but as you can see has a touch of grey ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Of all litters born in the past couple of years the colours are almost all black due to a lot of good stud dogs used being black. Id say nearly all 'HONCHO' dogs are black and i think a lot of 'DROOPYS' are black.

So with roughly 80 odd % being born black i reckon theres a heck of a lot to rehome later on.

Also even though black dogs look great as youngsters, they are more prone or even more noticeably flaky skin, dull coat and the noticeable grey beard! Poor things, i suppose if kenneled next to a fawn or brindle they wouldn't be very eyecatching.

I understand that Leigh didn't even tried to rehome the greyhounds which is a real pity as if it is a money orientated rescue centre they could've been paid for keeping Greyhounds by the Retired Greyhound Trust.

In reply to Amy, i thought my greyhounds were beasties but having seen the show variety the show greyhounds are a little bigger. I have had greyhounds ranging from 55lb to 85lb so you can see the difference in sizes just like Whippets.

I love black dogs! I'd have a whole house full if I could. They are lovely and shiny and handsome - Tiny just got 2nd in Most Appealing Eyes (Melton Fair) and 2nd in Most Handsome Dog (RSPCA show).

Picture1%20132.jpg

And just for balance I love my Max too!!

Picture1%20134.jpg

Picture1%20139.jpg

Now tell me they're not cute!!

Black Hounds are BEAUTIFUL!! :wub:

Oh well, if we're posting pictures....... any excuse to show off my lass. This was taken on Molly's 12th birthday - her 13th is coming up shortly, which has to be a good excuse for a party!

Molly_Nov05.jpg

thanks for the pictures everyone. clairej810 tiny looks very small compared to max! (my guessing thats where he got his name from LOL!) I love jut how shiny black coats can look! I guess if they are starting to go grey that puts people off thinking they are much older but i think when choosing a dog you have to choose the one that gives you that special look and no matter how old they may `look` shouldnt realy effect your decision over choosing the `special` dog! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

xxxamyxxx said:
thanks for the pictures everyone. clairej810 tiny looks very small compared to max! (my guessing thats where he got his name from LOL!) I love jut how shiny black coats can look! I guess if they are starting to go grey that puts people off thinking they are much older but i think when choosing a dog you have to choose the one that gives you that special look and no matter how old they may `look` shouldnt realy effect your decision over choosing the `special` dog! :wub:   :wub:   :wub:   :wub:
Tiny was the runt of a litter, he is quite a bit smaller than most males and some females. He was named Tiny when he got picked up from an Irish pound - I'm guessing someone said "oh, he's so tiny" and it stuck. MJ (Wolfhound) had him in foster care for 5 months before he was fit enough to be rehomed to me. He is 2 now and is going grey already! I think it makes them look distinguished! :thumbsup: :wub:

awwwww,molly. :wub: :wub: :wub: love seeing pics of oldies :wub:

Oh no, that does it, I've just read about "Coal" and I'm in bits.

*edited to add* But I am so glad he had a happy rest-of-his-life with you. He was loved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to depress anyone with Coal's story. I was devasted to lose him, he was a very special dog, but we had three wonderful years with him.

My main memory of him when I think back now is of him learning to play with toys, whch always made me laugh. He was so large and so elegant and dignified, but would suddenly go all goofy and puppyish charging around the garden (usually with one of my shoes). :lol: :lol:

FeeFee said:
Lol, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to depress anyone with Coal's story.  I was devasted to lose him, he was a very special dog, but we had three wonderful years with him.
My main memory of him when I think back now is of him learning to play with toys, whch always made me laugh. He was so large and so elegant and dignified, but would suddenly go all goofy and puppyish charging around the garden (usually with one of my shoes).  :lol:   :lol:

Ooh no, you didn't depress me ... I was just overcome at the thought that he could have been overlooked and you might never have known the 3 years of happiness with him.

I have read that before, in articles about rehoming dogs, that black dogs are overlooked, people just don't seem to notice them in the same way as a flashily-marked dog might be noticed.

Black hounds are beautiful, its such a shame they get over looked.

Heres a couple of pics of my black girl Judy who just happens to be a Droopys

0bf6570d.jpg

judy_asleep.jpg

Alyson 'n' Hounds

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back