The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Windows Xp Internet Problem

LasVegasNo1

Waiting for Telstra
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Can anyone help please????? I have just installed (then unistalled) McAfee. I am using XP and have 3 user accounts. Now 2 of these accounts can't access the internet? Why??? What should I do to enable them to access the internet again? I am sooo frustrated... I just don't know where it all went wrong?? :'( :'( :'(

Does the McAfee product your using have a firewall incorporated in it (I expect the answer is yes)? The problem is almost certainly the firewall blocking access to the ports for web access - either 80 for http or 443 for https.

Try turning McAfee firewall off for a moment to see if that restores access. If it's windows XP SP2 you're using it has its own built in firewall which you should use (preferably make sure thats on before you turn off the McAfee firewall)

Personally, from past experience I wouldn't use McAfee AV. I've had some very bad experiences with their products in the past - it's very unlickely I'll ever install McAfee software again :unsure:

Right McAfee is now completely removed, just the Windows firewall running and still nothing :( I really don't know why this has happened. Why has this one account got access yet the other two have been striped of it? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I went for a system restore in the end :sweating: And have now carefully installed the anti-virus software - fingers crossed everything seems OK :thumbsup:

Microsoft Anti-spyware and virus is now available for free, the anti-virus companys are getting nervous now its gone public, because it costs nothing.

www.computeractive.co.uk

Also use the Microsoft Update, it scans your computer for free and will list updates which may be required by your Operating System, XP , 98 etc.

Mike

Thanks for that Mike, I didn't realise you could get reliable anti-virus software free now! :wacko: :- " I'll give McAfee a go for a year now and then maybe swap to Microsoft after that. I only went for McAfee because we have it at work and I have always found it very good (no viruses yet - touch wood! :sweating: )

Hope this information helps you. I have windows XP. Recently my computer crashed even though I had Norton anti virus installed and updated.

My computer went in and was "wiped clean" from trojans etc. and then P.C. World installed McAfee Internet Security for me. After reading the instructions in the manual it clearly stated that you must not let the McAfee and the XP Firewall run together. Therefore, when I log on I "disable" the Norton Firewall and my p.c. is then totally protected by the McAfee. I have been operating my p.c. like this now for a month and it seems to be working OK.

I use Zone alarm which is a fire wall

AVG which is a virus detector

Both are free and never had any trouble with either.

I have Norton Antivirus and subscription has ran out - so downloaded the one Nigel recommended on here.(AV i think) I also have spybot and AOL spyware.

Does anyone know if its ok to have more than one on the Pc - weve just got Broadband and AOL 9 but my computer still seems slow at times. Any tips from people would be appreciated. I havent got Firewall at all I dont think anyway.

Do I take Norton off completly because the reminder keeps coming up ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Norton can clash with other AV programs! :blink:

IMO I'd blitz it off your PC!

Thanks Scott - think Ill do that. :thumbsup:

Jan you should get McAfee Firewall free from AOL when you upgraded to broadband? ** Yes just checked go to AOL keyword 'McAfee Firewall' and download it :thumbsup: **

Aswell as that I also have McAfee Virus Scan and NoAdware which is available at noadware.net. NoAdware is a one off payment whereas McAfee is a subscription.

Hope that helps :D

LasVegasNo1 said:
Jan you should get McAfee Firewall free from AOL when you upgraded to broadband? ** Yes just checked go to AOL keyword 'McAfee Firewall' and download it :thumbsup: **
Aswell as that I also have McAfee Virus Scan and NoAdware which is available at noadware.net. NoAdware is a one off payment whereas McAfee is a subscription.

Hope that helps :D

Managed to get the free download thanks Sarah on AOL and also Spyware - the Pc Seems better already - Cheers.

Janis :thumbsup:

Honeybee said:
Hope this information helps you.  I have windows XP.  Recently my computer crashed even though I had Norton anti virus installed and updated. 
My computer went in and was "wiped clean" from trojans etc. and then P.C. World  installed McAfee Internet Security for me.  After reading the instructions in the manual it clearly stated that you must not let the McAfee and the XP Firewall run together.  Therefore, when I log on I "disable" the Norton Firewall and my p.c. is then totally protected by the McAfee.  I have been operating my p.c. like this now for a month and it seems to be working OK.

Iuse A.V.G. as well its spot on and absolutely free. I got a trojan a few weeks ago and it found it and dumped it in the vault staight away.when I used norton I was allways getting viruses. If you are interested just go to www.grisoft.co.uk yours TerryC

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back